• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Off-Season Thread

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, Mitch and the Lakers got screwed by Stern with the Paul nixed trade.

But, when you panic to come up with a plan B, sometimes you end up overpaying, and that's what he did.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now there are pundit rumors that the Lakers should consider signing Dwight as a FA. Gimme a friggin break!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy had a bad back long before the Lakers traded for him.

Giving up 2 1st rounders for him was ridiculous then, and it looks horrible now.

Yes, he did. However, he also looked to have it managed prior to that and was averaging around 15 points and 11 assists in the seasons prior to joining the Lakers.

The Lakers took a big gamble to try and get another title or 2 before Kobe retired and it went bust. It happens. Whether you liked the trade at the time or not, doesn't mean that it wasn't something that every GM in the league would have done or that everyone at the time was saying that it put the Lakers right back in the finals.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now there are pundit rumors that the Lakers should consider signing Dwight as a FA. Gimme a friggin break!

:lol: at media dumbasses trying to come up with click bait. I think/hope the Lakers have had their fill of Dwight.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he did. However, he also looked to have it managed prior to that and was averaging around 15 points and 11 assists in the seasons prior to joining the Lakers.

The Lakers took a big gamble to try and get another title or 2 before Kobe retired and it went bust. It happens. Whether you liked the trade at the time or not, doesn't mean that it wasn't something that every GM in the league would have done or that everyone at the time was saying that it put the Lakers right back in the finals.

Nash averaged over 12 and 10 the season in Phoenix prior to the trade. He was close to another 50-40-90 season. He was pretty healthy. If not for the leg injury in the 2nd game of his Lakers career, the story may have been different. Fortunately the Lakers have held onto that #1 pick the last couple of seasons.

As much as I have bashed him in the past, I wouldn't mind seeing him as a developmental coach next season, similar to his position in Golden State. That would be a huge benefit for Russell.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he could focus on rebounding, defense, and the pick & roll, he would be a great fit. We all know he won't, and will instead complain about not getting enough post touches and fail to take anything seriously. If only he would grow up...

There are so many other options at center that it would take some bad luck to get down to Dwight on the priority list. Whiteside, Noah, Horford, Gasol, Ezeli, Mahinmi, Biyombo, etc. (not necessarily in that order).

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nash averaged over 12 and 10 the season in Phoenix prior to the trade. He was close to another 50-40-90 season. He was pretty healthy. If not for the leg injury in the 2nd game of his Lakers career, the story may have been different. Fortunately the Lakers have held onto that #1 pick the last couple of seasons.

As much as I have bashed him in the past, I wouldn't mind seeing him as a developmental coach next season, similar to his position in Golden State. That would be a huge benefit for Russell.

Agree. I think people forget about that freak leg injury (I know I did). Without that, folks may well be talking about what a great trade it was.

I will also add that I don't see Dwight/Nash as a panic move in reaction to the vetoed trade for CP3. That was in the 2011 off-season, Dwight/Hash was the following season. So, they had a full year to decide what to do next.

Also, they knew that if the Dwight/Nash deal blew up, they were going to be in a world of hurt for at least 3 years. Considering what they've pulled off (some shrewd drafting, some lottery luck), I'd say they've done as well as could be expected in putting together a talented young core.

As a Lakers fan, outside of a couple of coaching hires, which they have fixed, I have no complaints.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I think people forget about that freak leg injury (I know I did). Without that, folks may well be talking about what a great trade it was.

I will also add that I don't see Dwight/Nash as a panic move in reaction to the vetoed trade for CP3. That was in the 2011 off-season, Dwight/Hash was the following season. So, they had a full year to decide what to do next.

Also, they knew that if the Dwight/Nash deal blew up, they were going to be in a world of hurt for at least 3 years. Considering what they've pulled off (some shrewd drafting, some lottery luck), I'd say they've done as well as could be expected in putting together a talented young core.

As a Lakers fan, outside of a couple of coaching hires, which they have fixed, I have no complaints.

Injuries have a way of screwing things up. Nash - Leg/Back. Kobe - Achilles. Dwight - Back/Pussy

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Mannix from The Vertical was on Dan Patrick this morning and said that a lot of teams are trying to trade up to get the #2 pick and grab Ingram. He says that it's likely going to cost at least 3 first round picks to get it done. He said that, even then, it would only be if there is someone available a little later, where the Lakers feel the gap between Ingram and that player is small enough to make it worth the trade to get more 1st rounders.

Mannix also said that Ingram may be the skinniest player he has ever seen. He said they are trying to put weight on him, but that part of the problem is that he has a very small waist and that doesn't usually bode well for adding weight.

He also said that from what he has seen in workouts, Ingram's 3 point shot looks to be NBA ready.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if the rumors about Philadelphia taking Simmons have any merit, the chances of trading the pick become better because the Lakers are really not sold on Ingram as much as they are Simmons even though for Philadelphia Simmons has intimated he only really wants to play for the Lakers.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if the rumors about Philadelphia taking Simmons have any merit, the chances of trading the pick become better because the Lakers are really not sold on Ingram as much as they are Simmons even though for Philadelphia Simmons has intimated he only really wants to play for the Lakers.
I like ingram. He can turn into KD. I hope they keep the pick.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the only reason to sign DeRozan or Barnes would be if the Lakers are going to trade the pick or trade Clarkson. They will be drafting either Simmons or Ingram and either one will fill the spot at SF.

If they choose to trade the pick, then I'd prefer Barnes over DeRozan because DeRozan is on the small side for an SF. If they are going to trade Clarkson, then I'd like to see them go after DeRozan. I really liked him in the regular season, soured on him early in the playoffs, but he stood up well against the Cavs.

He can get to the hoop and has a very good mid-range game. He'll need to improve his 3 point shooting to take the next step though.
Definitely, I guess the thing that worries me most about Derozan, is that he tends to have a Kobe mindset of putting shots up, without Kobe's all around game ability. As for Clarkson, he's said that he's willing to come off the bench for Luke...so that gives us the ability to start Ingram and whomever at SG/SF

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely, I guess the thing that worries me most about Derozan, is that he tends to have a Kobe mindset of putting shots up, without Kobe's all around game ability. As for Clarkson, he's said that he's willing to come off the bench for Luke...so that gives us the ability to start Ingram and whomever at SG/SF

If they were to end up with DeRozan (and rumor is that they aren't as high on him as some thought) then hopefully Luke could get the "Kobe" out of him and get him to play as part of a system. I think he would do well if he were in a system similar to GSW's where the ball movement led to open shots rather than him trying to be like Kobe and dominate the ball to create his own shot.

Gotta loveClarkson being willing to come off the bench. Talk about a team guy. He could really strengthen the bench if they got the right guy to play the 2.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they do take Ingram at number two, the Lakers have another ten players to consider in the second round. One of the more intriguing is Thon Maker who is listed on the post article list and has been in to Lakerland for an interview and a look-see. Wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a second round pick for the Lakers

10 Players The Los Angeles Lakers Should Consider With The 32nd Pick - Lakers Nation

Wouldn't mind them taking Maker at all. He's supposed to have tremendous upside, but he's a 3-4 year project.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I agree TJF12. Just gives everyone the notion that Luke has that kind of an effect on the younger players when Clarkson stated he is willing to come off the bench. That kind of selfless attitude can become infectious and I hope it does because that is the old Lakers attitude.

On Maker. Yep, I agree he is a project but if they land Whiteside, he could be a steal of the draft! And even if they don't land Whiteside, Maker is still a very good choice in the second.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers could easily send Maker to the D-League for some size and strength work and experience and bring him along slowly like they did with Anthony Brown who is now ready to play some serious minutes.