• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Off-Season Thread

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd think Stephen A ought to permanently shut that pie-hole of his after he emphatically stated during he NBA Finals that there was no way that Cleveland would win the title. He is a total blabber mouth with little reasoning and he just keeps inserting his foot in that piehole. LOL! What a goober!

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd think Stephen A ought to permanently shut that pie-hole of his after he emphatically stated during he NBA Finals that there was no way that Cleveland would win the title. He is a total blabber mouth with little reasoning and he just keeps inserting his foot in that piehole. LOL! What a goober!
He sure is a tool.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is he even considered an "expert"? I've got more predictions right than him!!!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is he even considered an "expert"?
He's not, is he?

Like he says in this take here, he's got a loud mouth.

He makes his living off of stirring the pot, and apparently according to him, he's broke a few big stories like LBJ to Miami...

However, I'm not sure how this effects the Lakers getting a sit down or not as @Kold suggests.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/artic...ron_james_kevin_durant_others/s1_127_21204187

The Los Angeles Lakers have been in shambles since the legendary Jerry Buss passed away, and his son Jim is to blame for a lot of that. If Jim Buss stopped being so delusional, the Lakers might have an easier time of moving forward.

A lengthy feature from Kevin Ding of Bleacher Report provides an in-depth look at some of the recent failures of the once-dominant Lakers. According to Ding, Buss has been walking around for the past three years talking about how L.A. is going to sign all of the biggest names on the free agent market. We’re talking LeBron James, Kevin Durant and others.

Here’s more:

Within three years, the Lakers would be “in contention for a championship,” he promised his siblings.

Some believe Jim was so blatantly confident because he figured LeBron James was coming to the Lakers as a free agent that summer.

Indeed, his father had shot for the stars often and hit. So why wouldn’t it happen again?

So Jim told people that Carmelo Anthony was coming the next summer. He told people that Howard was staying the previous year.

He told people as soon as the Lakers’ recent season was winding down that Kevin Durant was coming this summer…with Russell Westbrook the next.

Buss was also supposedly confident that the Lakers would keep Dwight Howard, and we all know how that turned out. The team has gotten progressively worse over the past three seasons, winning a franchise-worst 17 games this past year.

Jeannie Buss, Jim’s sister, said last summer that Jim is planning to step down from his current position if the Lakers do not make a deep run into the playoffs over the next two seasons. One of those seasons is in the books, and it was horrendous. That is likely what prompted Jeannie to make these threats several months back.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I can’t imagine Durant wouldn’t talk to us,” the source said. “That would shock me.”

The Lakers believe they have a pitch that will appeal to Durant and other free agents, said the source with knowledge of the team’s thinking. With the ability to clear more than $60 million in cap space, they will attempt to sell stars on the potential of joining the Lakers with another top-tier free agent, the source said.

“We want to pitch guys on combinations, as opposed to just one guy,” the source said. “We’ll say to a guy, ‘Who do you want to play with? We’ve got the room to go get him.'”

not liking the looks of things from the beginning. first thought is those have to be jim buss comments. someone kick him out of the free agent meetings

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I can’t imagine Durant wouldn’t talk to us,” the source said. “That would shock me.”

The Lakers believe they have a pitch that will appeal to Durant and other free agents, said the source with knowledge of the team’s thinking. With the ability to clear more than $60 million in cap space, they will attempt to sell stars on the potential of joining the Lakers with another top-tier free agent, the source said.

“We want to pitch guys on combinations, as opposed to just one guy,” the source said. “We’ll say to a guy, ‘Who do you want to play with? We’ve got the room to go get him.'”

not liking the looks of things from the beginning. first thought is those have to be jim buss comments. someone kick him out of the free agent meetings
I agree. If they strike out in Free agency again, it will be a disaster and next season may be just as bad as the last three.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers last chance to make it work with FA was the Nash/Howard signings...Kobe did enough damage to discourage any other big names going to the LAL...At the end, big names respected Kobe but didn't want to play with him.

Now that the Kobe era is over, and the Lakers have sank to levels not seen maybe ever, they're going to have to rebuild thru the draft and mid-level FAs. Time to rally around the young core and grin and bear it for a few more years imo.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers last chance to make it work with FA was the Nash/Howard signings...Kobe did enough damage to discourage any other big names going to the LAL...At the end, big names respected Kobe but didn't want to play with him.

Now that the Kobe era is over, and the Lakers have sank to levels not seen maybe ever, they're going to have to rebuild thru the draft and mid-level FAs. Time to rally around the young core and grin and bear it for a few more years imo.

There is plenty of draw to the Lakers right now, it just doesn't include immediate championship aspirations as it has in the past. They are still a proven brand, with a quality front office (ignoring ownership, lol) and a roster with a considerable amount of impressive young talent. While the push is for the big names, in reality those big names (like Durant) will only block the development of the younger players. Lakers need veteran leadership, but in a form that can move from starter to depth as needed (or on shorter term contracts). The Lakers DO need help at the center position (including depth), which is why they are pursuing guys like Whiteside and Horford. A veteran SF and a stretch 4 would also be solid additions (Parsons and Anderson?).

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Ding article is concerning. It amazes me that someone within the organization is actively undermining Jim Buss. It has to be someone on Jeanie's side. Horrible timing with free agency about to get underway.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, fat chance they strike big this summer. I've embraced the youth movement (players and coach). They still need to prove themselves more in this league. Maybe next summer they'll look better to the top free agents. It just doesn't make much sense for them to come this summer if they want to be on contending teams.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is plenty of draw to the Lakers right now, it just doesn't include immediate championship aspirations as it has in the past. They are still a proven brand, with a quality front office (ignoring ownership, lol) and a roster with a considerable amount of impressive young talent. While the push is for the big names, in reality those big names (like Durant) will only block the development of the younger players. Lakers need veteran leadership, but in a form that can move from starter to depth as needed (or on shorter term contracts). The Lakers DO need help at the center position (including depth), which is why they are pursuing guys like Whiteside and Horford. A veteran SF and a stretch 4 would also be solid additions (Parsons and Anderson?).

As I read your post, I think we're saying the same thing really, but I do have to push back on "plenty"...the brand and legacy are unquestioned...still one of the strongest in the game, but so is Boston's...Durant, LJ...imo don't make sense for the player because as you said...they don't offer immediate champion aspirations.

As bad as it's been, the glass imo is half-full in Lakerland. Again, imo, the worst thing in the NBA is a 35-40 win team...you're not bad enough to get the top draft talent and not good enough to attract the top level FAs...I like Whiteside a whole lot more than Horford, who imo is a 4, flexing to 5. Compared to KD and LJ...those guys are really midlevel FAs.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I read your post, I think we're saying the same thing really, but I do have to push back on "plenty"...the brand and legacy are unquestioned...still one of the strongest in the game, but so is Boston's...Durant, LJ...imo don't make sense for the player because as you said...they don't offer immediate champion aspirations.

As bad as it's been, the glass imo is half-full in Lakerland. Again, imo, the worst thing in the NBA is a 35-40 win team...you're not bad enough to get the top draft talent and not good enough to attract the top level FAs...I like Whiteside a whole lot more than Horford, who imo is a 4, flexing to 5. Compared to KD and LJ...those guys are really midlevel FAs.

Boston has the bad taste of racism (not the team, but the city) that taints their ability to sign free agents. Just ask Ray Allen. When has Boston ever drawn a top free agent?

Being stuck at 35-40 wins next year (if they get there) doesn't hurt them as they won't own their own 1st rounder (only top 3 protected). Lakers aren't likely to hit bottom THAT hard again, so next season is a freebie in terms of draft impact.

Horford may be a 4 flexing to a 5, but that is becoming the norm in the new small ball NBA. KD and LJ aren't going anywhere IMO.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston has the bad taste of racism (not the team, but the city) that taints their ability to sign free agents. Just ask Ray Allen. When has Boston ever drawn a top free agent?

Being stuck at 35-40 wins next year (if they get there) doesn't hurt them as they won't own their own 1st rounder (only top 3 protected). Lakers aren't likely to hit bottom THAT hard again, so next season is a freebie in terms of draft impact.

Horford may be a 4 flexing to a 5, but that is becoming the norm in the new small ball NBA. KD and LJ aren't going anywhere IMO.

BOS...that has been out there since Russell's days, but they still were able to attract good black players...no doubt it could be a factor, but it hasn't really effected the Pats/Red Sox...didn't they land the top CB Revis?...Probably KG was the last big FA....I think the Celtics have just been mediocre to bad since Doc and his crew left. Now that they are decent, we'll see how it goes...a few names linked to them.

35 wins would be great for the Lakers next season, but you don't want to get stuck there.

Horford imo is a pretty decent 4, but a relatively weak 5, but you're right...small ball is the new wave.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, fat chance they strike big this summer. I've embraced the youth movement (players and coach). They still need to prove themselves more in this league. Maybe next summer they'll look better to the top free agents. It just doesn't make much sense for them to come this summer if they want to be on contending teams.

Agree. Next summer is when they want to put their best foot forward anyway because it's a much deeper FA class.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
35 wins would be great for the Lakers next season, but you don't want to get stuck there.

Whether or not they get stuck there will depend on the development of the young guys. They project to eventually becoming a 50+ win team, but projections are based on potential. How far potential goes is determined by how hard a player is willing to work.

So far, the Lakers young guys seem like they are willing to put in the work, but they have to maintain it over a few years, which doesn't always happen with young guys.