• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kinsler for Fielder?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IK is better on the best paths but hitting wise Omar Infante has had a very under rated career. He is a lifetime .279 hitter with a little pop. And does not have a history of injuries. minus the ankle Rasmus fucked up with a dirty slide.

Don't get me wrong I like IK and him being able to be a leadoff hitter only increases his value to Detroit. But if his ribs and side are an issue with his price tag, Infante could be the better player. Detroit needs salary space in the worst way with Scherzer and Miggy coming up in the next few years.

Perhaps you are right, but one thing you didn't mention is defense. In my opinion, Kinsler is very good defensively. Not really sure about Infante. Also, unless Jackson is in a slump, I think that he is probably a better candidate to lead off. Kinsler hasn't been too good stealing bases the past couple of years.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love this move for you guys, Really wanted the Mets to try and sway Andrus from you, but that wont be happening now. Fielder is going to have a field day(no pun intended) at the Ballpark in Arlington.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps you are right, but one thing you didn't mention is defense. In my opinion, Kinsler is very good defensively. Not really sure about Infante. Also, unless Jackson is in a slump, I think that he is probably a better candidate to lead off. Kinsler hasn't been too good stealing bases the past couple of years.

If Kinsler is healthy and gets 450-550 At Bats then I think Detroit will be happy. His price tag is not cheap but I have no idea what Infante is asking and from reports Middle Infielders are asking a lot this off season. Detroit signed Fielder as a FA and basically traded 30 million for Kinsler as Prince did not cost Detroit players from their roster.

I think once Prince deals with his divorce issue, and thats what I think attributed to his down year, he should be solid in Arlington. Just do not expect him to stretch singles to doubles or go first to third on base hits.

When Detroit signed him to that length of contract I was concerned how he would play in the last 2-3 years of the deal. But he did help Cabrera see better pitches in 2012.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Detroit signed him to that length of contract I was concerned how he would
play in the last 2-3 years of the deal. But he did help Cabrera see better pitches in 2012.

In 2011, with Vmart hitting behind him, Cabrera was walked 108 times.

In 2012, with Prince having a great season behind him, Cabrera was walked just 66 times. There is no question Cabrera would never have seen enough pitches to win the Triple Crown without Prince.

In 2013, with Prince having a mediocre year behind him, Cabrera was walked 90 times.

As good a hitter as Vmart is, he's not the power threat that Prince was. Cabrera likely tops 100 walks again in 2014.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His job will probably be to get Beltre better pitches to hit, and drive in runs. He can run as slow as a slug if the ball lands in the right field upper deck. :D

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2011, with Vmart hitting behind him, Cabrera was walked 108 times.

In 2012, with Prince having a great season behind him, Cabrera was walked just 66 times. There is no question Cabrera would never have seen enough pitches to win the Triple Crown without Prince.

In 2013, with Prince having a mediocre year behind him, Cabrera was walked 90 times.

As good a hitter as Vmart is, he's not the power threat that Prince was. Cabrera likely tops 100 walks again in 2014.

Exactly. Detroit fans happy to see him gone are about to see what he did for Cabrera.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Detroit fans happy to see him gone are about to see what he did for Cabrera.

Thats somewhat misleading as in 2013 Miggy had Tori Hunter hitting in front of him and he had a good year. With Kinsler and Hunter in front of him I think he still gets pitches to hit and Detroit stays out of double plays.

Detroit was a horrid team on the base paths the last few years. Detroit needs speed to stay out of the DP. Fielder was a solid guy that had some problems last year.

You don't drive in 100 plus runs a year without having skills, especially with a guy like Cabrera in front of you regularly cleaning the base paths. The guy needed a change of scenery as Tiger fans would ride him for awhile after his playoff performance.

Texas's biggest concern with him may be his mental toughness.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats somewhat misleading as in 2013 Miggy had Tori Hunter hitting in front of him and he had a good year. With Kinsler and Hunter in front of him I think he still gets pitches to hit and Detroit stays out of double plays.

Detroit was a horrid team on the base paths the last few years. Detroit needs speed to stay out of the DP. Fielder was a solid guy that had some problems last year.

You don't drive in 100 plus runs a year without having skills, especially with a guy like Cabrera in front of you regularly cleaning the base paths. The guy needed a change of scenery as Tiger fans would ride him for awhile after his playoff performance.

Texas's biggest concern with him may be his mental toughness.

How do players in front of Cabrera ft him pitches to hit? It's fear of the next player in the lineup that gets the current batter pitches to hit.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a done deal! Awesome freaking deal for Texas. All that has to happen is Fielder waving his no trade clause. What a great deal for Texas

The Rangers got a ALL Star and HR derby champ with one of the biggest contracts ever, they should contend now...Monday, December 11, 2000.....

deja vue.....

Yep, Miguel Cabrera wasn't a great hitter til Fielder came along.

The big thing, Profar and Salinas now have opportunties...which is who will really help Texas.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great deal for the Tigers....Fielder's contract is going to be the worst in MLB in 2015 and beyond...great job by the Tigers GM to realize the mistake in signing Fielder.

Albert Pujols disagrees.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do players in front of Cabrera ft him pitches to hit? It's fear of the next player in the lineup that gets the current batter pitches to hit.

To many times a guy gets on in from of Cabrera and the next guy hits into a DP. If 1st base is open he is a easy walk. If 1st base is occupied it makes it tougher to pitch around him. AJax struck out over 610 times in 4 years! That was the leadoff hitter!

Too often Miggy came up with 2 outs and no one on. Harder to walk him with less than 2 outs and 1-2 guys on, But that is my opinion.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers got a ALL Star and HR derby champ with one of the biggest contracts ever, they should contend now...Monday, December 11, 2000.....

deja vue.....

Yep, Miguel Cabrera wasn't a great hitter til Fielder came along.

The big thing, Profar and Salinas now have opportunties...which is who will really help Texas.

except they actually have a team, including pitching around him now. Also, Texas isn't paying that entire contact.

seanmerc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good trade for Texas

Angel fan here.

I seriously think this was an excellent trade for Texas. My first reaction was, "Oh, NOOOO!!!" Not sure why the Tiggers wanted to trade Fielder. Hard to replace that kind of middle-of-the-order presence. Kinsler always tore the Angels' pitching up [of course, he wasn't the only one who did that].

Good move by the Rangers!

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the move.

In my opinion, Kinsler was just an above average player with decent hitting numbers that couldn't stay healthy for a full season.

The Fielder deal addresses 2 major issues that the Rangers had coming in to the offseason:

1, it solidifies production from the 1B spot, which they desperately needed (assuming he plays first)
2, it solves the Profar riddle. Looks like our infield is set with Beltre, Tiny E, Profar, and Fielder...solid.

Last 2 problem areas to be addressed are catcher and corner OF/DH. Not sure what is going to happen now since the Rangers presumably don't have a ton of cash to doll out for a big name.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the move.

In my opinion, Kinsler was just an above average player with decent hitting numbers that couldn't stay healthy for a full season.

The Fielder deal addresses 2 major issues that the Rangers had coming in to the offseason:

1, it solidifies production from the 1B spot, which they desperately needed (assuming he plays first)
2, it solves the Profar riddle. Looks like our infield is set with Beltre, Tiny E, Profar, and Fielder...solid.

Last 2 problem areas to be addressed are catcher and corner OF/DH. Not sure what is going to happen now since the Rangers presumably don't have a ton of cash to doll out for a big name.

They really didn't affect their payroll that much.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the move.

what leads you to believe that the Rangers don't have the cash? don't believe everything you read

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember people saying we had no money, then we went out and signed yu darvish!