• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's begun: Mack Brown to retire

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In today's Austin American-Statesman, the report said Patterson is vetting coaches, and it looks like the list is: Fisher, Briles, Strong then Franklin.

A contact of Briles' said that "if he is offered the job at Texas, he would take it." Briles just signed an extension and has a 4 million buyout. A UT source reportedly said " the buyout is a little daunting", whatever the hell that really means.

Wait, what? I thought Briles would be good because he was recruiting well at Houston then at Baylor.

$4,000,000 Texas has that under Joe Jamail's toupee.

I don't remember which one of you Texas fans told me I was nuts when I said Briles back in September or so. One of you Texas fans specifically said Briles would not be hired because the Texas High School coaches hate him.

That is what I get for believing a Texas poster.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is becoming more entertaining by the day.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, what? I thought Briles would be good because he was recruiting well at Houston then at Baylor.

$4,000,000 Texas has that under Joe Jamail's toupee.

I don't remember which one of you Texas fans told me I was nuts when I said Briles back in September or so. One of you Texas fans specifically said Briles would not be hired because the Texas High School coaches hate him.

That is what I get for believing a Texas poster.

WHAT? Who said that?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of Texas fans said that Briles was a low life scum bag and would never be considered for the job.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said it. There is an old rumor, speculation, tales, maybe a tad truth, who knows, about Briles and his somewhat sneaky style of personality. I do know, whenever you have to play him, you hate him. I do think that whoever comes to Texas, knowing the high school waters of the state is crucial. Does not mean you have to be from here, as Mack proved.

I do know his players play hard for him, and they like him. I dont know how I feel personally about him, but I think he'd give a good chance of winning. He would definitely have to get someone good to handle the defense, but that doesn't make him much different than a lot of coaches.

I know hiring him would be a double-move; it would remove his team as an opponent from the schedule, and it would draw big time offensive talent.

If you look at the first season top 25 SportsHoopla picks, I was one of, if not the only one, to put Baylor in the top 25, and also think I mentioned that you wouldn't want your team, whoever you are, to have them on the schedule this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and a little too rough around the edges, was also mentioned.....

this is, I think, his biggest drawback to some Texas fans/people.

I also think though, that there are many who are tired of being embarrassed and national tv, and want a football coach, not caring about the rough edges. At least , that's what I want.

I will say, however, that one of the things I really liked about Mack, was his ethics. I got mad many times, when he would just run out the clock when I wanted him to bury the opponent...but in the end, he usually did what was right.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of Texas fans said that Briles was a low life scum bag and would never be considered for the job.

I've never read specifics, but just opinions of his ethics. I think some of it has to do with getting Seastrunk from Oregon and flipping Dixon from Tenn.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure it was Charlie that said Briles would never be considered by Texas because of his reputation. The implication was that he was dirty and beneath Texas but I don't think it was actually stated but Charlie can clarify if Im wrong.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I did write that and there were several Longhorns who wrote that. I'm fairly sure Codaxx also wrote that.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Briles just doesn't fit the "Longhorn network" mold.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimbo signed a big extension to keep him at FSU (Sexton wins again) so that is one more off the list.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think the next HC is going to be someone no one is talking about, something out of left field. Think this list is mostly a smokescreen.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that'd shake things up a bit