• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Have Some Nice Young Players

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been a long season for us Laker fans, but I like that these young players are competitive and don't give up.

The Lakers have some nice young players that are learning some valuable lessons as they play major roles with all the injuries the Lakers have had to their vets. It's going to really help them develop and learn how to play the game even better.

My only question is: what do the Lakers do with Black once Randle returns next season? Both players development will be stunted if they share playing time and they both can't be on the court at the same time cause neither can play the center or SF position.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been a long season for us Laker fans, but I like that these young players are competitive and don't give up.

The Lakers have some nice young players that are learning some valuable lessons as they play major roles with all the injuries the Lakers have had to their vets. It's going to really help them develop and learn how to play the game even better.

My only question is: what do the Lakers do with Black once Randle returns next season? Both players development will be stunted if they share playing time and they both can't be on the court at the same time cause neither can play the center or SF position.

i thought i did hear some consideration as far as Randle playing the 3. i might be wrong, though...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll keep both and move probably someone else or especially if Ed Davis doesn't come back. Kelly maybe on the hotseat because his year has been horrific.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Black would be valuable to keep because he can back up both the 4 and 5. If I'm the Lakers, I'm looking to keep both Black and Davis even if the Lakers land a big with the top 5 pick or go after one in FA. There are always teams looking to add a quality big, so if the Lakers ended up with logjam at the 4 and 5 spots, they could trade one of them for draft picks and/or a player for a different position of need.

I agree with Retro re: Kelly. As much as I like the kid, he just doesn't seem to be developing into the "stretch 4" that the Lakers were hoping for.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers could have as many as 4 picks in the upcoming draft. I wouldn't mind seeing them go after Kevon Looney from UCLA or Cauley-Stein from Kentucky with one of their non-top 5 picks.

Cauley-Stein probably won't be available, but Looney might be.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Retro re: Kelly. As much as I like the kid, he just doesn't seem to be developing into the "stretch 4" that the Lakers were hoping for.

He's not developing into that stretch 4 because Scott insists on playing him at the 3. He's not a 3. I think his game has regressed as a result.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black can play the 5. He's a bit short there, but counters it with his strength and athleticism. He needs to develop a mid-range jumper. Davis as well. Both are limited offensively. Defenders don't need to give them any respect when they are getting the ball at the elbows extended. Hill worked on developing that shot. Davis and Black need to as well.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do have some nice young players. A nice core is building. If they hit on a couple of their draft picks this summer and sign a younger FA such as a Monroe or Harris, then they are heading in good direction.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,806.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black is a backup, Randle is a starter.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,806.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like the Lakers to trade Young if they can get another draft pick (mid to late 1st rounder) for him.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randle has the skills to play SF spot. He just needs to develop on his outside game. His young so I'm not worried about that, his going to be a force.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randle has the skills to play SF spot. He just needs to develop on his outside game. His young so I'm not worried about that, his going to be a force.

That would be a big lineup with Randle at the 3. Not sure he could defend well at that position though.

He seems to be working a lot on that jumper. He'll get there. Gonna be dangerous when he does. He'll blow by you if you have to worry too much about his jumper.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not developing into that stretch 4 because Scott insists on playing him at the 3. He's not a 3. I think his game has regressed as a result.

Yeah, problem is, between Davis, Black and Boozer, there really isn't much playing time for him at the 4, plus they have Randle coming back next season. He'll need to figure out how to play the 3 or he'll get cut loose. He's the odd man out at the 4.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is most likely that he gets traded or cut loose. He just doesn't have they athleticism to play the 3 on either side of the ball.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,806.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking if we somehow luck into the top pick........we take Okfaor. And with Randle and Okafor (solid power combo to build on) we can decline Hill's option and go after a legit SF. Start Clarkson next to Kobe? That's a decent starting 5 and a promising future.

Use the salary cap cash to fill out a bench and we might be a .500 team (or a little better) next season.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no reason not to keep Black. Just dump Sacre, who is barely an NBA player anyway. They play the same role, but Black is already just as good if not better. He's dirt cheap and you control him for one more year. If they like what they see, they can offer an extension that's still dirt cheap.

I wouldn't worry about playing time for anyone. The Lakers have 2 players worth a darn on the roster as far future building goes, Clarkson and Randle.* The rest are all replaceable or are named Kobe Bryant, who at this point shouldn't really be factored into anything until he can prove he can stay on the court. So with that in mind, you just go after the best talent you can get, regardless of position. That's not to say you just throw top dollar at whatever FA is available (like foolishly offering Rondo or Reggie Jackson the max). But you should still offer someone like Greg Monroe even if you drafted Karl Towns because talent usually trumps all and even if it doesn't, there's no rule saying you can't trade them later on if the fit ain't quite right.

*Davis is a decent defensive player but is limited offensively (like can't shoot unless he's at the rim). He'll test free agency and I'd gladly let him walk if some team throws 10 mil per year at him. It's not worth locking long term money into role players when you're rebuilding.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no reason not to keep Black. Just dump Sacre, who is barely an NBA player anyway. They play the same role, but Black is already just as good if not better. He's dirt cheap and you control him for one more year. If they like what they see, they can offer an extension that's still dirt cheap.

I wouldn't worry about playing time for anyone. The Lakers have 2 players worth a darn on the roster as far future building goes, Clarkson and Randle.* The rest are all replaceable or are named Kobe Bryant, who at this point shouldn't really be factored into anything until he can prove he can stay on the court. So with that in mind, you just go after the best talent you can get, regardless of position. That's not to say you just throw top dollar at whatever FA is available (like foolishly offering Rondo or Reggie Jackson the max). But you should still offer someone like Greg Monroe even if you drafted Karl Towns because talent usually trumps all and even if it doesn't, there's no rule saying you can't trade them later on if the fit ain't quite right.

*Davis is a decent defensive player but is limited offensively (like can't shoot unless he's at the rim). He'll test free agency and I'd gladly let him walk if some team throws 10 mil per year at him. It's not worth locking long term money into role players when you're rebuilding.

I agree. Just get the best talent you can, even if it's redundant. That talent can be traded later for talent to fill other spots. Sort of like the Suns did with all of those pg's. Although, I'd hope the Lakers would learn from that and not wait until one of the players complained publicly to make a trade.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I am with this current vein. Young talent with those four picks this year especially if we luck into the top spot and take Okafor. Man that is a frontcourt foundation that could last a decade barring a major injury.