• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Off-Season Thread

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The perfect offseason would be KD and Whiteside to the Lakers.

And we'd be contenders again.

And then I woke up.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The perfect offseason would be KD and Whiteside to the Lakers.

And we'd be contenders again.

And then I woke up.

Yep, I think we'll get something more like several of Deng, Noah, Mahinmi, Anderson, Solomon Hill, and Bazemore. Miss out on the max guys, load up on second and third tier guys for depth and vet presence.

PG: Russell, Clarkson, Huertas
SG: Williams, Bazemore, #32 pick
SF: Deng, Ingram/Simmons, Brown
PF: Randle, Anderson, Nance
C: Noah, Mahinmi, Black

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I think we'll get something more like several of Deng, Noah, Mahinmi, Anderson, Solomon Hill, and Bazemore. Miss out on the max guys, load up on second and third tier guys for depth and vet presence.

Oh, I agree. Just saying it'd be ideal and we'd be back. Don't think it's likely.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that kind of squad would win 35-37 games, maybe 38.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer Joe Johnson over Deng. But, either one would provide the veteran presence we need.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lou Williams guy you're penciing in at SG? He'd be better off as the backup PG. Kind of small to start at SG.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think.....

G-Lou Williams/Joe Johnson (maybe?)/Huertas
G-Russell/Clarkson/Young (if we don't get rid of him)
F-Durant/Ingram/Brown
F-Randle/Nance/#32 pick
C-Whiteside/Black

That'd be a damn good team.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree that the most likely scenario is that they will add 2nd tier/role player types during this FA and make a bigger splash in FA after next season. I just hope they add those players while preserving cap space so that they can actually have the money to make that splash.

Reactions: DJ

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJ, Gasol has an opt-out clause in his contract for next year and he has already exercised it.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that kind of squad would win 35-37 games, maybe 38.

...and improve each year as the kids grow into their upside. Expecting last year's team to suddenly jump any further without landing 3 top max guys is wishful thinking. Even then, they can't jump too much further.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the most likely scenario is that they will add 2nd tier/role player types during this FA and make a bigger splash in FA after next season. I just hope they add those players while preserving cap space so that they can actually have the money to make that splash.

Of course. None of the guys I mentioned should be all that expensive relative to the top guys (maybe Anderson would be a bit). Everyone is going to get more that we are used to because of the cap hike, but some of these guys have plateaued or are on the decline (Deng, Noah) and others were very cheap this past year (Mahinmi, Hill, Bazemore).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lou Williams guy you're penciing in at SG? He'd be better off as the backup PG. Kind of small to start at SG.

Who actually starts out of that guard rotation would remain to be seen. Bazemore, Williams, or Clarkson could start at the 2.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they do take Ingram at number two, the Lakers have another ten players to consider in the second round. One of the more intriguing is Thon Maker who is listed on the post article list and has been in to Lakerland for an interview and a look-see. Wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a second round pick for the Lakers

10 Players The Los Angeles Lakers Should Consider With The 32nd Pick - Lakers Nation

I hope they go for a big with that 32nd pick. Maker is an intriguing option. So are Zhoun Qi and AJ Hammons. I'd grab one of those if still available. I think Maker and Qi will be gone though.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks as though Philadelphia and Phoenix may have made a trade that may or may not affect the Lakers selection at two. Phoenix is definitely making some major moves to get better.

2016 NBA Draft Scenario: Sixers trade away Ben Simmons' rights to Suns, Pelicans move down

Even if by some miracle the Suns do get that pick, they'd probably still get Simmons. I've been on the Ingram bandwagon since they got the #2 all along.

But history suggests the suns aren't exactly great when it comes to trading picks :D

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if by some miracle the Suns do get that pick, they'd probably still get Simmons. I've been on the Ingram bandwagon since they got the #2 all along.

But history suggests the suns aren't exactly great when it comes to trading picks :D

The Lakers are having dinner with Ingram Wednesday night and then working him out Thursday. Let him order anything he wants. He needs to pack on some pounds.

I like Ingram a lot. There have been comparisons to KD. I see some Pippen in him. The height. The length. The athleticism. He can attack the rim. He could be an elite defender. He looks better from the perimeter than Pippen. I'm not sure that he has the court vision of Pippen, but he can pass in pick-and-rolls from the clips I've seen. Pippen had a well rounded game. I can see Ingram being the same.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ingram is more of what the Lakers need than Simmons.

Simmons will be a great PF while he works on his shooting, but the Lakers already have Randle.

Ingram is a good outside shooter and defender. he provides what the Lakers are missing the most. I hope the Lakers aren't so in love with Simmons that they trade the pick if Simmons goes #1. I too want them to take Ingram and just let this young team grow if they strike out on big FA's.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ingram is more of what the Lakers need than Simmons.

Simmons will be a great PF while he works on his shooting, but the Lakers already have Randle.

Ingram is a good outside shooter and defender. he provides what the Lakers are missing the most. I hope the Lakers aren't so in love with Simmons that they trade the pick if Simmons goes #1. I too want them to take Ingram and just let this young team grow if they strike out on big FA's.

I don't think they can go wrong with either one. If the Lakers end up with Simmons, he'll play SF ala Lebron/Durant.

I do agree though, that Ingram's skill set fits better with 2 of the Lakers most immediate needs...defense and perimeter shooting.