• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Off-Season Thread

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Luke will hire Magic as an assistant sort of like what B. Scott had with maddog Madsen!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, Magic has stated that the Lakers really ought to pursue Rozan and reunite him with Lou Williams.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, in some sort of weird way, I'm kind of hoping that we get the 3 pick. Like, I could totally see the Lakers being short-sighted and trying to trade the pick, no matter where it lands...so if that's the case, I don't want to be known as the team that passed on Simmons, or even Ingram. As for free agency, I'm not sure how much we are in play for these guys. I don't think we get Durant(unless we make some moves), I'm not entirely sure that Whiteside leaves a team that possibly makes it to the ECF, and personally, I'm not interested in paying max dollars to Derozan. I'm not entirely sure one way or the other on Horford. He's talented, but should we be giving him a max contract?

So basically what I am getting at is this....and this won't be popular, but getting this draft pick(keeping it or trading it), and going after a couple of key role players wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for next year. It all depends on how you look at it I guess. If you think that if we don't hit a home run in FA, it's a failure, then I get that thought process. However for me, if we land this draft pick, and do something useful with it(getting a trade/landing Simmons or Ingram), and roll that team out to develop with Luke Walton, I won't really be too upset, especially if we're able to get a couple of good role players. Then, we can all do this again in 2017. Above all, I think the only 2 things that would tick me off is if we miss out on the draft pick, or if we hand out a max contract to a not so max player

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, in some sort of weird way, I'm kind of hoping that we get the 3 pick. Like, I could totally see the Lakers being short-sighted and trying to trade the pick, no matter where it lands...so if that's the case, I don't want to be known as the team that passed on Simmons, or even Ingram. As for free agency, I'm not sure how much we are in play for these guys. I don't think we get Durant(unless we make some moves), I'm not entirely sure that Whiteside leaves a team that possibly makes it to the ECF, and personally, I'm not interested in paying max dollars to Derozan. I'm not entirely sure one way or the other on Horford. He's talented, but should we be giving him a max contract?

So basically what I am getting at is this....and this won't be popular, but getting this draft pick(keeping it or trading it), and going after a couple of key role players wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for next year. It all depends on how you look at it I guess. If you think that if we don't hit a home run in FA, it's a failure, then I get that thought process. However for me, if we land this draft pick, and do something useful with it(getting a trade/landing Simmons or Ingram), and roll that team out to develop with Luke Walton, I won't really be too upset, especially if we're able to get a couple of good role players. Then, we can all do this again in 2017. Above all, I think the only 2 things that would tick me off is if we miss out on the draft pick, or if we hand out a max contract to a not so max player

Agree with a lot of this. It was also mentioned (on the main page, I believe) that it may be one more season before top FA's are willing to come to the Lakers. They may want to see how our young core develops for one more season.

I think having Luke as coach will hold some sway with FA's, but even then, he's still pretty unproven. So they may want to see how he handles being a full-time HC.

Bringing in a couple good role players who can be part of the future wouldn't be a bad way to go as long as they don't overpay to get them. They are going to have a boatload of cap space, but they need to spend wisely, not spend just because they have the money.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have this suspicion that Luke is going to develop Sacre even more as I believe Luke was still a player when Sacre was first with the Lakers. I think Luke is really going to get the most out of all his players just like Kerr does in GS.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know how you guys feel about Stephen A, but I'm watching FT, and Stephen A just said something to the effect of, Demar Derozan wants to be in La, he has family in LA, and if there's anyway that they could make that happen, he'll be a Laker. Now who knows if that actually happens, but that is a near doomsday scneario in my opinion. We miss out on KD, we miss out on Whiteside, and then feeling the public pressure, we cave into signing Derozan. I've watched Derozan, and he can get buckets, but that's about it. I mean, he's flashy, but he's not a max player imo

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know how you guys feel about Stephen A, but I'm watching FT, and Stephen A just said something to the effect of, Demar Derozan wants to be in La, he has family in LA, and if there's anyway that they could make that happen, he'll be a Laker. Now who knows if that actually happens, but that is a near doomsday scneario in my opinion. We miss out on KD, we miss out on Whiteside, and then feeling the public pressure, we cave into signing Derozan. I've watched Derozan, and he can get buckets, but that's about it. I mean, he's flashy, but he's not a max player imo

Yeah, Demar grow up in Compton and went to college at USC. He's definitely an LA guy. I agree about not maxing him. He's a good player, but not the most efficient.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It will be disappointing to miss out on KD. I think he signs a 2 year deal with a 2nd year opt out with OKC. That's not necessarily a bad thing for the Lakers depending on what else happens this summer. I agree it wouldn't be a bad thing if they keep the pick and sign some key role players as long as they keep cap flexibility for 2017. The coach and players get to grow for a year and hopefully show more promise to the elite FAs.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you listen to Shaq (the ex-Lakers center), the Lakers won't be missing much in the Durant sweepstakes come this summer.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq guaranteed that Durant would be a Laker by the end of the summer!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sorry you had to experience that. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe he can play small forward and that's a position of need (assuming no KD). I wouldn't mind a near max for him, because I think he can be a good #2 or #3 option on a contending team. But I wouldn't want to max him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've heard, Steve Nash is the only name that has been linked to Luke as a possible assistant coach. Apparently they have become pretty close while at Golden State.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've heard, Steve Nash is the only name that has been linked to Luke as a possible assistant coach. Apparently they have become pretty close while at Golden State.

Personally, I say Nash can go fuck himself. He refused to lift a finger on the coaching end while he sat around and collected his paycheck now he wants to be one of our coaches?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I say Nash can go fuck himself. He refused to lift a finger on the coaching end while he sat around and collected his paycheck now he wants to be one of our coaches?

Don't know if he wants to be a coach on Luke's staff or not. His was just the only name mentioned as a possibility because he and Luke have apparently gotten pretty close at GSW.

Personally, I couldn't care less about what he did or didn't do when he was under contract. If he can help the team and Luke wants him on staff...that's fine with me.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke would do himself a big favor by interviewing Messina and see if there is a connection there.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke would do himself a big favor by interviewing Messina and see if there is a connection there.

Maybe. I'd think Messina might be happy where he is. Plus, Pop isn't going to coach forever. He might be in line for Pop's job. Certainly wouldn't hurt for Luke to have a conversation with him though.