• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keep 'em, Cut 'em, Re-Sign 'em, or Let 'Em Walk?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the offseason is right around the corner, and we're in a year of transition with a new coaching staff coming in.

We have a lot of talent on this roster, and there were certainly some surprising young players that stepped up this year.

With that in mind, who do you guys want to see kept and/or let go?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm at work right now, and my lunch is almost over, so I don't have time right now, but I plan on going through the whole roster, player-by-player, and giving my two cents worth on whether I think they should stay or go.

For the most part I think we keep the majority of them through training camp so the new staff can see what they're dealing with, and most major changes that will happen will come in the form of training camp cuts...

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only ones I want cut are Houston and Akers. I don't injure what the cap hit on cutting Houston would be though. I would like to see Pettigrew re-signed. I like Delmas but don't feel strongly either way. I'm not sure who else has their contract up.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to let Pettigrew go. He did very well at the end of the year but I still dont want to chance spending decent money on him. There would have to be a serious hometown discount.

Idonije can probably go too. Ziggy and Devin Taylor are the real deal. Jones will be back next year. Either he or Willie young can go. I would rather have the dumbass then the old guy. We actually need to add another good DT. Fairly and Suh seem to get tired late in games. It will only get worse as the years go by.

Akers can go if can find a suitable replacement.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking if Schwartz fires Linehan he will come back. 12 million is a big bite from a team with the highest salary obligations in the NFL.

Resign Ross he hasn't been great but he sure has solidified a bad return game.

Let Durham, and Burleson go.

Resign Ogletree as the 4th WR.

Let Pettigrew go he doesn't do any one thing well enough to not be replaced.

Let Raiola go. Time to find a younger center, give him his gold watch and say good-bye.

Let Aikers go and find a kicker like they did with Miller.

Sign Greenwood and give him a legit shot at nickel.

Cut Delmas and find a safety with his talent but not his injuries or mental breakdowns.

Let Reggie Bush go save some dollars and resign Bell and look for a young guy.

Bye-Bye Mikhel LeShoure!

As much as I would like to see Shaun Hill stay in Detroit I think that the Lions can find a guy cheaper, unless he is willing to give them the home team discount.

Waddle and Fauria should be signed to extensions they were great UDFA.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see BP, Delmas and Greenwood back. Im ready for Fox to move on. Be interesting to see what happens to Willie Young. He's put in solid time, especially for a seventh rounder. But he's dumb. Not sure if a new regime will be willing to inherit Willie. Reggie Bush can get cut for all I care. He can't be trusted.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see BP, Delmas and Greenwood back. Im ready for Fox to move on. Be interesting to see what happens to Willie Young. He's put in solid time, especially for a seventh rounder. But he's dumb. Not sure if a new regime will be willing to inherit Willie. Reggie Bush can get cut for all I care. He can't be trusted.

Do we really wanna cut Bush after we signed him to a $16mil deal? Take out his fumbling problem(albeit a big one) and he was a very good player. Get it corrected I say.

As for Young and his intelligence level, I looked but couldn't find his Wonderlic score. I could only find his GPA which was 2.6

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im impressed he got a 2.6. As far as Reggie goes.... His fumbles and his drops are hard to stomach. He plays a position where hands are of the utmost importance, and his aren't very good. He'll be back, Im almost positive. But I'd be fine with it if he's not. Idk if LeShoure had butt sex with somebodys wife or what, but I see no reason for him to be around. If you can't crack the lineup with an injured fumblitis infected Bush not sure what use you'll ever be again. Ravioli needs to be gone also. Doesn't matter to me if he comes cheap and did a decent job. Dudes a fuggin douche, time to move on from him.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know the cap hits they would take by cutting certain guys they just signed, so can't really say who should be cut or not.

I just know -- they need to find a #2 WR to line up opposite Megatron. they need to try and find another quality CB or hope that Chris Houston turns it around next year. they need to find a TE that can stretch the field (i love fauria in the red zone, but not sure he is the guy to play every down). they need to find another OLB, while Levy has been UNREAL this year, they need someone to play opposite him on the other side.

The real sad part is -- outside of the WR position and CB -- Detroit was pretty damn good every else. They just need to play more discipline and STOP TURNING THE BALL OVER and shooting themselves in the foot. Detroit worst enemy this year was themselves.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we really wanna cut Bush after we signed him to a $16mil deal? Take out his fumbling problem(albeit a big one) and he was a very good player. Get it corrected I say.

As for Young and his intelligence level, I looked but couldn't find his Wonderlic score. I could only find his GPA which was 2.6

If Reggie'e 16 million was in salary and not signing bonus….yea move on. I don't think we loose all tat much with Bell and we spend that cash on a real #2 receiver. When CJ was out the offense was through!

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know the cap hits they would take by cutting certain guys they just signed, so can't really say who should be cut or not.
I don't either. I looked but could only find his salary cap hits each year. Not exactly sure how those work out when released, not that I think he should be, just doin some research for Rappin' Smit-tay.

they need to find a #2 WR to line up opposite Megatron
I agree. Maybe with Xanders in now he can properly evaluate one we could draft. I thought Durham did pretty well, but it's obvious his skills are limited. He's not a bad option to have on the bench though as I liked his progression this year. I just can't see him as a true #2.

Also, buh bye Burley. Dude HAS to go. His motivational speeches, while great sounding on mic'd up, obviously did little to get this team going. I'd rather listen to Delmas' incoherent rants whilst his dreads flop to and "fro".

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a great thread idea Tpaulus.

I agree with A LOT of what JDwillis had to say, other than cutting Reggie.

First and foremost, J.Bell needs to be resigned more than anyone. Certainly worth the same deal Reggie got. Willie Young also needs to be paid a bit but not breaking the bank. Every other free agent is easily replaceable.

People who I would rather not see next year...
1) Burly ( Needs to push off to separate ).
2) Kris Durham (Dudes hands are suspect at best, Don't care if Stafford is butthurt after he is cut)
3) Ashlee Palmer (Guy is completely non existent)

Who I want to see get more playing time...
Jeremy Ross (I would like to see him work in the slot, it is obvious the kid is explosive and dangerous with the ball in his hands.)
Rodney Austin (Would love to see this guy take over the center position, this guy has size and exceptional strength, supposedly).

dacey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Reggie'e 16 million was in salary and not signing bonus….yea move on. I don't think we loose all tat much with Bell and we spend that cash on a real #2 receiver. When CJ was out the offense was through!

Reggie Bush signed for 4 years and a total contract value of $16 million. He received
a $4 million signing bonus. His base salary this year was $1 million. His base salary for 2014
is $3.5 million and also $3.5 million for 2015. In 2016 his base salary would be $4 million.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a list I found that shows the 2014 Lions Free Agents.

Brandon Pettigrew TE UFA DET TBD 28 $3,470,000
Shaun Hill QB UFA DET TBD 33 $3,250,000
Dominic Raiola C UFA DET TBD 34 $3,012,500
Willie Young DE UFA DET TBD 28 $1,500,000
Jason Fox RT, T UFA DET TBD 25 $1,323,000
John Wendling S UFA DET TBD 30 $938,333
Leroy Harris C UFA DET TBD 29 $937,500
Don Carey S UFA DET TBD 26 $680,000
Joique Bell RB RFA DET TBD 27 $630,000
David Akers K UFA DET TBD 39 $620,000
Dylan Gandy G UFA DET TBD 31 $620,000
Israel Idonije DE UFA DET TBD 33 $620,000
Don Muhlbach LS UFA DET TBD 32 $620,000
Kris Durham WR RFA DET TBD 25 $555,000
Rashean Mathis CB UFA DET TBD 33 $555,000
Rocky McIntosh OLB, LB UFA DET TBD 31 $555,000
Kevin Ogletree WR UFA DET TBD 26 $546,765
Andre Fluellen DT UFA DET TBD 28 $457,059
Jeremy Ross WR ERFA DET TBD 25 $310,588
Dorin Dickerson FB UFA DET TBD 25 $195,882
Julian Stanford OLB, LB RFA DET TBD 23 $112,941
Micheal Spurlock WR UFA DET TBD 30 $84,117
Ogemdi Nwaguo DT UFA DET TBD 28

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of that list I'd like to see Bell (of course) Ross, Carey, Mathis and Fox for sure. Guys I wouldn't mind seeing Durham, Fluellen, Wendling, Young, and Hill. Guys I'd like to see go, Raiola, Pettigrew, Akers, Akers again, and then probably Akers.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still haven't had time to dive into this, but the wife is gone all weekend, so I should have plenty of time to get 'er done up...

In the mean time I've got a free agent target in mind:

SIGN FREAKING JASON HANSON BACK!!!!

He's said recently that he can still kick in the NFL and the reason he left was that he didn't want to play for the veteran minimum he was being offered. So, after this season of Akers making us all go insane I vote we give Hanson vet minimum +50% to kick for another year for us and also sign Rugland to the practice squad to keep developing for the future...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's said recently that he can still kick in the NFL and the reason he left was that he didn't want to play for the veteran minimum he was being offered. So, after this season of Akers making us all go insane I vote we give Hanson vet minimum +50% to kick for another year for us and also sign Rugland to the practice squad to keep developing for the future...
It's not a bad idea. Martin has the leg for kickoff duties. He's shown it. He just has to stop with the directional kicking. Just boot the fucker out of the end zone.

However, I wouldn't be opposed to simply signing Rugland to a contract and have him be the kicker, if he's worthy. Let's let him develop into another Hanson, a kicker with a long history with the Lions.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before any player is let go or signed, we gotta take care of the elephant in the room. Does Schwartz stay or go? I say bye-bye. Hire a new head coach, early. Then the players can be addressed.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before any player is let go or signed, we gotta take care of the elephant in the room. Does Schwartz stay or go? I say bye-bye. Hire a new head coach, early. Then the players can be addressed.
I think this goes without saying. I mean, is there anyone that feels Schwartz should stay? Honestly?

ari-gold-gtfo-o.gif

tumblr_ma4b5piy4z1qcpel0.gif

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Well, thankfully, that's one mistake I don't have to live with. You're fired."