• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Texas delusional?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Texas makes the most $$ out of ANY program, right? So, that and a huge fan and recruiting base makes it extremely attractive.

Still, the OP's list shows guys who have it made already...without having to rebuild what some old fart let slide too long.
UT needs a young guy who can start over and build a legacy. That's why UF was hoping with Muschamp....but....well....you know.

Yeah, but the old heads that run this place aren't thinking like that.

They want an experienced winner, not a young up and comer. Thats why they'll look at current HCs first, and not hot assistants. I've never seen ONE list that didn't have 100% current winning HCs......although this is the first one I've seen with Les Miles name on it.

It's not just the money either. Austin has been a top 10 city in the nation according to Forbes for most of the last decade. Great weather, great place to live. Top coin. Facilities to rival any in the country. Easy to recruit with a state full of talent and HS coaches begging to send kids there.

Like I said, that's hard to turn down. We'll see what happens, since technically Mack Brown is still the HC.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here go the Texas fans with their nonsense.
While they go after great coaches that will tell them no, they'll be looking down their noses at the guys that will bring them back.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you would have been fine saying all of college, but to throw pro in there is a little odd. I don't see anyone leaving an NFL headcoaching job for Texas unless they are fired or on the hot seat.

It's not that odd, really b/c it's happened before a few times. I would think a pro coach would leave for a program like Texas in a heartbeat. You don't have to worry about putting up with overpaid player's attitudes, especially when it's a "Me" league in the NFL, you don't have to worry about a salary cap and you can have complete control on the collegiate level. We'll see what happens, I'm really curious to see who Patterson hires.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Juice, I wouldn't mind getting Muschamp to coach the defense again. Head coach, no fucking way, but as DC, most definitely. Former assistants just do not make good head coaches sometimes.

That's just it...HC is about management more than it is about football...but football too.

Zook was thee awesome recruiter and manager...players and alums loved his way. Why didn't he just stay home on Saturdays?! Meyer was a terrible manager...turrible...but excellent on game day.

Obviously, Muschamp is over his head and needs to stick to the football side of the job for awhile longer.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches from the NFL go to college all the time.
It is not absurd and actually quite common.

I wonder where Nick Saban's last gig was before he got to Alabama??

Heck, the Virginia Cavaliers managed to pry away an NFL head coach.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not that odd, really b/c it's happened before a few times. I would think a pro coach would leave for a program like Texas in a heartbeat. You don't have to worry about putting up with overpaid player's attitudes, especially when it's a "Me" league in the NFL, you don't have to worry about a salary cap and you can have complete control on the collegiate level. We'll see what happens, I'm really curious to see who Patterson hires.

I can see the draw, but I don't see it happening. I don't see someone who is winning or making the playoffs in the NFL leaving for Texas. I could be wrong, just don't think I am.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here go the Texas fans with their nonsense.
While they go after great coaches that will tell them no, they'll be looking down their noses at the guys that will bring them back.

Theres some truth to this, but the fans aren't calling the shots. We're telling you what will most likely happen with the guys running Texas.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see the draw, but I don't see it happening. I don't see someone who is winning or making the playoffs in the NFL leaving for Texas. I could be wrong, just don't think I am.

I think Mike Tomlin can be persuaded......but I don't think he'll make a great collegiate coach.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Saban was failing at the NFL level. Same with Spurrier. Same with a lot of coaches that went from college back to the NFL. that is why I added my part about failing or being on the hotseat. A successful NFL HC isn't leaving the NFL for college

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another note, I am thoroughly enjoying the Mack to Nebraska rumor circulating around today..

rcNrT.gif

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, you'd attract better talent if y'all disowned this pheg:

matthew_mcconaughey_hookemhorns.jpg

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
struggling NFL coaches go to college, but you are right , it happens. Texas will have no problem finding an elite coach for the Horns though.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The guy I'm about to quote talks out of his ass a lot so take that for what it's worth. Jim Mora said he would walk away from the Falcons to coach UW before we hired Sark. Atlanta was in the playoffs.

It's not hard for me to imagine a winning coach in the NFL wanting the Texas job.

I pretty much agree with Texas fans in this instance. Texas is the best job in college football, and a better job than most of the NFL as well.

Top 10 HC football jobs cfb, nfl whatever:

1. Green Bay Packers
2. University of Texas
3. New England Patriots

More...
From NFL to college, ranking the 10 best head-coaching jobs in football - college football - ESPN

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am curious as to what kind of cash Texas is going to drop down. Do you think Saban would go to Texas for $10 million a year? Sounds crazy but Tejas can throw down that kinda cash in a heart beat. Money isn't an issue for Texas.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen lots of pompom waving in here by Texas fans about how great a job the Texas job is and in all of those lists, not one has mentioned one of the things that a coach will be looking at when he decides to make a jump, Stability among the boosters and school.

From the outside looking in with friends among the boosters at Texas, i know that the infighting going on among the boosters, the governor and the board of regents, that this job is not a stable job currently for any HC including the current one.

Its no wonder Mack is so troubled right now with all the bitchy, whiny fans and boosters and the administration going head to head about his termination/firing/forced retirement. And while some of the names look to be solid ones, I know that the age of Mack has been a concern and the facts of the matter is two of the names on that list are very similar in age. Saban is 2 months younger than Mack and Miles is two years younger. Seems that if I was making a change for the future of a program, i would be looking to a younger coach with a good pedigree, maybe in FCS or lower tier FBS, not one of the proven commodities that could be on their last days of coaching themselves.

Lets here from the cheering section of the greatest job in all of college football on this. Please tell us how warring factions makes this a better job that say an Alabama or tOSU or Michigan, who are all equally excellent jobs in the MINDS OF THEIR FANS TOO.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't be this delusional. Being the head football coach at the University of Texas is the premier job in all of football, be it college or pro. Money is never an issue, facilities are amazing, never have to leave your state to recruit as you are sitting in rich fertile recruiting grounds, amazing alumni/fan/student base, Austin is a badass city, rich history and winning tradition, etc, etc. Alabama has the same aspects, except Bama has to rely on talent from outside their state in order to be relevant, at Texas, the head coach doesn't have that problem. Mack Brown is still the only coach to win a BCS title where all 22 starters were all from the same state.

Shall we review the recruiting rankings of Alabama over the past 4-5 years?

Going out of state is hardly an issue for them. Oh nooooo, they have to take a private jet two, sometimes 3 states over!! What a hassle!! How crippling!!

Rivals recruiting rankings for Bama since '08:

2008: 1st
2009: 1st
2010: 5th
2011: 1st
2012: 1st
2013: 1st
2014: currently 1st.

Only one year did Texas have a better class.

And the premier job in ALL of football??? My god man, you truly are delusional.

It's a great job, but it's so difficult to take you seriously when you use this kind of arrogant delusional hyperbole.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
images

No need for a major airport when you see this landing at HS games.
images

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, the NFL head coach was also an alum of UVa.

Saban was struggling in Miami, that is why he left the NFL, because he just wasn't a good NFL coach and he realized it. Same can be said for Steve Spurrier. Great coach at Florida, shitty coach in Washington, great in South Carolina.

Last edited by a moderator: