• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Off-Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There really was never a chance with Thibs. The Lakers weren't going to give him the front office control that he was looking for. It's a shame because he actually wanted to coach the Lakers.

So we are a week into the offseason and Byron is still the coach. How long does a decision like this need to take? This leads me to believe that Byron will get another season at the helm which doesn't bode well for free agency. Any minute chance that the Lakers had to sign KD goes out the window with Byron still employed.

I can't help but expect the worst this offseason, although I'll be hoping for the best. At least Boston is down 0-2. :lol:

To be fair, the Lakers can't talk to Luke until the end of the current series at the earliest. Kerr has given the okay for him to interview, but not during a series. If what I read is correct, that means the earliest anyone can talk to him is in the few days between the end of the current series and the start of the next one.

If they have settled on Luke (which would make sense given the control Thibs wanted) then that may explain why nothing has happened. I'd expect that they'd at least want to sit down with Luke and make sure they can get him before they fire Byron.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK TJF12. This article from Woj paints a different picture of indecision and some chaos in the FO of the Lakers Thibs wanted to coach the Lakers as his first choice. I think Dr. Buss would have pulled the trigger much faster after some negotiations with the Logo and himself. See for yourself.

Here's how the Lakers reportedly missed out on Tom Thibodeau

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More media hype as far as i'm concerned. Every season each top FA is meant to have wanted to go to the Lakers and every time they blame somebody for them not coming.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More media hype as far as i'm concerned. Every season each top FA is meant to have wanted to go to the Lakers and every time they blame somebody for them not coming.

That's why I don't bother paying much attention to all of that crap. Although, with it coming from Woj, it has more credibility than from anyone else.

Having said that, there was no way he's getting the power that he got in Minnesota. The Lakers didn't give that level of power to Phil (even when he came back), so they sure as hell weren't giving it to Thibs.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, the Lakers can't talk to Luke until the end of the current series at the earliest. Kerr has given the okay for him to interview, but not during a series. If what I read is correct, that means the earliest anyone can talk to him is in the few days between the end of the current series and the start of the next one.

If they have settled on Luke (which would make sense given the control Thibs wanted) then that may explain why nothing has happened. I'd expect that they'd at least want to sit down with Luke and make sure they can get him before they fire Byron.

They can't talk to Luke with Byron still employed. Well, they can, but its a really really shitty thing to do. It's the ultimate disrespect. It just boils down to this; they haven't settled on anyone because they are so indecisive about Scott and therefore have no gameplan. That's all it is. There's no reasons we can come up to try to explain what's going on. They are just doing this coaching thing really bad. They are botching this about as badly as you can botch it. Plus, if they have to know beforehand they can get a guy, then this franchise is fucked as far as leadership is concerned. The whole point of "being the Lakers" is they can get anyone they want. They shouldn't need to know beforehand, they can just enter the room, pick out the prettiest girl, and walk out.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I read the Pincus article, in which he suggested that the Lakers should take their young talent(and draft pick), and chase after Demarcus Cousins, and Jimmy Butler. On one hand that would be a good move, as both guys are young, and locked into long term contracts. Also, having those guys should attract talent. However, on the other hand, possibly giving up Ben Simmons, with most of, or all of the other 3 youngins is a tough call to make. I do however feel that something is gonna go down this summer, because the Lakers that I know are near sighted, and not willing to live off of just draft picks

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I read the Pincus article, in which he suggested that the Lakers should take their young talent(and draft pick), and chase after Demarcus Cousins, and Jimmy Butler. On one hand that would be a good move, as both guys are young, and locked into long term contracts. Also, having those guys should attract talent. However, on the other hand, possibly giving up Ben Simmons, with most of, or all of the other 3 youngins is a tough call to make. I do however feel that something is gonna go down this summer, because the Lakers that I know are near sighted, and not willing to live off of just draft picks

No way would i do that. Too much to give up for head case and butler.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you tomodach. Why develop these guys just to trade them for a head case and a guy who is overpaid.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Kold, that if such a deal can be done, it should be at least considered. However, as tomodach and retro point out, that's an awful lot to give up for Butler and a headcase (even if that headcase is arguably the best center in the league when he's right).

Maybe Cousins just needs a change of scenery? But what if that's not the case and he's just a jerk? Or what if the Lakers aren't the right fit either?

If they were to do something like Pincus suggested, I'd say do the trade for Butler/ Horford, Butler/Drummond or maybe see about a sign and trade with the Heat for Whiteside.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what we should do to get Whiteside. Wait until we see where our draft order falls with the ping pong balls nonsense, and if it is a top three, package the pick, Sacre and Bass (after a sign and trade) to Miami for Whiteside (after a sign and trade).

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what we should do to get Whiteside. Wait until we see where our draft order falls with the ping pong balls nonsense, and if it is a top three, package the pick, Sacre and Bass (after a sign and trade) to Miami for Whiteside (after a sign and trade).

I can see Miami wanting the #3 pick, but I think they'd ask for more than Sacre and Bass. Sacre has virtually no trade value other than maybe to get salaries to match up. To do that trade, they'd likely have to give up at least the #3, Clarkson and maybe Bass or Tariq Black.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest rumour I heard was a trade for Jimmy Butler.

NBA Rumors: Lakers giving away D'Angelo Russell and 2016 draft pick for Jimmy Butler - Sports Rageous - Best sports news on the web

LA Lakers Rumors: Team To Trade Draft Pick To Chicago Bulls For Jimmy Butler

One is for the draft pick and Clarkson, the other for the draft pick and Russell.

What do you guys think?

Depends on the draft pick. If it's the #3 and Clarkson, I'm fine with it. If it's the #1 or #2, then keep the pick and forget the trade.

The only thing that would change that for me, as far as the pick, is if they also "know" they can get Durant in FA. If that's the case, then give them the draft pick and their choice of Clarkson or Russell.

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on the draft pick. If it's the #3 and Clarkson, I'm fine with it. If it's the #1 or #2, them keep the pick and forget the trade.

The only thing that would change that for me, as far as the pick, is if they also "know" they can Durant in FA. If that's the case, then give them the draft pick and their choice of Clarkson or Russell.

I agree. #3 and Clarkson or Russell is almost a good deal.

My best case scenario:

Sign Ollie as new head coach, then sign Durant and Whiteside in free agency. Then trade pick and Clarkson/Russell for Butler. Starting lineup would be -

C - Whiteside
PF - Randle
SF - Durant
SG - Butler
PG - Clarkson or Russell

That could be a deep playoff team!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. #3 and Clarkson or Russell is almost a good deal.

My best case scenario:

Sign Ollie as new head coach, then sign Durant and Whiteside in free agency. Then trade pick and Clarkson/Russell for Butler. Starting lineup would be -

C - Whiteside
PF - Randle
SF - Durant
SG - Butler
PG - Clarkson or Russell

That could be a deep playoff team!

It would be a minor miracle if they pulled that off, but crazier things have happened. Rumor is that Ollie could be a bigger lure for KD than Brooks. Also, apparently Butler was all set to sign a 1 year deal with the Lakers, but CBA rules didn't allow it. So, I don't think he'd be opposed to being traded to the Lakers.

Also, if they trade for Butler and sign KD, I don't think they'd have the cap space to get Whiteside (which is fine if they get both KD and Butler). Remember, they'd be taking on Butlers salary and he'll be entering the 2nd year of a 5 year $95 million dollar deal.

They are expected to have around $60 million in cap space. So, they'd have about $20 million committed to Butler, then about another $25 million for KD, leaving them about $15 million for other players. With KD, Butler, Randle and Clarkson or Russell, they could just hang on to Hibbert (at a reduced salary) and use the rest of the cap space to upgrade the bench.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOVE this:

THIS is what Magic needs to be doing if he wants to help the Lakers. Outside of that...he should stfu instead of sending out brilliant tweets like "the Lakers should contact Lebron's agent just in case he decides to leave".