• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

is this qb strategy "cheating"?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
my brother and i are in a 12 team league together and we talk strategy and things like that. he mentions an idea about taking and stacking qb's.

its a 12 team with qb/rb/rb/wr/wr/te/flex. the thinking is you fill out your starting lineup almost to completion and in no particular order you just take best available. after the "top" qb's go there is usually a long period before the next tier goes rodgers/luck (1) brees/manning/wilson (2) ben/ryan/romo/eli (3) etc. so you go rb/wr/wr/qb/qb. the thinking is that after the 1st tier qb's are off the board the other 10 owners can "wait" fill out their roster and still get a good value qb in say round 5 or 6. this would eliminate that "advantage" in fact if you were in the perfect spot at the draft say at either #1 or #12 you would instantly start a run on qbs for the entire round leaving a few owners at the back end starting the likes of kapernick or falco

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not following you really. ..and from what I am following. .is seems like a ridiculous strategy

What I think I'm hearing is taking a bunch of QB's so that the teams who don't tale Rodgers or Luck are stuck with Flacco. .right? Well #1, one team can't accomplish this alone, #2, any team who tries it is so screwed at all other positions. .who cares what QB the other teams get? They'll get beat at the other five major spots

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah doing it alone wouldn't work but doing it with someone in the draft would take away other qb spots from a team that had yet drafted one.

so it would be something like he takes brees and ben i would come along and take manning and wilson. you wouldn't really be screwing yourself at other positions either since your waiting until your starting lineup is mostly completed. this isn't something you would do out of the gate and go qb/qb. your starting 6 roster spots after you finish your core 4 wr/wr & rb/rb your left with a TE that you can wait on after the big 3 are off the board and a flex spot that can be anyone for the most part.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is called collusion and you would never play in a league with me or most of if not all of the fine folk who post here

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really see the point. You might hurt a few teams but you won't hurt all the teams. Who's to say some team doesn't jump in and get a QB before you are done drafting your core. Then people will see one or two QB's go off the board and start taking a QB. Especially once you both take 4 QB's off the board. I don't think this is a good strategy really. We have had a guy hording 3 QB's in my 16 team keep 6 league. He thinks he's being slick but is always one of the worse teams in the league. If you pulled this in most any league you more than likely would be kicked out or not asked back the following season.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah doing it alone wouldn't work but doing it with someone in the draft would take away other qb spots from a team that had yet drafted one.

so it would be something like he takes brees and ben i would come along and take manning and wilson. you wouldn't really be screwing yourself at other positions either since your waiting until your starting lineup is mostly completed. this isn't something you would do out of the gate and go qb/qb. your starting 6 roster spots after you finish your core 4 wr/wr & rb/rb your left with a TE that you can wait on after the big 3 are off the board and a flex spot that can be anyone for the most part.
If you wait till the other positions are full, youre not keeping Ben, Brees, Manning, Wilson, Ryan or Romo from anyone, they're generally all sprinkled in during the first 6-7 rounds. So you're not really stopping very many teams from getting anyone of any real value, and your screwing yourself on depth. Very bad idea

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't bandit get stuck with a bad QB and still roll through the B league with ease last year?
I thought they had most owners take backups before his starter, and he just continually stocked up RB/WR until he took eli or tannehill

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't bandit get stuck with a bad QB and still roll through the B league with ease last year?
I thought they had most owners take backups before his starter, and he just continually stocked up RB/WR until he took eli or tannehill

no that was me... But I won because my division was weak in the beginning of the season, they all came back, but they were collectively horrible in the beginning... I was the 3 seed in the playoffs, and got lucky to win the championship with some great waiver wire moves... So, it is possible, but you have to do more work than most... But then again, I also had no RBs...

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doing it alone wouldn't work but doing it with someone in the draft
Yeah, that's collusion. However I'm not sure I'd prohibit it because it would be fun to watch it backfire like a $10 pistol.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I thought my strategy of having 2 QB's on my bench waiting for inevitable injuries to happen so I can trade 1 off(and hopefully not need myself) was extreme.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I thought my strategy of having 2 QB's on my bench waiting for inevitable injuries to happen so I can trade 1 off(and hopefully not need myself) was extreme.
In the leagues I've played in it's really tough to get a good trade for a QB. Usually stacking a roster with QBs just leads to no depth and that person's team suffers during by weeks.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if it relates but I stack certain positions in Fantasy Baseball that I know will bring good trade value when needed. There are only so many valuable catcher, shortstops and second basebmen as well as stud SP's. You can get away with rent-a-players in the OF, RP and 1B in my opinion.

So I understand the idea, but not sure if it relates 100%

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if it relates but I stack certain positions in Fantasy Baseball that I know will bring good trade value when needed. There are only so many valuable catcher, shortstops and second basebmen as well as stud SP's. You can get away with rent-a-players in the OF, RP and 1B in my opinion.

So I understand the idea, but not sure if it relates 100%

Same concept, only what the OP was suggesting would be to stockpile a position that isn't valuable in trading.
Which is what happen if you did this by yourself. Bringing in a partner in crime is what makes this cheating, imo.

By doing this, they would create a false market for QBs, in a lame attempt to raise demand at a position that has very low demand once the first 3-4 options are drafted.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the leagues I've played in it's really tough to get a good trade for a QB. Usually stacking a roster with QBs just leads to no depth and that person's team suffers during by weeks.

Most leagues it's tough to get any trades in unless it's a league where everyone is more active like keeper leagues.

But, there were a bunch of auto-drafters in my league and I do auction style, so they all blew their wads elsewhere because of the computer, so I picked them up late for $2 where as they could only afford $1 for their QB1. I only have 1 extra, so if I can trade for a WR2 or RB2, that would be awesome.

Also, I do not draft backups at: TE, DEF or K. I spend $1 on them and I just waiver wire their bye weeks with whoever isn't doing so hot on my bench. So I still have 2 RB's and 2 WR's also on my bench.

I knew there was some risk involved, but hoping it pays off. Worse case is I drop 1 of them to waivers when it comes bye week for my TE/DEF or K.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most leagues it's tough to get any trades in unless it's a league where everyone is more active like keeper leagues.

But, there were a bunch of auto-drafters in my league and I do auction style, so they all blew their wads elsewhere because of the computer, so I picked them up late for $2 where as they could only afford $1 for their QB1. I only have 1 extra, so if I can trade for a WR2 or RB2, that would be awesome.

Also, I do not draft backups at: TE, DEF or K. I spend $1 on them and I just waiver wire their bye weeks with whoever isn't doing so hot on my bench. So I still have 2 RB's and 2 WR's also on my bench.

I knew there was some risk involved, but hoping it pays off. Worse case is I drop 1 of them to waivers when it comes bye week for my TE/DEF or K.
My last draft auto draft spent $157.00 on three picks before I could enter the draft. That really sucked, but my team really isn't to bad. Considering I only had $43 for the next 17 players.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My last draft auto draft spent $157.00 on three picks before I could enter the draft. That really sucked, but my team really isn't to bad. Considering I only had $43 for the next 17 players.

I spend about that on my best 3 players as my strategy. I like to do: 60, 50, 40. 60 for RB1, 50 for WR1 and then 40 for either RB2 or WR2, with pref for a RB2 unless a good WR2 is available.

But, I see with the auto pickers, they usually end up spending too much on the 1st 2 and still spend the same total for for the top3. 65+ for RB's etc. So I end up with better top3's overall.

This year however I did not get to follow that and I'm hoping I don't get screwed. Had 7 autopickers and they were all spending 65+ for RB's and such like I said, so I ended up spending way less for my top3 because that's just too much. So I ended up with Murray, and who knows how many touches he will get in Philly for RB1. I did manage to pluck Julio for my WR1, but then I went away from my normal strategy and took luck for my QB1. I was well under the $150 average. I ended up spending money on my bench, which I normally never do. So I took some risk with an extra QB.

Team doesn't look too bad because I went against so many autopickers, but it's not what I normally roll with. If it works, maybe I'll learn something new.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auto drafters - that's something that has kept me away from auction leagues.
Even when trying to mock, the guys on auto skew the results.

If you don't have the time to draft your own team, you don't have room for me in your league.
I understand exceptions, but not 7 of them.
your bench will always be stacked, since you can nominate guys you don't want, and the auto drafters will spend all their money on them.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auto drafters - that's something that has kept me away from auction leagues.
Even when trying to mock, the guys on auto skew the results.

If you don't have the time to draft your own team, you don't have room for me in your league.
I understand exceptions, but not 7 of them.
your bench will always be stacked, since you can nominate guys you don't want, and the auto drafters will spend all their money on them.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^