• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keith Patterson to Arizona State

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering why we did not hear a peep out of him yesterday.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering why we did not hear a peep out of him yesterday.

If its truly internal....I will go with Brian Mitchell...

He ran the Defense at ECU when they were a pretty good unit...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard it is going to be Tony Gibson.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to admit, I am totally bummed out about this.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look we were not that much better last year and by the end of the season we were very predictable on defense, I think our third down defense was giving them up at about a 70% clip after the Texas game.

Did not lose much as a recruiter.

Would not have minded if he stayed but not going to lose sleep that he left...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought about him too - or is he still somewhat toxic.

To my knowledge he was never mentioned as being someone involved in the cover up, if that is indeed the case this is a great DC that knows our recruiting area like the back of his hand that got a raw deal. At the very least let him tell WVU no. Id get him yesterday.

Id give Ron Zook a call too, I like how he recruits FL.

Id like to see us keep our D staff in place as much as possible and get a proven DC, Im not sure Dana can afford another swing and miss on a risky defensive hire.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitchel would be my choice.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To my knowledge he was never mentioned as being someone involved in the cover up, if that is indeed the case this is a great DC that knows our recruiting area like the back of his hand that got a raw deal. At the very least let him tell WVU no. Id get him yesterday.

Id give Ron Zook a call too, I like how he recruits FL.

Id like to see us keep our D staff in place as much as possible and get a proven DC, Im not sure Dana can afford another swing and miss on a risky defensive hire.

From what I have read at BGN, Gibby is going to be the next DC. The reasons given include some of the following. While he has not been a DC at the FBS level, he is familiar with Patterson's defense having worked for him at Pitt and WVU. Dana is under the gun, as he has been notified he has to finish at least 6-6 next year. An in-house promotion limits the disruption caused by having a 4th DC in 4 years. To hire someone outside the staff, could set the defense back... and this might affect W/L record negatively. Gibby worked on the field with Patterson last season and helped make the defensive calls with him as well as signaling in the calls for the safeties.

I don't agree with the logic at all. I would rather hire the best DC's available... build for the future while trying to win today.

I simply cannot believe that Luck would not take a rational look at what has happened on the defensive side of the ball, and apply that to whether Dana should be retained after next season.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't like coach turnover, Patterson did not produce a good d last year and was part of the worst ever d for WVU. Gibbs may deserve a chancel but i would like to get an ed oregeron type in here. We need a big emphasis on D and I wonder if a promotion from within will be best.

If we do hire a new DC, I am sure luck will have his mark on the hire.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense was decimated by injury last year. I find it hard to be critical of their performance, or that of the defensive coaches.

aussierugbyfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The statement that he "voluntary left the program" is what I am not understanding. It sounds like a nice way of saying they let him go vs him wanting to go. That a different mindset right there - seems something else is going on.

Wish we could say make a big splash Dana - go for the big fish!!!!!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I have read at BGN, Gibby is going to be the next DC. The reasons given include some of the following. While he has not been a DC at the FBS level, he is familiar with Patterson's defense having worked for him at Pitt and WVU. Dana is under the gun, as he has been notified he has to finish at least 6-6 next year. An in-house promotion limits the disruption caused by having a 4th DC in 4 years. To hire someone outside the staff, could set the defense back... and this might affect W/L record negatively. Gibby worked on the field with Patterson last season and helped make the defensive calls with him as well as signaling in the calls for the safeties.

I don't agree with the logic at all. I would rather hire the best DC's available... build for the future while trying to win today.

I simply cannot believe that Luck would not take a rational look at what has happened on the defensive side of the ball, and apply that to whether Dana should be retained after next season.

Ive seen some of that too but.. not sure I buy it, if your Dana do you stake your future on another unproven commodity like he did with Joe D and risk another disaster on defense and surely get canned? I know he likes to gamble but I just don't see it. Also this group is working on a top 20 recruiting class for '15, why risk changing their responsibilities and hurting that effort when you could get a proven DC and leave the rest of the staff be and let them recruit their tails off?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Mark Snyder name bein thrown around as well....what's the deal with him?

In perfect world we replace with a proven DC and keep staff in place....Bradley if available makes sense on a lot of levels. I think he would have Pitt and Penn St concerned as far as recruiting goes.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am waiting for the bash articles on this one....you know about how Patterson has been around this program...blah blah blah....sure Mickey will throw some records in there as well. lol

Jeighmonee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I've heard the same thing, there's just no way Gibby gets the nod. I seriously doubt Holgorsen is going to hang his fate on an average position coach (and that's being extremely generous) that has only ever been a DC for 1 year of his life, and at a low level college to boot. It also can't be DeFo...which leave Brian Mitchell as the only reasonable internal candidate left. I just hope they decide to pony up the $$ and hire someone with a proven track record, and stop messing around.:gaah: