• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Texas delusional?

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their top 5 candidates are:
Nick Saban
Jim Harbaugh
Jimbo Fisher
Gus Malzahn
Les Miles

Why would any of the names listed want to leave their current position, especially the top 4? Miles has a daughter at Texas, so I can see that one a bit, but the others is just insane.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Saban
Jim Harbaugh
Jimbo Fisher
Gus Malzahn
Les Miles

Why would any of the names listed want to leave their current position, especially the top 4? Miles has a daughter at Texas, so I can see that one a bit, but the others is just insane.
-
If you are Texas why would you not call and ask?

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer the question, yes.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Saban
Jim Harbaugh
Jimbo Fisher
Gus Malzahn
Les Miles

One, what makes you think these are their top candidates?

Second, why WOULDN"T they go after every name on this list? It doesn't matter if those guys want to leave.......you have to MAKE THEM turn you down.

Texas is legitimately one of the top jobs in all of FOOTBALL, college or pro. Make the offer......if they turn you down, move on......but never ASSUME they won't listen and make a change.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently, the highest paid college football coach is making something like $6 mil a year in salary. Texas is profitable enough as a program (They are the most profitable in all of college football I think) to potentially pay their head coach $15 mil/year, more than double the current max.

If Texas IS willing to pay in that ballpark, I think most coaches would at least consider switching.

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With what texas offers for a recruiting base they would be dumb not to try for one of those listed. The worse that can happen is they get turned down and the best is they get a dam good coach.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My info is straight from 247.
that is fine. More schools should do this. People are so afraid of being spurned they settle. You might as well try to bet the best coaches. By the way, Miles? I have never heard that name mentioned. Nor do I wish to hear it again.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, it's a press release. That's like when a movie star's promo firm says they were paid 50 million for doing some movie. Suuuuurrrreee!

There's a real list. The list of those who called back looks like this:

1.) Muschump

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another note, I am thoroughly enjoying the Mack to Nebraska rumor circulating around today..

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My info is straight from 247.

They aren't infallible, and unless they got that list from Patterson himself, I highly doubt it's accurate.

Regardless.....how is it delusional to go after the best coaches in the land for arguably the best job in the land?

It's one thing to speculate......but when a job is staring you in the face......when you are being offered top dollar......top 5 city to live in.......top end facilities at a world class institution......top 3 recruiting bed in the nation.......tradition rich legacy program......and ALL the money in the world - thats hard to simply turn down because you already have a good thing going.

Like I said......when you have that kind of job to offer, you MAKE people turn you down.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, it's a press release. That's like when a movie star's promo firm says they were paid 50 million for doing some movie. Suuuuurrrreee!

There's a real list. The list of those who called back looks like this:

1.) Muschump

2.) Fickell

ArrogantBAMAFan

Built by BAMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One, what makes you think these are their top candidates?

Second, why WOULDN"T they go after every name on this list? It doesn't matter if those guys want to leave.......you have to MAKE THEM turn you down.

Texas is legitimately one of the top jobs in all of FOOTBALL, college or pro. Make the offer......if they turn you down, move on......but never ASSUME they won't listen and make a change.

:laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Texas makes the most $$ out of ANY program, right? So, that and a huge fan and recruiting base makes it extremely attractive.

Still, the OP's list shows guys who have it made already...without having to rebuild what some old fart let slide too long.
UT needs a young guy who can start over and build a legacy. That's why UF was hoping with Muschamp....but....well....you know.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can't be this delusional. Being the head football coach at the University of Texas is the premier job in all of football, be it college or pro. Money is never an issue, facilities are amazing, never have to leave your state to recruit as you are sitting in rich fertile recruiting grounds, amazing alumni/fan/student base, Austin is a badass city, rich history and winning tradition, etc, etc. Alabama has the same aspects, except Bama has to rely on talent from outside their state in order to be relevant, at Texas, the head coach doesn't have that problem. Mack Brown is still the only coach to win a BCS title where all 22 starters were all from the same state.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jokes on you. If you can't see why Texas is considered by MANY to be the best job hands down, you aren't paying attention.

I think you would have been fine saying all of college, but to throw pro in there is a little odd. I don't see anyone leaving an NFL headcoaching job for Texas unless they are fired or on the hot seat.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Texas makes the most $$ out of ANY program, right? So, that and a huge fan and recruiting base makes it extremely attractive.

Still, the OP's list shows guys who have it made already...without having to rebuild what some old fart let slide too long.
UT needs a young guy who can start over and build a legacy. That's why UF was hoping with Muschamp....but....well....you know.

Juice, I wouldn't mind getting Muschamp to coach the defense again. Head coach, no fucking way, but as DC, most definitely. Former assistants just do not make good head coaches sometimes.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas is not arguably the top job. It is the TOP JOB.
Hate on Texas football all you want. This is not about the football on the field.
That is a reflection of Mack Brown's job performance. That is not a reflection of the job.
But the job is unrivaled.

Texas can pay a coach twice as much an anyone else.
Texas can pay coaches assistants like HC which helps attract great staffs.
This comes with NO STATE INCOME TAX further increasing the value from 7-15%.
The facilities are almost unmatched.
The tradition is top 10.
The recruiting base is unparalled.

That is just the job itself.

The city of AUSTIN is considered one of the crown jewels of "life quality".
It doesn't make all those BEST PLACES to LIVE lists for no reason whatsoever.
Warm weather, small town community with Big City amenities....wrapped in a booming economy that matches Conservative Fiscal ideas with Liberal Social ideas...
Some coaches don't want to live in some flyspeck backwater small redneck town.
They like having a major airport, fortune 500 companies, major law firms, teaching hospitals, public museums, established public transportation, rotating entertainment visits from top acts, established fine arts....etc etc....
But, Austin does not swallow you up either. Texas is still the #1 attraction in town. It doesn't have to worry about Kobe Bryant and the Lakers moving them to the back burner.
Only Columbus, OH and Austin, Texas are unique like that.....

Texas is not in the slightest bit delusional.
They probably have all the bigger NFL names on the list as well.