• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyler Murray

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A's offered him a total of 19.6 mil guaranteed over 2 offers, without endorsements, etc added on.
That's nice for two years, and I assume that would've ensured him a spot on the A's roster, but $35 mil over 4yrs as the no questioned starter at QB seems like a better option to me.

Obviously he'd have to perform to get another contract in either sport, but again...idk that much him as a MLB prospect.

Is he the next Ronald Acuna?

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could go back to baseball if he washed out.....He made the right decision

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hes an all time great that has had a very long career that with his playing style, has caused his body to accumulate a massive amount of injuries which have caused him to be a very accurate 89 rating.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hes an all time great that has had a very long career that with his playing style, has caused his body to accumulate a massive amount of injuries which have caused him to be a very accurate 89 rating.
source.gif

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$19.2m < $35M

Baseball bonuses aren't paid out all in one lump sum. They are paid out over a few years. You are also not getting big time money endorsements while toiling in the minors. At best he was looking at making maybe another $100k in total, in baseball salary, over the next three years till he made a an mlb roster. And then unless he was a superstar, it could be 3+ years, depending on service time, at the mlb minimum wage of a little north of $600k a year.

Like I previously said, it would be likely 6+ seasons before he realized that big MLB guaranteed money. The value just isn't the same between the two sports early in those careers.

Even just making a NFL practice squad pays more in one season that does several seasons of MiLB.

Unless you are a superstar, you won't make the same money in baseball as you would just being an average QB in the NFL.

IDK how baseball salaries for rookies works but doesn't seem plausible Murray would have received that kind of money as a rookie. Oakland is notoriously frugal.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are a ton of assumptions in there. 1, he plays in the NFL for 6 years. 2, he develops beyond this year (never a give in). 3, that he wouldnt have developed in baseball.
all AZ has to do is cut him and theyre off the hook for future money. MLB? not so much. he could be a chris davis, 1-3 great years, a huge albatross contract, and paid to suck. cutting him has consequences.

this is partly IMO why the NFL needs a cap.

that being said, guys have advanced rapidly before thru the minors, come up, gotten paid, and floundered, while still being paid.

i look at the chris davis thing again. if davis played football, he would have been cut years ago.
Most of what you are saying are assumptions as well. One thing that is not an assumption is that is heart is in football. He has said that several times. Not to mention #1 pick, Incredible rookie year, super endorsements rolling in, etc. Even if he flames out, he can always go back to baseball.

He made the right choice on many levels.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If pitching in the Big 12 is anything like their defenses in football they might not be that great.
He seemed to do alright agains most all of the elite defenses he played. This kid has all the tools to be special.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seemed to do alright agains most all of the elite defenses he played. This kid has all the tools to be special.
I was impressed by him last year. I hope he keeps getting better.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of what you are saying are assumptions as well. One thing that is not an assumption is that is heart is in football. He has said that several times. Not to mention #1 pick, Incredible rookie year, super endorsements rolling in, etc. Even if he flames out, he can always go back to baseball.

He made the right choice on many levels.
"incredible rookie year?"

i mean, he had some nice games...

20 TD/12 picks
87 rating

marcus mariotas rookie year

19 TD/10 picks

91 rating

2nd overall

it can go bad

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$19.2m < $35M

Baseball bonuses aren't paid out all in one lump sum. They are paid out over a few years. You are also not getting big time money endorsements while toiling in the minors. At best he was looking at making maybe another $100k in total, in baseball salary, over the next three years till he made a an mlb roster. And then unless he was a superstar, it could be 3+ years, depending on service time, at the mlb minimum wage of a little north of $600k a year.

Like I previously said, it would be likely 6+ seasons before he realized that big MLB guaranteed money. The value just isn't the same between the two sports early in those careers.

Even just making a NFL practice squad pays more in one season that does several seasons of MiLB.

Unless you are a superstar, you won't make the same money in baseball as you would just being an average QB in the NFL.

The trend is changing in baseball though. If you are a first round NFL pick, then yes choose the NFL. But MLB GM’s are become smarter and realizing it is better to pay your guys when they are younger than waiting out until arbitration.

But all of that is kind nullified since he was drafted by the cheapest franchise is sports history.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Madden ratings this year are hilariously bad. They still have JJ Watt as one of the top defensive linemen. It's like EA does this on purpose to create publicity or something.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"incredible rookie year?"

i mean, he had some nice games...

20 TD/12 picks
87 rating

marcus mariotas rookie year

19 TD/10 picks

91 rating

2nd overall

it can go bad
Yes

And this is not helping your argument for playing baseball instead.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve said all along I believe in that offense. Just take a minute to establish in the nfl. Watch out.
The crazy thing is how much their running game improved. It reminds me of the old "run and shoot" that the Oilers used to run.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The crazy thing is how much their running game improved. It reminds me of the old "run and shoot" that the Oilers used to run.
This offense has INSANE POTENTIAL. Like the ravens. They went all in. They completely adapted the scheme and personnel for kingsbury. They’ve invested massively. We saw glimpses....

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This offense has INSANE POTENTIAL. Like the ravens. They went all in. They completely adapted the scheme and personnel for kingsbury. They’ve invested massively. We saw glimpses....

We will see if this true. The offense went from historically bad in 18 to middle of the road to middle of the pack in 19. The reasons that it was only middle of the road, was due to the calling by the rookie HC, having a rookie QB, & the lack of playmakers. Much of that was solved going into year two so there should be a lot of improvement.

At the least, the offense should be a top 10 offense.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its not style of play but not reading the defense too well. The games I have watched he stays in the pocket too long and either gets sacked or tries scrambling away, he should just throw it away

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see if this true. The offense went from historically bad in 18 to middle of the road to middle of the pack in 19. The reasons that it was only middle of the road, was due to the calling by the rookie HC, having a rookie QB, & the lack of playmakers. Much of that was solved going into year two so there should be a lot of improvement.

At the least, the offense should be a top 10 offense.
agree, by year 3 should be humming crazy nice