• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is the DudeofWV legit?

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<--------Sweating bullets right now.

Dudes, I am not sure about being in a Texas centered conference. Would prefer northern play.

For once, I thank GOD we are in the center of "desirable" Atlanta market.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Whoever makes the decision to move seems a lot like Beamer. Reactive rather than proactive. Content with the status quo rather than reaching for greater heights. VT needs to get out now or watch as the gap between the elite and VT separates further. VT would become the new Boise St except worse because they wouldn't be winning their 1 tough game a year

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Beamer pretty much got the job done going from the Big East to the ACC, and the math on this one is perhaps even more obvious.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Atlanta is your key. They draw more than Miami or New Orleans for bowl games a lot of years and the "home team effect" is going to help.

The Orange Bowl is pretty much dead....

I don't see how any town has anything on New Orleans. That town rocks for bowl games.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
That's pretty bogus, given the amount of money the ACC gets for bowl appearances.

The expenses should come off the top, before any payouts are calculated, INCLUDING any tickets that must be purchased in accordance with the deal. No reason the school should be penalized for going to a bowl game, or hounded in the press for not selling the endzone nosebleeds.

I agree with this ^ but it wouldnt even be a problem if you could purchase tickets as early and cheaply from the VT ticket office as you can from the secondary market. Im not sure if that is a VT problem or a problem with the way the tickets are distributed but either way it hurts VT not only financially but if you look at numbers only (which a lot of people do) it makes it seem that VT doenst travel to these bowls.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with this ^ but it wouldnt even be a problem if you could purchase tickets as early and cheaply from the VT ticket office as you can from the secondary market. Im not sure if that is a VT problem or a problem with the way the tickets are distributed but either way it hurts VT not only financially but if you look at numbers only (which a lot of people do) it makes it seem that VT doenst travel to these bowls.

The problem last year was that it was on the Tuesday after New Year's.

There were still a lot of people there, but it's hard to compare that to a weekend, or even the week before when more people found it easier to take days off.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Atlanta is your key. They draw more than Miami or New Orleans for bowl games a lot of years and the "home team effect" is going to help.

The Orange Bowl is pretty much dead....

I think the orange, cotton, and a few others may still make it off of the non "playoff" teams.

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously the ACC is where VT wants to be. I know it is still early on in this, but I would think that the leadership (Weaver and Beams) is not naive enough to think that the ACC is the best place for VT even if/when any of the other big football schools jump ship, namely Clemson, FSU, and Miami. I like Dawgs theory on the handshake agreement between Florida, UGA, and USC-e and I don't doubt that at all. That doesn't mean one of these ACC schools wouldn't sneak into the SEC. I do think that VT, UVA, UNC, and NCST would be bigger targets for the SEC.

It's no theory. It's da truf...

also Mike Slive has even said it won't happen.

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all about academics...

Though, if they move to the B1G, I do expect them to apply for and be granted AAU status.

Why would their athletic conference affiliation have any bearing on AAU status?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Virginia Tech is committed to grow as a major research institution. Achieving this goal and eventual recognition as a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU) requires the commitment to grow both our sponsored research activities and other indicators reflective of excellence in research scholarship across a broad spectrum of disciplines.

Six-Year Plan: Academic Plan | Higher Education Restructuring | Virginia Tech

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Virginia Tech is committed to grow as a major research institution. Achieving this goal and eventual recognition as a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU) requires the commitment to grow both our sponsored research activities and other indicators reflective of excellence in research scholarship across a broad spectrum of disciplines.

Six-Year Plan: Academic Plan | Higher Education Restructuring | Virginia Tech

Does that require staying in the sorry ass ACC? I hope not

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A little side note to this whole story may be how recruits respond for this recruiting cycle. If Clemson and FSU bolt now and VT doesnt move quickly i think we could lose some traction with recruits and possibly have a decommit or 3. FWIW i really dont think VT will get left out but i do wonder how fast we will be to move.

Oh yeah I forgot but if anyone's been reading the free interviews with the 2012 class on Rivals then you've probably noticed how several players are excited about playing against Sammy Watkins. If Clemson, FSU and others leave then I think recruiting takes a major hit.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh yeah I forgot but if anyone's been reading the free interviews with the 2012 class on Rivals then you've probably noticed how several players are excited about playing against Sammy Watkins. If Clemson, FSU and others leave then I think recruiting takes a major hit.

Flip side: a move to one of the Big 4 would guarantee matchups against a half dozen superpowers every year, plus one from the other conferences at the end of the year. HUGE recruiting boost.

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Someone might be looking forward to playing against someone but I really dont think that going against one specific player is that big of a factor in choosing a school.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I think the odds are pretty high that VT lands in one of the four power conferences.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will land in one and we will be able to sell recruits on playing:

Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska

or

Florida, Alabama, LSU, Georgia

or

Texas, FSU, Clemson, Oklahoma

This move to superconferences is going to balance out recruiting a lot as well.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Someone might be looking forward to playing against someone but I really dont think that going against one specific player is that big of a factor in choosing a school.

I'm going to have to disagree. I think that many players go to the SEC to play against the best. The high rated players out of high school usually have big egos and a big competitive streak.