• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jim Harbaugh is far and away

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never liked the guy, but I never understood all the hate he gets.

He built the foundation of a great football program at Stanford that continues today under David Shaw. His first three seasons with the 49ers were outstanding, reaching the NFC Championship game 3 times and the Superbowl once. He inherited a Michigan team that went 5-7 the year before he took over and has gone 25-8 since. In 2017 he had the nation's #5 ranked recruiting class and in 2016 had the nation's #8 ranked recruiting class.

They are not off to a great start this year, but Harbaugh is a good coach. He may be easy to hate, but he has a great track record and I believe he has Michigan going in the right direction.
Yup. I think people want it to be like Hoke but deep down know this is just a minor blip in the overall turnaround he's performing at Michigan.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad he is only making 3.5 million instead of 9 million then.
I'm glad we're paying him whatever we need to pay him to keep him here. As someone who pays way too much to the University every year for my seats, I'm fine with it. Because I know it's a process and it will pay off in the end (more than it already has).

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never liked the guy, but I never understood all the hate he gets.

He built the foundation of a great football program at Stanford that continues today under David Shaw. His first three seasons with the 49ers were outstanding, reaching the NFC Championship game 3 times and the Superbowl once. He inherited a Michigan team that went 5-7 the year before he took over and has gone 25-8 since. In 2017 he had the nation's #5 ranked recruiting class and in 2016 had the nation's #8 ranked recruiting class.

They are not off to a great start this year, but Harbaugh is a good coach. He may be easy to dislike, but he has a great track record and I believe he has Michigan going in the right direction.
Probably has something to do with a certain Michigan trolling and arguing that Harbaugh is a better coach than a Saban.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how many of those other coaches you were talking about had any top ten/fifteen classes when they walked in? Harbaugh had a HUGE jump start on any head coach currently in the BigTen not named Urban Meyer. And the two small bad classes are why he was able to sign 30 players the last two years.
Well, I can think of at least one. Swinney at Clemson had 4 top 15 classes prior to him entering Clemson in 2009. Including one top 10 class. In his first three years he went 9-5, 6-7 and 10-4.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I can think of at least one. Swinney at Clemson had 4 top 15 classes prior to him entering Clemson in 2009. Including one top 10 class. In his first three years he went 9-5, 6-7 and 10-4.
I apologize I misread and thought you said in the Big Ten not Big time programs. Posting at work and just speed reading. My bad.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's bullshit. The quality of play on this team, especially on defense, is better than anything Brady Hoke produced (despite the same record). And given Hoke went 2-6 in his final 8 games in 2013, I'm guessing Harbaugh finishes better than Hoke in his 3rd year.

Not to mention the multiple coaches at big schools who have similar, or worse, records in their first 3 years.

What is bullshit?

Their records ARE the same to this point.

Both had good seasons to start their careers, only to watch them trail off over a few years. And the quality of recruiting has remained about the same between both of them.

But I am talking to the same people who thought they stole Nuss from Alabama, so not surprised.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly agree. However, at the same points the program is much better and more competitive than with Hoke. After their Sugar Bowl victory (with RichRod's players) Hoke's teams started trending down. Not seeing this here.

Michigan recruiting was not bad under Hoke.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. Do people remember where Michigan was before he got here? The simple fact that you think losing 2 games is a letdown for Michigan means he's done exactly what we wanted him to do.
You wanted him to lose to Michigan State?

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Overrated is the lamest burn sports. Coaches, teams, players don't rank themselves. The media and fans do. So when someone says someone else is overrated, what they are really saying is the media and fans are a bunch of idiots. Which is usually true.

2) FINALLY local sports media here in the D is talking about this AM what I've been saying for weeks - the fire in Harbaugh's belly to win is gone. He no longer has that unquenchable thirst to win. We aren't paying him 9 million a year to beat Illinois and Indiana.

3) I won't be heartbroken if he goes back to the NFL this year. The problem could be he's realized that is where he really wants to be.

1. Agree, that's why I hit front slash, overpaid.

2. I don't suggest he get's fired, just think he gets paid a lot of money to have the same record as Brady Hoke did through this many games.

3. Not sure why the NFL would want him.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Grobe is more accomplished in college football than Harbaugh. He lead Wake Forest to the ACC title in 2006.

lol, that is amazing. I'm pretty up and down when it comes to Grobe's tenure at Wake.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, that is amazing. I'm pretty up and down when it comes to Grobe's tenure at Wake.

The ACC was down back when Clemson was still Clemsoning and Bobby Bowden needed to retire, and Miami fell off. Virginia Tech was really the only consistently good team during the 00's. There were some pretty random conference champs on the VA Tech down years IIRC. Not on the level as the Big East when fucking UCONN got a spot in a BCS bowl for winning the conference, but still.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably has something to do with a certain Michigan trolling and arguing that Harbaugh is a better coach than a Saban.

????????

Alabama under Saban is a machine ... Alabama is every other teams Super Bowl. Say what you will about Urban Meyer, but ohio state was broken when he got there. I like Harbaugh, but he is not at their level. Still I like Harbaugh

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC was down back when Clemson was still Clemsoning and Bobby Bowden needed to retire, and Miami fell off. Virginia Tech was really the only consistently good team during the 00's. There were some pretty random conference champs on the VA Tech down years IIRC. Not on the level as the Big East when fucking UCONN got a spot in a BCS bowl for winning the conference, but still.

What do you mean back when Clemson was still Clemsoning, they Clemsoned just the other week, lol.