• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

jay cutler signs 7 year deal with the bears

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uh...no I didn't?? :wtf:

You stated we shoulda signed McCown, let Cutler walk and draft a QB. That is rebuilding!!?? Why the fuck would we wanna go into "rebuild" mode, when all the pieces are already there??

Your opinion that we should've have rode a stop-gap, 34 yr old journeyman, while we groom the QB of our future(that we haven't drafted yet, and have no way of knowing whether said hypothetical draft pick will succeed or flop) all while wasting years off the most talented offense we've ever had is flat-out asinine.

a 34 year old journeyman that out played cutler for one. second, you still keep answering your own question. we would have all the pieces in place on offense. we could have tried to find a great QB in the draft. a draft that will be full of QB's.

we just might of found a real qb like seatlle and philly did. NOPE we decided to gamble on a QB that has proved anything AFTER HOW MANY YEARS IN THE LEAGUE, and how many offense coordinators?.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCown played great, but its but a small chunk of the full season, against paltry defenses. Can he sustain that through 16 weeks? No one knows. Drafting a QB is a 50/50 crapshoot, with no guarantees, as well.

This team just needs to plug a few holes on defense and they are a contender.

Let Cutler walk, and nobody knows what we are, but it definitely screams "rebuild" to me?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long will be a stud. The Bears are lucky there's a glutton of talent at offensive tackle in this next draft.

Bears o-line is light years ahead of where it was the previous 4 seasons. Long is definitely a stud, but bringing in Bushrod and Slausen helped as well.

They will only get better IMO.

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCown played great, but its but a small chunk of the full season, against paltry defenses. Can he sustain that through 16 weeks? No one knows. Drafting a QB is a 50/50 crapshoot, with no guarantees, as well.

This team just needs to plug a few holes on defense and they are a contender.

Let Cutler walk, and nobody knows what we are, but it definitely screams "rebuild" to me?

can cutler sustain 16 weeks? he's only played one full season for the bears. have you seen that stats from that particular year? keeping cutler is no guarantee either, but if we use history as our guide , cutler will be injured or choked in crucial games.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can cutler sustain 16 weeks? he's only played one full season for the bears. have you seen that stats from that particular year? keeping cutler is no guarantee either, but if we use history as our guide , cutler will be injured or choked in crucial games.

That year (Cutler's 1st in Chicago), the Bears had close to the worst OL and worst receiving corps in the NFL. Not to mention a clueless offensive coordinator. There's not a QB in the league that would have put up good stats in that situation.

Really, this was the first season that Cutler had a good situation around him on offense. Lovie was a great defensive coach that knew pretty much nothing about offense. They brought in a great offensive mind (Trestman) for Cutler, and Jeffery developed into a top receiver to go along with Marshall. Cutler responded by being top 10 in every statistical category before getting injured. Before the injury he was top 10 in passer rating, TD passes and yards. The injury messed up his season somewhat, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was blossoming into a top QB under Trestman. If Cutler stays healthy next season, he might be a top 5 QB.

As far as injuries, there have been only 2 years in Cutler's career that he missed significant time. This season with groin/ankle, and 2 years ago with the broken thumb. And even in those seasons, he still played in around 10 games. He's never had a season where he missed the majority of games. I believe he has missed only 12 starts in his entire career, so he has been a durable QB. Remember that the broken thumb 2 years ago was a complete freak injury. Happened when he was making a tackle after an INT, and an INT that wasn't even his fault because his receiver fell down. It was incredibly bad freak luck.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its funny the mccown nay sayers always bring up " hes just a jourymen", but leave out the fact he clearly out played cutler. should have never been benched to begin with in favor of cutler

im sure bears could have kept him out of retirement if we didn't resign cutler.

McCown didn't outplay Cutler. He just got lucky that pretty much every potential INT he threw got dropped by defenders or overturned by penalties. In his last 2 starts, he easily could have had 6 INTs. Gruden even commented on his carelessness during the Dallas game. McCown's stats would have been no better than Cutler's if defenders hadn't dropped all those INTs. It's also not as if the team was rolling with McCown. The Bears lost 2 of the last 3 games McCown played. Not blaming McCown, but just pointing out that the team wasn't doing better with him. So I don't see the argument that they should have stayed with him. Cutler came back and beat the Browns with 3 TD passes, and would have beaten the Packers had the defense not allowed THREE 4th down conversions on Green Bay's winning drive. Going back to Cutler proved to be the right move.

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....Going back to Cutler proved to be the right move......:laugh3:

Frank Rizzo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCown didn't outplay Cutler. He just got lucky that pretty much every potential INT he threw got dropped by defenders or overturned by penalties. In his last 2 starts, he easily could have had 6 INTs. Gruden even commented on his carelessness during the Dallas game. McCown's stats would have been no better than Cutler's if defenders hadn't dropped all those INTs. It's also not as if the team was rolling with McCown. The Bears lost 2 of the last 3 games McCown played. Not blaming McCown, but just pointing out that the team wasn't doing better with him. So I don't see the argument that they should have stayed with him. Cutler came back and beat the Browns with 3 TD passes, and would have beaten the Packers had the defense not allowed THREE 4th down conversions on Green Bay's winning drive. Going back to Cutler proved to be the right move.

I am confused by that last sentence. So what was the proof? The 8-8 record and missing the playoffs?

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am confused by that last sentence. So what was the proof? The 8-8 record and missing the playoffs?

No. The fact that he had a 100+ passer rating in 2 of the 3 games, and played a great game against the Packers with the division title on the line. The Bears are in the playoffs right now had their defense not allowed 4th down conversions THREE times on Green Bay's winning drive. A defense should NEVER allow 3 4th down conversions with the game on the line. That loss was not on Cutler, it was the defense. The Bears would be a playoff team if they didn't have a horrible defense. They had the 30th ranked defense. How is Cutler to blame for that? BTW on the previous drive on 3rd and long, Cutler threw a perfect long pass that would have iced the game but Jeffery dropped it. Cutler did EVERYTHING to win that game.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many Cutler jerseys do you own ATF? (My guess is just one, but Im curious.)

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We didnt go 8-8 and miss the playoffs because of cutler so go back and try to root on your packers before they lose yet again to S.F.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't they say this about every year? I mean what else are they going to say..."Well he looks pretty much like he did last year" said no coach ever.

:agree:Or...Man we fucked up signing him. What were we thinking...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
trestman keeps talking about how intelligent jay is. seems like a complete dumbass to me. Please Vaccinate Your Children, Jay Cutler

Seriously? Please go fuck off with this crap. There's a whole thread about vaccines on SportsHoopla already. Some people believe they're necessary; some people don't believe in injecting mercury or aluminum into the human body. This has nothing to do with Cutler's football intelligence, and you know it. I don't know if you're trolling on purpose, but this is the definition of trolling.

P.S. To the guy who wrote that article: mind your own f'ing business.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? Please go fuck off with this crap. There's a whole thread about vaccines on SportsHoopla already. Some people believe they're necessary; some people don't believe in injecting mercury or aluminum into the human body. This has nothing to do with Cutler's football intelligence, and you know it. I don't know if you're trolling on purpose, but this is the definition of trolling.

P.S. To the guy who wrote that article: mind your own f'ing business.

Thank you