• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jaguars released Garrard

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trolls on the other boards have probably shot so much splooge over the idea they can't even read their screens anymore.

Lightyear49er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trolls on the other boards have probably shot so much splooge over the idea they can't even read their screens anymore.

"the other" 49ers message board
1233441656_7f13c6f.gif

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrard to 49ers? Harbaugh liked him 9 years ago (Barrows)

Harbaugh didn't think much of the top two quarterbacks taken that season, David Carr (1st overall) and Joey Harrington (3rd overall), and gave them late-round grades. Harbaugh and the 49ers released Carr sight unseen in July. Conversely, he gave two lightly regarded quarterbacks that year, Tony Romo and David Garrard, early-round grades. Garrard ended up being drafted by Jacksonville in the fourth round; Romo went undrafted.

freaak

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hugh Douglas is ripping Del Rio on ESPNRadio right now, saying Del Rio should be "punched in the face" for lying and being disloyal to Garrard.

Also saying players shouldn't trust Del Rio, basically saying his word means diddly poo.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
GARRARD UPDATE:

9-7-2011...Free-agent quarterback David Garrard continues to weigh his options, agent Al Irby told CSNBayArea.com Thursday morning. Harbaugh declined comment Wednesday when asked if the 49ers were interested in acquiring Garrard, whom the Jacksonville Jaguars released this week. Irby said he is sworn to secrecy regarding which teams have expressed interest.

"We are evaluating each team's situation to determine what's best for David," Irby said. "He has some very good opportunities to consider."

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Garrard: Ready For Whatever's Next

The article provides a lot of detail as to why he was released and...

Regarding his future, this was written:

"Garrard said he will be happy regardless of what he does next. He doesn't know yet if that means playing for another team, although his agent has fielded calls. Seattle was reportedly one of those teams, but Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Wednesday the team would not be adding a quarterback. The San Francisco 49ers were also reported to be an interested team."

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What really sucks is adding a QB so late that teams may not be comfortable in doing so if they expect him to start/play? The opener is tonight! Think teams would really try to reach out to Garrad when they have their own QBs?

It's a blow to Garrad IMO and i don't think he would settle for 3rd stringer roles... maybe a backup?

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I say cut somebody and roll with 4 QBs if we have to. If Alex performs like typical Alex then Garrard is somebody who can get us to the playoffs without rushing Kaep (or Tolzien for the people that actually think he'll do something lol).

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What really sucks is adding a QB so late that teams may not be comfortable in doing so if they expect him to start/play? The opener is tonight! Think teams would really try to reach out to Garrad when they have their own QBs?

It's a blow to Garrad IMO and i don't think he would settle for 3rd stringer roles... maybe a backup?

Yeah, Smith (Jags GM) and Del Rio did no favors for Garrard with the timing of his release. That said, I think he has to be considered a viable starter in some situations, ours included. IMO, Garrard is a better option than Smith, but to your point, can he get better than Smith in our offense in time to help us and who bridges for him - Smith or Kap? No easy decisions with this one.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Smith (Jags GM) and Del Rio did no favors for Garrard with the timing of his release. That said, I think he has to be considered a viable starter in some situations, ours included. IMO, Garrard is a better option than Smith, but to your point, can he get better than Smith in our offense in time to help us and who bridges for him - Smith or Kap? No easy decisions with this one.

Yeah, the timing of it just screams "F...." I'm sure he would've gotten a LOT more looks(probably more attention from us than now) had he been released earlier in August.

And to release him? why not trade and get some value? Oak? Indy? Sea? Dal? NYG? WSH(oh wash would've pulled the trigger i believe)?

Both Smith and Prime have the best knowledge and comfort level with Harbs offense(for the little preseason they practiced) so I think we're good there. If Smith performs well, then great obviously, if not, it's a not a loss if we bring on Prime.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The timing definitely sucks. This isn't Madden, you can't just sign a guy and plug him in and go. The good thing is that he's a 9 year vet and his learning curve should be short enough that he could learn most of the playbook in a month, the problem is that the learning of the playbook stage of practice is over... now the main focus is preparing and scheming for the opponent.

I can't help but think of Troy Smith's limited knowledge of the playbook when the 49ers picked him up just before the season started last year, was it a week? or two?

With all that said though, I'd still like to see the 49ers pick him up. I have no faith in Alex Smith, even though I'll root for him to do well, I just don't think he will. Garrard is easily the best QB available at the moment, and this team needs more than just Alex Smith and two rookies behind center.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The latest:

Garrard received two contract offers?

"Quarterback David Garrard was surprisingly released by the Jacksonville Jaguars Tuesday. His agent, Albert Irby, said that five teams expressed interest in him soon after and two contract offers were expected to arrive by day's end Wednesday, according to NFL.com.

Irby says that now Garrard will see "If the financial parameters and opportunity to play match up, then ... choose a team to visit," the site reports. Otherwise, Garrard will seek a contract from his third team on the list.

The top priority for Garrard, according to Irby, is "the opportunity to play, and play quickly," NFL.com notes."

The above is the entire article, but here is the link just the same. LINK

We should hear some concrete details soon, I would think.

Last edited by a moderator:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest:

Garrard received two contract offers?

"Quarterback David Garrard was surprisingly released by the Jacksonville Jaguars Tuesday. His agent, Albert Irby, said that five teams expressed interest in him soon after and two contract offers were expected to arrive by day's end Wednesday, according to NFL.com.

Irby says that now Garrard will see "If the financial parameters and opportunity to play match up, then ... choose a team to visit," the site reports. Otherwise, Garrard will seek a contract from his third team on the list.

The top priority for Garrard, according to Irby, is "the opportunity to play, and play quickly," NFL.com notes."

The above is the entire article, but here is the link just the same. LINK

We should hear some concrete details soon, I would think.

I'd have to imagine the Colts are one of those teams. They'd be crazy not to pick him up and cut Collins. There is no guarantee that Manning can even come back from his nerve damage injury. Last night on Showtime's Inside the NFL, Lombardi listed around three guys who had to retire from a similar injury.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd have to imagine the Colts are one of those teams. They'd be crazy not to pick him up and cut Collins. There is no guarantee that Manning can even come back from his nerve damage injury. Last night on Showtime's Inside the NFL, Lombardi listed around three guys who had to retire from a similar injury.

I completely agree on all points. I just posted Glazer's opinion on the Manning thread - this is not looking good for Peyton. Earlier this morning Colts owner changed his tune from Peyton being 'out for the opener' to him being 'out for awhile'.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If this was beginning of training camp I would be all in but now this is a tough call.

He would've be an upgrade over Smith if he was in training camp from the get go but now we're past the installation period and the question is how quickly and how much of the playbook he can absorb over the course of the season in order to be effective this year. Not to mention he'll have no repertoire with anybody.

I tend to say ride this year out with Smith and have CK up and ready to go for next season.