• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Isaiah Austin being "drafted" is a slap in the face

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks for the guy, but that's life. Him being "drafted" is an insult to all the guys who gave it their all AND remained healthy enough to have a chance at getting legitimately drafted.

Triplexxx23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have some heart you evil SOB...the guy would clearly have been drafted in the nba if it wasn't for his condition.... There was no way he could have prevented that... Talking about guys staying healthy... :L

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin being "drafted" had no negative affect on any other player. He would have been an early 2nd round draft pick had he not had this diagnosis.

-10 on the troll attempt.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the real world people get hurt and sick every day. Often times this leads to serious financial stress for them and their families. They aren't recognized and rewarded. No medals are given out.

Heartless? No. Just telling it like it is. Hell, I even said sucks for him. He isn't special, though. No more than you or I.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks for the guy, but that's life. Him being "drafted" is an insult to all the guys who gave it their all AND remained healthy enough to have a chance at getting legitimately drafted.

How?

Nobody was hurt by this. It isn't like he is taking somebody's spot. The NBA made a very classy move in honoring this young man and you need to get some prospective.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the real world people get hurt and sick every day. Often times this leads to serious financial stress for them and their families. They aren't recognized and rewarded. No medals are given out.

Heartless? No. Just telling it like it is. Hell, I even said sucks for him. He isn't special, though. No more than you or I.

MLB teams have done this in the past. Just last season the Dbacks drafted a local ASU player who was paralyzed while stealing 2nd in a game. It's just a way to pay respect to a player who has worked hard his whole life to realize a dream & because of an unfortunate diagnosis that he had zero control over, he couldn't live out his dream. Unlike in baseball where the teams use actual draft picks, the NBA just "ceremonially" drafted him. It cost no team anything. And it doesn't negatively affect any player

BTW, "in the real world", people get ceremonial awards, certificates, or keys to the city all the time for doing or achieving less than what Austin has done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bucs did it in the NFL with Eric LeGrande and his spot actually counted as a draft pick.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rarely do I give a neg to a post, even when I disagree with them. However it is almost impossible to read this garbage and not give one. Complete trash of a post.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB teams have done this in the past. Just last season the Dbacks drafted a local ASU player who was paralyzed while stealing 2nd in a game. It's just a way to pay respect to a player who has worked hard his whole life to realize a dream & because of an unfortunate diagnosis that he had zero control over, he couldn't live out his dream. Unlike in baseball where the teams use actual draft picks, the NBA just "ceremonially" drafted him. It cost no team anything. And it doesn't negatively affect any player

BTW, "in the real world", people get ceremonial awards, certificates, or keys to the city all the time for doing or achieving less than what Austin has done.

No, they don't.

What has Austin done btw? Play basketball for a free education and contract a disease? Why should he be honored and not my neighbor with terminal cancer who was a Vietnam vet?

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bucs did it in the NFL with Eric LeGrande and his spot actually counted as a draft pick.

I can get behind this. If you want to actually draft the guy then that's fine. It's your pick. Use it however you want. Let the fans decided whether they agree or disagree with their wallet. That's real.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they don't.

What has Austin done btw? Play basketball for a free education and contract a disease? Why should he be honored and not my neighbor with terminal cancer who was a Vietnam vet?

Just because your neighbor deserves to be recognized and has not been, does not make this a bad deal.

I am shocked that anybody could find something negative to say about this. You could not be more off.

By the way, I would say that since the fans all gave Austin a standing O, they were very much behind this ceremonial moment. Stop hating and get a clue.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"remained healthy". He didn't tear an ACL, he has a genetic birth defect. It's amazing that he got to where he is and lived, let alone excelled like he has.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they don't.

:L

Yup, that's what he did. He CAUGHT Marfans. :doh:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at that, we found a topic that unites a Cowboy/Aggie fan with a Skins fan and a Longhorn fan. Holy cow, and a Mavs fan with a Suns fan!

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He would of been drafted in the late 1st rd if this didn't happen.

Question: Is the NBA going to give him any money?

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If any company wants to give those people a plaque or medal or honor, they're more than welcome to.

Pointless thread.

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As mentioned by others on here the NBA doing what they did didn't prevent any other following that gesture from getting drafted

Also, as far as the players who worked and are healthy and had a chance at getting legitimately drafted but did not get drafted, they still have the opportunity to land with an NBA team if they still continue to work hard and make a team.

For Austin he is done. Last night was his 15 minutes of fame. He does not have the opportunity/choice of trying to make it as a free agent on a team.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me just deposit this shit thread in the proper receptacle.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How in the hell can you believe that? This kid has given his life, heart and soul to the sport and had an NBA future snapped away from him. There wasn't a 'chance' of getting drafted, HE WAS DEFINITELY GOING TO BE DRAFTED. I really hope the NBA or one of the teams hire him for some front office experience so that maybe he can have a great career working behind the scenes in a non-athlete type of position.