• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kenny Stabler is dead

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

May "The Snake" RIP

Dead at 69 of colon cancer.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am privileged to have grown up in the 70's, perhaps the greatest decade of the NFL. I wasn't a Raiders fan. I wasn't necessarily a Stabler fan. But I grew up watching him and them. Monday Night Football was must see T.V. and those Raiders-Steelers or Raiders-Bengals or Raiders-Dolphins or Raiders-Chiefs games were always special even when neither team were your favorites. It was NFL Football, it was Monday Night and you knew you were going to see something special. Ken Stabler was a part of that...was a part of my growing up. I appreciate what he and his contemporaries did for me and millions like me in that decade.

My fondest memory of Kenny was when I was nine and my brother got a Kenny Stabler puzzle for his birthday. We opened the can, started arranging the puzzle pieces on the kitchen table, and soon realized it was not a Kenny Stabler puzzle at all. Instead, it was a Playboy playmate centerfold - Miss August 1967. Kenny never looked better.

Special thanks to my mom for letting us at least finish the puzzle once before taking it away for good. :D

I hope you find your own Field of Dreams in the grandest Hall of Fame of all Kenny. Thanks, "Snake"...

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish people would learn to take colon cancer seriously. All it takes is to have a colonoscopy starting by age 50 (sooner if you have a family history of colon cancer). I've had 7 colonoscopies and the doctors found the start of cancer twice so far. While the doctor is doing the procedure and spots the cancer polyps, he can remove them immediately.

Please everyone take this seriously and talk to your doctors about doing this. It's very easy and painless procedure.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good player on perhaps the most despicable squads to ever take the field when he played for Oakland.

Always liked his quote about how he liked to prepare for games by studying the game plan by the light of a juke box.

kcvet

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the left handed gun. damned good QB RIP

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am privileged to have grown up in the 70's, perhaps the greatest decade of the NFL. I wasn't a Raiders fan. I wasn't necessarily a Stabler fan. But I grew up watching him and them. Monday Night Football was must see T.V. and those Raiders-Steelers or Raiders-Bengals or Raiders-Dolphins or Raiders-Chiefs games were always special even when neither team were your favorites. It was NFL Football, it was Monday Night and you knew you were going to see something special. Ken Stabler was a part of that...was a part of my growing up. I appreciate what he and his contemporaries did for me and millions like me in that decade.

My fondest memory of Kenny was when I was nine and my brother got a Kenny Stabler puzzle for his birthday. We opened the can, started arranging the puzzle pieces on the kitchen table, and soon realized it was not a Kenny Stabler puzzle at all. Instead, it was a Playboy playmate centerfold - Miss August 1967. Kenny never looked better.

Special thanks to my mom for letting us at least finish the puzzle once before taking it away for good. :D

I hope you find your own Field of Dreams in the grandest Hall of Fame of all Kenny. Thanks, "Snake"...

So true.

Yambag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the left handed gun. damned good QB RIP

I used to watch him throw the down and out pass from the left side and he was amazing. As Hokie Gajun who was his fullback with the Saints would say when they were on the other teams ten yard line and were behind by four points in the last few minutes of the game Stabler would come into the huddle and say "O.K. boys we have them where we want them" and he would march them down the field for a T.D. Ken was the consummate leader and competitor.

Buturla@PG&E

Boom!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a bummer. My favorite NFL player of all time. Kenny turned me into a Raiders fan when I first started watching football. I remember staying in line all night to get tickets to the AFC Championship game against the Steelers in 1977. We were in the end zone and a got the best view in the house on a TD pass that pretty much ended any hope the Steelers had that day. After watching the completion, I looked back and saw Kenny face down on the turf. And then I looked up and saw the replay. Yep, that cheap shot artist Jack Lambert hit him about 3 seconds after he had thrown the ball (I'm sure he thought there was nothing wrong with that). Jackass!

StarsFan

noob extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People always remember that his Raiders lost the "immaculate reception" game in Pittsburgh, but Snake had that game won with a terrific long scramble for a touchdown late in the 4th.

Odd how he went from a brilliant, mobile quarterback to a plodding drop-back passer in a few short years, without any obvious major injuries. The rumor was that he told Al Davis to fuck off one to many times and Al used Snake's drinking as an excuse to let him go to Houston.

StarsFan

noob extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the hell is he not in the HOF?

Stabler is the only quarterback from that period who won a Super Bowl not in the HOF. He had more than twice the number touchdowns as he did interceptions! I also think Kenny was one of the best 2 minute drill QB's out there. He worked magic many times in those 2 minutes.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a bummer. My favorite NFL player of all time. Kenny turned me into a Raiders fan when I first started watching football. I remember staying in line all night to get tickets to the AFC Championship game against the Steelers in 1977. We were in the end zone and a got the best view in the house on a TD pass that pretty much ended any hope the Steelers had that day. After watching the completion, I looked back and saw Kenny face down on the turf. And then I looked up and saw the replay. Yep, that cheap shot artist Jack Lambert hit him about 3 seconds after he had thrown the ball (I'm sure he thought there was nothing wrong with that). Jackass!

A Raiders fan complaining about cheap shots? Really? LOL Those '70s Raiders teams were perhaps the dirtiest teams of all-time.