• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

James Michael McAdoo to go pro

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
North Carolina forward James Michael McAdoo will forgo his senior season and enter the NBA draft, it was announced Thursday.

"I just feel I am ready to play at the next level and excited about that challenge," McAdoo said in a statement released by the school. "I had chances to go after my freshman and sophomore years but was more excited about coming back to school then. Right now I am excited about fulfilling my dream to play in the NBA and do what I have to do to take that next step."

He thanked coach Roy Williams and said that he plans to return to UNC to earn his degree "without a doubt."

"I am extremely happy for James Michael, but at the same time I am sad for me because I won't get a chance to coach that youngster again," Williams said. "He's a wonderful kid who has been a very dependable player and one of the top players in the ACC the past two seasons."

The 6-foot-9 McAdoo arrived in Chapel Hill as a potential lottery pick but has slid down draft boards over the past two seasons.

McAdoo averaged 14.2 points and 6.8 rebounds this season and, according to multiple NBA executives, is considered a late first-round pick who could slide into the early part of the second round.

James Michael McAdoo to forgo final year with North Carolina Tar Heels, enter NBA draft - ESPN

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts? He ready for it? Will he have a successful career?

I honestly have no clue since I only have seen him play like twice

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's very athletic, but he has yet to prove that he is an NBA-caliber basketball player.

I think he's going to struggle to find a roster spot.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's very athletic, but he has yet to prove that he is an NBA-caliber basketball player.

I think he's going to struggle to find a roster spot.

Yeah a buddy of mine who is a UNC fan said the same thing. Has the athletic skills but not really the basketball "skills"

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had he left after his freshman year, the consensus was he was a lock to be a lottery pick. But the longer he stayed, the more clear it became he wasn't developing and now he's a fringe player to even get drafted at all. This is why if you're a projected lottery pick, its foolish to go back to college. You are literally costing yourself millions. Worst case scenario is you wash out of the league in 3 years. But you've got the cash so you can use it get your education then or just go overseas to keep getting paid. When you get that lottery projection, there is zero reason to go back to school from a basketball or financial standpoint. If you like college, that's fine, but you aren't really helping yourself.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I am thankful for everything I have been blessed to experience from my relationships with Coach Williams and his staff, to my current and former teammates and to the fact that I am so close to earning my degree from such a great school. Without a doubt I plan to come back and finish my degree. That is important to me."

Does someone who releases a statement like this deserve to come back for his degree? Or am I the only one that thinks that's hard to read because of his lack of punctuation in the first sentence? He's not doing much to help the perception that UNC athletes are stupid.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I am thankful for everything I have been blessed to experience from my relationships with Coach Williams and his staff, to my current and former teammates and to the fact that I am so close to earning my degree from such a great school. Without a doubt I plan to come back and finish my degree. That is important to me."

Does someone who releases a statement like this deserve to come back for his degree? Or am I the only one that thinks that's hard to read because of his lack of punctuation in the first sentence? He's not doing much to help the perception that UNC athletes are stupid.

What you talking about? That's an A+ essay right there by UNC academic standards

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What do you expect.. He probably was the one who wrote that essay on Rosa Parks that got an "A"

It makes you wonder then why is he going now instead of finishing college (one more year) and then going pro. I mean from what I am hearing he isn't gonna do well in the draft anyway. Would staying one more year really hurt him more than he is already right now?

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you expect.. He probably was the one who wrote that essay on Rosa Parks that got an "A"

It makes you wonder then why is he going now instead of finishing college (one more year) and then going pro. I mean from what I am hearing he isn't gonna do well in the draft anyway. Would staying one more year really hurt him more than he is already right now?

I don't know about his life outside of college (I think he's Bob McAdoo's nephew, right?) but I know some guys leave early knowing they might be foregoing bigger money down the road because they (or their family) need money now.

Some of these kids even have a wife and kid(s) of their own. Hard to hold it against of them if they want to provide for their family. (especially sine the NCAA pretty much forbids them from making any money while in school, sports related or not)

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Brice Johnson, your time is now. Need to develop that outside jumper and increase that FT percentage.

With Meeks, James, Johnson, Hubert, Simmons, Hicks, they still have plenty of size with wing players coming in like Jackson and Pinson. Should be preseason top five imo.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think he's ready, personally.

but, maybe this is just to get out of town before UNC gets in more shit over their academics

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always believed that in the end athleticism wins. The kid is an athlete and I think will make it somewhere. His lack of development the last couple yrs is alarming for sure and won't be ignored. We'll see but I have a feeling he'll find his place in the game somewhere.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about his life outside of college (I think he's Bob McAdoo's nephew, right?) but I know some guys leave early knowing they might be foregoing bigger money down the road because they (or their family) need money now.

Some of these kids even have a wife and kid(s) of their own. Hard to hold it against of them if they want to provide for their family. (especially sine the NCAA pretty much forbids them from making any money while in school, sports related or not)

excellent reason to go pro. But I don't think he needs to.. But I could be wrong