• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

jon gruden

does jon gruden coach next year?

• coaching college

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • coaching pro

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • back to the booth

Votes: 26 65.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NativeWebfoot

Live to race-Race to live
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually concerned about that. When Kiffin came to Seattle for gameday I just had an ominous feeling it wasn't his only reason for visiting.

Sark to USC, Kiffin to UW.

Mother fucker...
Now THAT would be "killing 2 birds (colleges) with 1 stone". USC on a 7 win cycle and UW hopelessly shot down but able to pull 1-2 upsets/year. :laugh3:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grass isn't always greener and he is making millions doing what he does now. Personally I wouldn't want trade the off time for the stress and time commitment of running a major collegiate program.

Gruden has it made right now and very well could be setup for a very long and lucrative career. Personally I wouldn't make a move and I don't think he will either most likely MNF will give him a raise and extended contract to stay.

The problem with this is that you are basically basing it off of what YOU would do rather than what Gruden may do. If he has the itch to coach again, then he'll likely coach again. ESPN isn't going anywhere. If he decides that he wants to coach, ESPN (or another network) will still be there when he is done.

I'm not saying that he will be coaching again, but to say he won't because he has it made as a t.v. analyst seems shortsighted. He's a competitive person and he may decide to come back simply because he misses the competition.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with this is that you are basically basing it off of what YOU would do rather than what Gruden may do. If he has the itch to coach again, then he'll likely coach again. ESPN isn't going anywhere. If he decides that he wants to coach, ESPN (or another network) will still be there when he is done.

I'm not saying that he will be coaching again, but to say he won't because he has it made as a t.v. analyst seems shortsighted. He's a competitive person and he may decide to come back simply because he misses the competition.
No argument but I am also weighing the pros and cons and the pros say stay. He can do whatever he WANTS but that doesn't make it the smart move or the best quality of life move.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think Gruden stays in the booth like John Madden. Madden coached the Raiders until he was 42 years old -- then he became a color commentator/analyst, which he did for 30 years until he retired at age 72

Gruden coached in the NFL until he was 45 years old -- then became a color commentator/analyst

also note that:

--in 11 years as an NFL head coach, Gruden only had four seasons with 10 or more wins (12, 12, 11, 10), and he only had a winning season 6 out of those 11 years. He got fired by the Bucs

--Gruden only has three years experience as an NCAA coach (1988 SE Missouri State, 1989 Univ of the Pacific, 1991 Pitt) while he has two decades experience as an NFL coach (1990, 1992-2008)

--if Gruden were to go to the NCAA, he'd likely go / have gone to Notre Dame or Tennessee, both of who have been looking for a good coach for a while. Gruden is Catholic and grew up in South Bend (his dad coached for Notre Dame) during the Dan Devine years (including the 1977 National Championship). And Gruden got his first coaching job (grad asst) at Tennessee under Johnny Majors. Gruden met his wife while he was at Tennessee -- she was a cheerleader for Tennessee and she is from Tennessee

madden_07.jpg

John Madden on the Maddencruiser

7NationalChampionships

SportsHoopla Top 10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think Gruden stays in the booth like John Madden. Madden coached the Raiders until he was 42 years old -- then he became a color commentator/analyst, which he did for 30 years until he retired at age 72

Gruden coached in the NFL until he was 45 years old -- then became a color commentator/analyst

also note that:

--in 11 years as an NFL head coach, Gruden only had four seasons with 10 or more wins (12, 12, 11, 10), and he only had a winning season 6 out of those 11 years. He got fired by the Bucs

--Gruden only has three years experience as an NCAA coach (1988 SE Missouri State, 1989 Univ of the Pacific, 1991 Pitt) while he has two decades experience as an NFL coach (1990, 1992-2008)

--if Gruden were to go to the NCAA, he'd likely go / have gone to Notre Dame or Tennessee, both of who have been looking for a good coach for a while. Gruden is Catholic and grew up in South Bend (his dad coached for Notre Dame) during the Dan Devine years (including the 1977 National Championship). And Gruden got his first coaching job (grad asst) at Tennessee under Johnny Majors. Gruden met his wife while he was at Tennessee -- she was a cheerleader for Tennessee and she is from Tennessee

madden_07.jpg

John Madden on the Maddencruiser

Ata way to take em to school tshirt. :pound:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument but I am also weighing the pros and cons and the pros say stay. He can do whatever he WANTS but that doesn't make it the smart move or the best quality of life move.

All true. But we've seen guys leave the announcers booth before. They say "retirement is awful quiet", but then I've also heard ex-coaches say "I'm unbeaten since I became an analyst".

One thing for sure, IF (a big if) Gruden does decide to coach again, he can pretty well pick his job and will likely be handed a blank check.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But why would he be a hot commodity in college? Because of his QB show? Not saying he wouldn't be successful but I like Tony Dungy's quote about not knowing how to recruit and Dungy seems like he would appeal to high school kids more than Gruden.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But why would he be a hot commodity in college? Because of his QB show? Not saying he wouldn't be successful but I like Tony Dungy's quote about not knowing how to recruit and Dungy seems like he would appeal to high school kids more than Gruden.

most high level programs have coaches that specialize in recruiting. the HC only need come in and seal the deal. Plus i imagine he could pick it up real quick if he takes the right job.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most high level programs have coaches that specialize in recruiting. the HC only need come in and seal the deal. Plus i imagine he could pick it up real quick if he takes the right job.

True, but from the way Gruden comes off to me is a guy who loves the spotlight doesn't seem like he'd want to delegate responsibilities of building his team to some other guys. Isn't that kind of why he left Oakland?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gruden would be more appealing because he has greater name recognition. What high school kid wouldn't want to play for "Chucky".

As for recruiting, his name pretty much does that for him. Also, if he went to USC (don't think he will), all he has to do is keep Orgeron as recruiting coordinator!!

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id say if its not usc he goes the nfl route

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but from the way Gruden comes off to me is a guy who loves the spotlight doesn't seem like he'd want to delegate responsibilities of building his team to some other guys. Isn't that kind of why he left Oakland?

At a major program, he'd have plenty of spotlight and the difference between college and the Raiders is that at the college, he could tell his coaches who to recruit.

With the Raiders, he didn't get to decide which players he wanted, the cryptkeeper told him which ones he could have.

InfantryGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the booth (more like never leaving it).

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grass isn't always greener and he is making millions doing what he does now. Personally I wouldn't want trade the off time for the stress and time commitment of running a major collegiate program.

Gruden has it made right now and very well could be setup for a very long and lucrative career. Personally I wouldn't make a move and I don't think he will either most likely MNF will give him a raise and extended contract to stay.

Monday night football isn't the top spot anymore. It's on cable now and has taken a backseat to Sunday Night Football. I won't be surprised if ESPNs Monday night contract is "out bided" when its contract expires. That means his long and lucrative career isn't a for sure thing. He will coach again. If he wants to go college, now is the time. USC and Texas both looking. I think though he is holding out for a pro job. Dallas would be it but I think Garrett gets another year because well Jerry Jones is stupid.

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs to stay in the booth. He is the best part of Monday Night Football at this point. When the game is unbearable, at least you can always get excited for the next crazy/stupid thing he is going to say.

InfantryGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember last year when Vol fans thought he'd take the UT job. Good times.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to Dallas. Jerry Jones already hired some of his old assistants, like monte kiffin.