• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh Gordon = Knucklehead

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So given this stance should Gordon then also be given a 5th, 6th & even 20th chance if he continues to basically ignore the current policy? Again - don't confuse this with anyone's views on pot. This is all about company rules (& in the NFL they work together so the Browns nor any other team are not going to fight this).

If/when the policy on pot is changed - great - he can do whatever he likes. Till that time either cooperate or get lost. Otherwise - you might as well just turn over all power to the players & let them do whatever they like - stupid.

The policy should be ended. The league could announce the end of the policy and Gordon's reinstatement together for all I care. Or if they want to be ruled by their own internal feverish hatred for Josh Gordon's lackadaisical attitude towards their high and mighty statutes, then they can end the policy and not reinstate Josh and in the process deprive fans of witnessing his talents. The league holds the cards here.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a graph which shows the racial breakdown in MLB, but keep in mind that just because it doesn't mirror the USA general population exactly it doesn't mean there is some racist force at work. The reason being is because all of MLB's players aren't taken just from the United States. 26% come from other countries which drives up latin numbers for example while lowering black and white percentages. As a whole MLB has come a long way from when 100% of the players were white only. Now only 60% are white and the remaining 40% is a mix of minorities. I don't know how this got onto a football board though. lol. :noidea:

It's the best players that want to play baseball. I don't care how it's distributed. Race was never the point here. Just that letting one guy play then benefits those that come after him.

It's really not a contentious point, but people were having issues with their own cognitive dissonance.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure is, especially when it has shown medical benefits in regards to concussions and isn't as harmful as the pills widely distributed legally and illegally throughout the league. But I'm going to go out on a very thick limb and suggest that you are not open to digesting the science on this issue.
giphy.gif

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The policy should be ended. The league could announce the end of the policy and Gordon's reinstatement together for all I care. Or if they want to be ruled by their own internal feverish hatred for Josh Gordon's lackadaisical attitude towards their high and mighty statutes, then they can end the policy and not reinstate Josh and in the process deprive fans of witnessing his talents. The league holds the cards here.
Or maybe the NFL doesn't want to end it so they don't run foul of the federal government. Cause that could put the NFL in a precarious position where the feds are saying don't do it and the NFL is saying smoke up Johnny!

I'd bet my house that if the federal government decriminalized marijuana, the NFL would follow up shortly with removing it from their list of banned substances. But until that happens, the NFL isn't about to risk pissing off the federal government for the Josh Gordon's of the world.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perfect clip. Laughing like an ignorant fool.:clap:
I'm laughing because you called it "degrading" to not be allowed to smoke pot. That's asinine.

If smoking pot is that important to Gordon (which it seems that it is), he's free to pursue a career where that is allowed. Otherwise, GTFO with calling it "degrading."

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I, for one, don't have a nagging feeling of being deprived of watching Josh Gordon. I could care less if he sees the field ever again. It is (and always has been) up to him if he wants to play in the NFL. There are probably plenty of jobs available which don't require drug testing that he can apply for and then he can puff his brains out. It's a free country and he's free to work where he wants as long as an employer will hire him.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can re-apply for reinstatement Aug 1

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Smoke weed everyday" is just a lyric not a commandment

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right I did say that. You could focus on the "change" part instead of the "for him" part and you'd better understand that statement as it was intended. I could have been clearer. Once changed, they would be changed moving forward. The rules were changed for Jackie Robinson and then applied to everybody.
What "rule" was officially changed for J Robinson?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe the NFL doesn't want to end it so they don't run foul of the federal government. Cause that could put the NFL in a precarious position where the feds are saying don't do it and the NFL is saying smoke up Johnny!

I'd bet my house that if the federal government decriminalized marijuana, the NFL would follow up shortly with removing it from their list of banned substances. But until that happens, the NFL isn't about to risk pissing off the federal government for the Josh Gordon's of the world.
All the league has to do is not test for it. That doesn't run afoul of any laws.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What "rule" was officially changed for J Robinson?
Another one of you? Aye yi yi. :doh:

Let me try to get you on the right track... Once the idea changed for Jackie then non-Jackies benefited. Do you disagree that non-Jackies benefited from the new situation afforded to Jackie?

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let me try to get you on the right track... Once the idea changed for Jackie then non-Jackies benefited. Do you disagree that non-Jackies benefited from the new situation afforded to Jackie?
Your analogy doesn't really fit IMO. I just noticed you said they changed a rule for Jackie. I just wanted you to clarify. I don't think there was an official rule (like there is with weed) that was changed for Jackie.

Look, I love weed. I think it should be legal. Much better for pain than opiates IMO. I also think rules are rules and if Gordon doesn't care enough to pass his drug tests and continue to make millions, then...fuck him.

I have a job that doesn't drug test me. I would not work somewhere that drug-tested. This is my personal choice. However, if I did have a job (especially one that paid me millions) that required me to not use weed, I would understand the rules and the consequences. Pretty simple really.

I don't at all feel slighted that I haven't seen him play lately and don't care at all if he ever suits up again.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess I should have read the rest of the thread. I am not alone in my criticism of your analogy and your confusing grasp of what a "rule" is.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your analogy doesn't really fit IMO. I just noticed you said they changed a rule for Jackie. I just wanted you to clarify. I don't think there was an official rule (like there is with weed) that was changed for Jackie.

Look, I love weed. I think it should be legal. Much better for pain than opiates IMO. I also think rules are rules and if Gordon doesn't care enough to pass his drug tests and continue to make millions, then...fuck him.

I have a job that doesn't drug test me. I would not work somewhere that drug-tested. This is my personal choice. However, if I did have a job (especially one that paid me millions) that required me to not use weed, I would understand the rules and the consequences. Pretty simple really.

I don't at all feel slighted that I haven't seen him play lately and don't care at all if he ever suits up again.
My first comment was that they should change the rule. If they change it in time for Gordon then it will be changed in time for everyone after. How is that a bad thing?

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first comment was that they should change the rule. If they change it in time for Gordon then it will be changed in time for everyone after. How is that a bad thing?

What the hell makes Gordon so special that they should hurry to change the rules for him? I really don't know why this is so important to you. Are you Josh Gordon's weed dealer, is that it? I mean there are plenty of other dumb rules the NFL has that they could change too but this one seems to be your personal favorite.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep & this goes beyond things like substance abuse. Every company has its policies & you either follow them or you hit the road. Things like showing up on time, dress codes, no smoking policies, mandatory training, having adequate credit scores, etc are all part of maintaining employment for many folks.

Why should this be different for Gordon? You break the rules you pay the consequences. If they repeal the rules - great - then you get a pass. Until that time - deal with it. Is someone actually trying to maintain that if you have superior talent you should not have to follow the rules? That is the type of thing that is not only going to piss off fans but also could potentially divide a locker room.