• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

JaQuan Lyle, Ohio State Guard Arrested

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I saw something like they only will have 6 scholarship players for next year. At least as it stands now. They may add a grad transfer or spring recruit. But odds are it won't be an impactful player. They may be the worst team in the B1G after Rutgers. What a change from what they've been. Wow.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, we're screwed... and no end in sight. I read an article the other day that upgraded us from a dumpster fire to a 5-alarm tire fire that can seen from 5 counties over. I'd really just hate to see Thad go out like this. Hopefully those who are returning + the incoming recruits can somehow get it together, but I find it highly unlikely.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I saw something like they only will have 6 scholarship players for next year. At least as it stands now. They may add a grad transfer or spring recruit. But odds are it won't be an impactful player. They may be the worst team in the B1G after Rutgers. What a change from what they've been. Wow.

Yup, we're screwed... and no end in sight. I read an article the other day that upgraded us from a dumpster fire to a 5-alarm tire fire that can seen from 5 counties over. I'd really just hate to see Thad go out like this. Hopefully those who are returning + the incoming recruits can somehow get it together, but I find it highly unlikely.

I don't understand how it happened, but the BBall squad is absolutely terrible now. Can Thad just not recruit worth a shit?? It's not like the state is bereft of talent.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When will this minor league sports franchise get its shit together?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll up the payroll.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how it happened, but the BBall squad is absolutely terrible now. Can Thad just not recruit worth a shit?? It's not like the state is bereft of talent.

I'm not sure that's totally the case. Most of the guys who recently left were pretty good recruits... Lyle was a 5-star I think. I'm not sure if it's just not having the right staff in place or what, but we haven't seen good 'team' ball in a long time now. Everyone that left seems to lack heart or passion.. or something. I remember D Russell making the comment once that he'd show up to the gym to practice and be the only one in there. Hopefully all the garbage is gone and the guys that are left can start over. As for Bazley.. what a little pussy!!! Calling it quits because he doesn't think the team around him can help him get to a tournament... He can GTFO and stay out.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the downward spiral started because nobody ever thought Russell was going to be a 1 and done player. That really put a lot of pressure on Loving and Bates Diop, who just didn't/haven't lived up to the hype of how highly recruited they were. And the 2015 recruiting class, which was a top 5/6 class all decided to transfer out of town. After that it just started a domino effect, because in theory, the 2016 and 2017 classes should have been relatively small classes, but when 5 guys from one class all transfer, that leaves open a lot of slots and Matta probably didn't prioritize those classes because he thought he'd have this 2015 class on the roster and only need 2-3 spots filled each year, until 2018.

For whatever reason, Thad has slipped in recruiting. I know his health hasn't been great the last couple of years so maybe that has something to do with it. But he was always one of the best recruiters in the country, you don't land guys like Oden, Conley, Cook, Sullinger, Russell if you're not. It is really weird.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure that's totally the case. Most of the guys who recently left were pretty good recruits... Lyle was a 5-star I think. I'm not sure if it's just not having the right staff in place or what, but we haven't seen good 'team' ball in a long time now. Everyone that left seems to lack heart or passion.. or something. I remember D Russell making the comment once that he'd show up to the gym to practice and be the only one in there. Hopefully all the garbage is gone and the guys that are left can start over. As for Bazley.. what a little pussy!!! Calling it quits because he doesn't think the team around him can help him get to a tournament... He can GTFO and stay out.

I don't necessarily disagree with that comment, but it's one that shouldn't be said. He comes off really arrogant and self indulging.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the downward spiral started because nobody ever thought Russell was going to be a 1 and done player. That really put a lot of pressure on Loving and Bates Diop, who just didn't/haven't lived up to the hype of how highly recruited they were. And the 2015 recruiting class, which was a top 5/6 class all decided to transfer out of town. After that it just started a domino effect, because in theory, the 2016 and 2017 classes should have been relatively small classes, but when 5 guys from one class all transfer, that leaves open a lot of slots and Matta probably didn't prioritize those classes because he thought he'd have this 2015 class on the roster and only need 2-3 spots filled each year, until 2018.

For whatever reason, Thad has slipped in recruiting. I know his health hasn't been great the last couple of years so maybe that has something to do with it. But he was always one of the best recruiters in the country, you don't land guys like Oden, Conley, Cook, Sullinger, Russell if you're not. It is really weird.

Yeah, it's really strange. Something is definitely rotten in columbus. You don't have an entire class just up and transfer out. You don't bank years of recruiting around 1 kid that might 1-and-done you.

There's no excusing it and no matter how you slice it, it's Matta's fault. Probably time for him to go.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's really strange. Something is definitely rotten in columbus. You don't have an entire class just up and transfer out. You don't bank years of recruiting around 1 kid that might 1-and-done you.

There's no excusing it and no matter how you slice it, it's Matta's fault. Probably time for him to go.

My guess is that this will probably be his last year. I don't see how they'll keep him assuming they miss the tournament again, which appears likely. Unless he lands a great 2018 recruiting class, but that doesn't seem to be the case as of now. Also, just from the outside looking in, it appears the program has gone stale. I watched a lot of osu games this past season and the arena didn't have the same atmosphere or attendance it has the last decade at osu. Was just something that I noticed. I'm not sure how it is for the people around the program.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is that this will probably be his last year. I don't see how they'll keep him assuming they miss the tournament again, which appears likely. Unless he lands a great 2018 recruiting class, but that doesn't seem to be the case as of now. Also, just from the outside looking in, it appears the program has gone stale. I watched a lot of osu games this past season and the arena didn't have the same atmosphere or attendance it has the last decade at osu. Was just something that I noticed. I'm not sure how it is for the people around the program.

well, when you have a shit team it's hard for the fans to get excited much.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't necessarily disagree with that comment, but it's one that shouldn't be said. He comes off really arrogant and self indulging.

He absolutely comes off as a self-indulging little pud. He's decommitting for now, but OSU's still on his list. So in other words, he might come back if something here catches his eye, but for now he's after the best deal. He's exactly the type of guy I don't want playing for me or with me.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like we're gonna be awful next season too. :L

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you are on a program like Ohio State or any D1 school for athletics (barring injury) why would you quit?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you are on a program like Ohio State or any D1 school for athletics (barring injury) why would you quit?

He was probably going to transfer.

Now he'll probably have to go the JUCO route.