• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

kelly probably cost them this game.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree but there is a reason why the season is 12 games.....and not 1 game
yes i agree but i dont know if we can play with the big boys on our schedule. i do agree if we run the table we are in. OU lost to texas and went to the playoffs. we can do the same but something needs to change big time with the defense. in OT u know they are running the ball. stop the f run. it shouldnt be that hard.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes i agree but i dont know if we can play with the big boys on our schedule. i do agree if we run the table we are in. OU lost to texas and went to the playoffs. we can do the same but something needs to change big time with the defense. in OT u know they are running the ball. stop the f run. it shouldnt be that hard.

The only big boys on our schedule are Michigan State and Stanford. We can play with them especially in South Bend. Those teams didn't look good either and they were at home.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also dont forget about miami

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i love our offense i think they did a great job. sorry MZ, Kizer is way better.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, Kelly's been a good program builder. He brought them back from the brink and has recruited reasonably well but he is a lousy game day coach and he's too beholden to his old coaching tree. His DC is a liability.
This.

My buddy and I took a ride through ND yesterday before the game and we were both commenting on how far Kelly has built up the program from the shit it was in. Much better recruits come here, but his fucking game management can be horse shit far too often. It's maddening.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem is that after the first game we already have to depend on 'running the table'. starting out behind the eight ball is not the way you want to do things ... and this game was very winnable. if it happened last night, odds are good it'll happen again because we still have bad decisions being made and we still have van gordor.
It's better to lose early than lose late in the season. Let's hope this becomes our only loss. Ugh.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

My buddy and I took a ride through ND yesterday before the game and we were both commenting on how far Kelly has built up the program from the shit it was in. Much better recruits come here, but his fucking game management can be horse shit far too often. It's maddening.
I'm just worried that we're not capitalizing on the recruits we do get. Eventually the lack of on field success will yield worse classes. We sorely need DL and safety recruits and year after year we whiff on them. I can't imagine an elite defensive prospect that would want to play for Van Gorder given his body of work.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just worried that we're not capitalizing on the recruits we do get. Eventually the lack of on field success will yield worse classes. We sorely need DL and safety recruits and year after year we whiff on them. I can't imagine an elite defensive prospect that would want to play for Van Gorder given his body of work.
True. We don't seem to land many top CBs and Safeties. Usually it's DL that are our studs and every now and again a LB. I still to this day don't think Russell was a top notch CB. But that's just me.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we need to start top talent on D. guy like peppers from mich would of been an awesome get. we need play makers like J Smith. not just 1-2 each class. we need more then that. we are starting to whiff on CBs. luke is a nice #1 CB. after the TD he let up he was shut down mode. my big concern is we let texas throw bombs and 1st series in the 2nd half we let up a bomb. VG has no adjustments. u can leave luke on an island. help on the other side.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. We don't seem to land many top CBs and Safeties. Usually it's DL that are our studs and every now and again a LB. I still to this day don't think Russell was a top notch CB. But that's just me.
Well he was a converted RB because of a lack of numbers and played a great freshman year but we had a talented front 7 and a system that didn't tax the corners like the ones we have now. He was never the same player after his suspension and had an injury.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That dumbass 3rd & 12 call with 3:00 left in a 37-37 game on the road in hostile environment was such typical BK coaching, I just wanted to turn it off right then & there. He, once again, plays not to win and coaches 'scared' by calliing ANOTHER QB option read draw right up the middle. How many times had UT already seen that coming by that time? It was sooo predictably Kelly and UT was ready for the 12th time they saw it run at them.

A QB run on 3 & 12, on the road, with plenty of time to just get into a FG situation to win the game. And this shit. :L

He, basically, quit ... to play for OT, when he called that play. Took the wind out of our sails after scoring 21 pts to storm back into the game. The O was on a roll and he decided to end it ... WITH 3 FNG MINS still to play. Why? Only to give the fng ball back to a Texas offense that we couldn't seem to stop. We were lucky we survived it just getting to OT after that total gaffe of a call.

Was THEE game changer in my opinion. You simply cannot call plays "not to lose" in that situation in a big game like that. Especially when you have a premier offense that showed they could move the ball and score points.

:burt:

I'm still soooo disgusted at this I still can't stomach myself to even listen to his post-game presser. Who did he put the blame on, btw? I'm sure he threw somebody under the bus and took none of the blame, huh?

Defense is horrible ... like many of us expected, but this play call. :gaah:

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True....and the look Kelly gave that dude after the last TD said it all. While I think when you run an offense like Kelly's and you've always been an offensive-minded coach your defense will suffer (and have a lower ceiling), you just can't let Texas do that. Wouldn't surprise me though if ND ran the table from here.

Bill Walsh was an offensive minded coach and he had a pretty high ceiling.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True....and the look Kelly gave that dude after the last TD said it all. While I think when you run an offense like Kelly's and you've always been an offensive-minded coach your defense will suffer (and have a lower ceiling), you just can't let Texas do that. Wouldn't surprise me though if ND ran the table from here.

Bill Walsh was an offensive minded coach and he had a pretty high ceiling.

Rust Cohle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Russell came in as a RB, and was actually moved to Corner out of necessity after Lo Wood blew out his knee. Crawford has the ability to be a Charles Woodson type of player. I hope BK finds a way to get him some touches on Offense, especially if THJ is done for the year.

Rust Cohle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That dumbass 3rd & 12 call with 3:00 left in a 37-37 game on the road in hostile environment was such typical BK coaching, I just wanted to turn it off right then & there. He, once again, plays not to win and coaches 'scared' by calliing ANOTHER QB option read draw right up the middle. How many times had UT already seen that coming by that time? It was sooo predictably Kelly and UT was ready for the 12th time they saw it run at them.

A QB run on 3 & 12, on the road, with plenty of time to just get into a FG situation to win the game. And this shit. :L

He, basically, quit ... to play for OT, when he called that play. Took the wind out of our sails after scoring 21 pts to storm back into the game. The O was on a roll and he decided to end it ... WITH 3 FNG MINS still to play. Why? Only to give the fng ball back to a Texas offense that we couldn't seem to stop. We were lucky we survived it just getting to OT after that total gaffe of a call.

Was THEE game changer in my opinion. You simply cannot call plays "not to lose" in that situation in a big game like that. Especially when you have a premier offense that showed they could move the ball and score points.

:burt:

I'm still soooo disgusted at this I still can't stomach myself to even listen to his post-game presser. Who did he put the blame on, btw? I'm sure he threw somebody under the bus and took none of the blame, huh?

Defense is horrible ... like many of us expected, but this play call. :gaah:

I didn't expect the Defense to be great, but nowhere near this bad. I can live with a bad play call, that's part of the human element to coaching. What I can't live with is refusal to correct systemic issues and recurring failures. If I could stomach re-watching the games, I'd bet there's 15-20 snaps on Defense where not everyone was lined up properly. That can't happen.

Rust Cohle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season is far from over. This isn't the old system where only 2 teams make it. With 4 teams making the playoffs, its almost a lock to have at least 2-3 teams with at least 1 or more losses.

We got Stanford, Michigan State, Miami, and USC all left on the schedule. Run the table and we'll be in the conversation at the end of the season

I like your optimism, I really do. And I hope to god you're right. However, after what I saw from the Defense last night, I can't see anything higher than 7 or 8 wins. McCaffery is going to have his way with this Defense and USC still has elite skill position talent. Michigan State and Miami are tossups.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your optimism, I really do. And I hope to god you're right. However, after what I saw from the Defense last night, I can't see anything higher than 7 or 8 wins. McCaffery is going to have his way with this Defense and USC still has elite skill position talent. Michigan State and Miami are tossups.

Stanford look like shit at home vs a bad K-State team. If not for the refs screwing K-State over, they probably lose. There is not one game until USC that scares me.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the absence of a defense means we'll likely drop a game or two we have no business losing.

Interesting stat. Average ppg before UNC 2014, 12. Since, 31. The book's out on how to beat Van Gorder's "scheme". And in the year and a half since, Van Gorder hasn't adjusted. In fact the players say he's installing more.