• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh Gordon = Knucklehead

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe anyone would compare Gordon to Jackie Robinson. :L

Yep. You are pretty much comparing possibly the most mentally tough athlete in history to one who is weak mentally & appears to have little self control.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league isn't keeping him from the fans, Gordon and his complete and total lack of self control is doing that to himself.

Redo your conditional analysis and come back. What you are claiming in your above post is that a spark starts a fire all by itself. It doesn't. Your conditional analysis is faulty.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe anyone would compare Gordon to Jackie Robinson. :L

No one did. When the rules are changed for one guy, they apply to the many. Jackie Robinson is an example of that fact. Some of you were having trouble grasping the concept.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. You are pretty much comparing possibly the most mentally tough athlete in history to one who is weak mentally & appears to have little self control.

Who are you to judge their character? I'm not applying any consideration to how they conduct themselves. They are free to live how they like. What I am pointing out is that rules get changed and then many people benefit. Almost 20% of the league was black players at one point and now it's closer to the proportion within the population as a whole. Before Jackie it was 0%. See how many people have benefited?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are you to judge their character? I'm not applying any consideration to how they conduct themselves. They are free to live how they like. What I am pointing out is that rules get changed and then many people benefit. Almost 20% of the league was black players at one point and now it's closer to the proportion within the population as a whole. Before Jackie it was 0%. See how many people have benefited?

So you are comparing someone who broke the color line while being one of the bravest individuals ever by having to endure a lot while keeping silent to a guy who smokes pot & can't control it? Wow - what a brave sole - all bow down to Josh Gordon. Your posts get more ridiculous by the moment. Can't wait to see your next silly reply.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost 20% of the league was black players at one point and now it's closer to the proportion within the population as a whole. Before Jackie it was 0%. See how many people have benefited?

First of all, 12.6% of US citizens are black as of 2010, so professional sports in NO WAY mirror the overall population.

Secondly, there was no rule, just racism that kept baseball segregated. The Dodgers did not get a rule changed to sign Jackie Robinson, they just did so.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redo your conditional analysis and come back. What you are claiming in your above post is that a spark starts a fire all by itself. It doesn't. Your conditional analysis is faulty.
No, what I'm claiming is that Gordon's drug test failure is a lack of personal responsibility. It's not the NFL's fault he can't stop smoking pot long enough to pass a few piss tests. I'm not about to feel sorry for a guy that's not allowed to play a game for a living because he can't resist lighting it up.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if you want to play in the NFL, you're not. They're a private business, they're free to make rules as they like, as long as they can get the NFLPA to agree to them. The fact that Josh Gordon can't abide by the rules set up is on him and no one else.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are comparing someone who broke the color line while being one of the bravest individuals ever by having to endure a lot while keeping silent to a guy who smokes pot & can't control it? Wow - what a brave sole - all bow down to Josh Gordon. Your posts get more ridiculous by the moment. Can't wait to see your next silly reply.

No, I'm not comparing them. Just using Jackie as an example of rules getting changed for one talented guy and it benefiting many people after him. But I've already said that here. Jackie is a good example, a clear example, of one guy's talents helping to change an archaic and degrading rule.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - yes we can judge Gordon's character - it is a free country. Also - as a I stated previously - either Gordon is weak or doesn't give a shit or he has serious issues & needs to go to rehab. He violated the rules numerous times & needs to pay the penalty. He doesn't get a pass just because a selfish person like yourself wants to see him play football.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm not comparing them. Just using Jackie as an example of rules getting changed for one talented guy and it benefiting many people after him. But I've already said that here. Jackie is a good example, a clear example, of one guy's talents helping to change an archaic and degrading rule.

Jackie didn't change any rules.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So overt racism is on par with being able to get high whenever you like even if it violates company policy? Got it.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, 12.6% of US citizens are black as of 2010, so professional sports in NO WAY mirror the overall population.

Baseball's percentages are something like 8%. They were about 18% in 1980.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackie didn't change any rules.

Did Rickey get pushback from other owners? He went outside their agreed upon pool of players. Jackie was before modern discrimination of urine.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing degrading about not being allowed to smoke pot.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be up to the Browns.

So given this stance should Gordon then also be given a 5th, 6th & even 20th chance if he continues to basically ignore the current policy? Again - don't confuse this with anyone's views on pot. This is all about company rules (& in the NFL they work together so the Browns nor any other team are not going to fight this).

If/when the policy on pot is changed - great - he can do whatever he likes. Till that time either cooperate or get lost. Otherwise - you might as well just turn over all power to the players & let them do whatever they like - stupid.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing degrading about not being allowed to smoke pot.

Sure is, especially when it has shown medical benefits in regards to concussions and isn't as harmful as the pills widely distributed legally and illegally throughout the league. But I'm going to go out on a very thick limb and suggest that you are not open to digesting the science on this issue.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball's percentages are something like 8%. They were about 18% in 1980.

Here is a graph which shows the racial breakdown in MLB, but keep in mind that just because it doesn't mirror the USA general population exactly it doesn't mean there is some racist force at work. The reason being is because all of MLB's players aren't taken just from the United States. 26% come from other countries which drives up latin numbers for example while lowering black and white percentages. As a whole MLB has come a long way from when 100% of the players were white only. Now only 60% are white and the remaining 40% is a mix of minorities. I don't know how this got onto a football board though. lol. :noidea:

Race-MLB.png