• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is the DudeofWV legit?

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is an article from 2010 when Urban was still at Florida....

Gators have lots of wins – and way too many arrests

QUOTE:

Fifty-nine wins. Two national titles. Thirty players arrested.

That's the line on Meyer's five-plus years at Florida. Most fans at most programs would take those numbers, because winning is all they care about. So a kid gets in trouble? So what? What's his backup run the 40 in?

Just off the top of my head, I don't believe Tech's had half that number arrested over the past five-plus years.

Not my point. My point is that the school is not responsible... All they can do is set a standard of heavy discipline AFTER criminal acts take place. Quantity means little, reaction means much more.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine more than a few of those guys had serious character deficiencies in high school, and Urban&co knew that. All schools have arrests. That comes with the territory, but 50+ arrests in 5 years means you aren't doing what is necessary to prevent people from embarrassing your program. At least we know the police in Gainesville aren't turning their heads to football players like in other parts of the SEC though.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not my point. My point is that the school is not responsible... All they can do is set a standard of heavy discipline AFTER criminal acts take place. Quantity means little, reaction means much more.

I guess I have a different take on this.

All schools are responsible for providing the kind of character-building and guidance necessary to prepare young men for life after college. University rules and guidelines are designed to discourage illegal and criminal activity by letting students know what can happen if they screw up. Football programs provide another layer of discipline for bad conduct.

And yes, the number of arrests can tell you something about the state of a football program. The greater the number of arrests, the less discipline is being instilled in the program. That becomes a major issue over time. As the number of arrests grow, so do other problems. The problem with a number of major programs is that their discipline is applied inconsistently with big stars getting off lightly. That creates resentment among the other players when they get hammered for the same offenses.

As far as how schools react, I've seen some schools over react and make some pretty bad decisions in regards to suspensions and dismissals. On the other hand, I've seen some schools take no action at all which tends to encourage those players to continue to act badly. There's a happy medium based on due process....gathering facts, asking questions of the parties concerned, and then taking action based on a graduated response...three strikes and you're out.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Been out of town for a few days and now im workn on some spread sheets and stuff. Could somebody catch me up to date on the last 6-7 pages or so of this thread?

Has it been determined whether or not expansion is going to take place?

What is our status?

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been out of town for a few days and now im workn on some spread sheets and stuff. Could somebody catch me up to date on the last 6-7 pages or so of this thread?

Has it been determined whether or not expansion is going to take place?

What is our status?

This about sums it up....

scenariofiveanarchy.jpg

Oh wait....that was last year....

Last edited by a moderator:

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dude is on twitter stirring the pot again....

The Dude of WV ‏@theDudeofWV
According to sources at WVU FSU has made the decision to leave the ACC if the Big 12 offers.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would a source within the newest member of a conference know any of this shit.

DWV is a jokester, like his fanbase and team.

He's been preaching the Big12 dollar figures for months now. I guess he's assuming FSU will jump. According to Dude, FSU and Loserville will be the next two Big12 members.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The speculation will not end until the teams actually move (even if they dont move for 15 years) and then there will be new speculations.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn't any real need to move conferences yet. Not till 2014 athletic season. That's when new playoff, bowl shuffling, tv contracts etc really become majorly different. We know the big 12 is going back to 12 (at least 12) and it just depends on which teams join FSU. And i definitely see FSU leaving. Could be between 12 and upwards of16 before all said and done. I like the idea of how they want to have the rivalries be big 12-SEC matchups. FSU-UF, Clemson-USCe, Louisville-uk, Texas am-Texas, definitely been talk of GT-UGA assuming GT were to have moved, and then there has obviously been speculation that the VT-wvu rivalry would be born again through this. Would be great for all involved. More meaning to rivalries, and both conferences are going to be very rich as time goes along. See champions bowl, places in playoff, networks, etc.