• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Nebraska having buyers remorse?

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found some quotes from that article by the Omaha World Herald:

Nebraska shared a lot of history with Big 12 schools. Plus, when you get right down to it, Perlman says, Nebraska had no major beefs with the way the Big 12 was run.

Sure, Husker football fans had screamed robbery just 10 days earlier when a second was put back on the clock, allowing Texas to beat Nebraska for the Big 12 title.

Osborne also personally had some longtime concerns about the Texas-centric nature of the Big 12 and the natural advantages of its Sunbelt schools. It certainly wasn’t the same as the old Big Eight, the league in which the legendary coach toiled for decades before it absorbed Texas and three other Southwest Conference schools in the mid-1990s.

Osborne had opposed the relocation of the conference offices from Kansas City to Dallas. He also fought anchoring the conference title game in Dallas, preferring it move between cities in the north and the south.

But Perlman didn’t really share those geographic concerns. In fact, he actually would end up voting to play the title game in Dallas for the next several years. “I wasn’t prepared to sit in Kansas City in the cold,” Perlman said.

And on the issues of greatest import, “Nebraska was getting largely what it wanted,” Perlman said.

While some schools complained about the league’s unequal distribution of revenue from network TV contracts, Nebraska wasn’t among them. It joined Texas as a strong proponent of giving big-time football schools — those most appealing to the networks — a bigger slice of the pie.

Plus, Perlman said, the Big 12 had just recently completed important conversations about whether to form its own TV network for secondary sports programming, akin to the Big Ten’s.

While many have blamed Texas and its plans to start its own Longhorn TV network as the reason a Big 12 network never got off the ground, Nebraska wasn’t on board with a conference network, either. Nebraska’s support was conditional on the high-profile schools taking a larger cut of that revenue, too — a condition some schools strongly opposed.

As a result of those talks, Nebraska, like Texas, was now moving to create its own network. A consultant’s study had concluded that a Husker network would succeed and bring in seven-figure revenue on top of what Nebraska was getting from major network telecasts.

Perlman said NU was on track to have its network running by the fall of 2011 — actually ahead of Texas’ timetable.

—————————————————-

While declaring that they had no Big Ten offer, Osborne and Perlman say they never disclosed they’d met with the Big Ten, nor were they asked about it. “I was never cross-examined,” Perlman said.

—————————————————-

Powers made it clear that if Nebraska stayed, Texas would stay.

Other than Colorado, the other schools being courted by the Pac-10 indicated they’d stay if Texas stayed.

“What’s Nebraska going to do?” became the meeting’s constant refrain, Perlman said.

You can clearly see why the whole article has been deleted.

So Nebraska is supposed to just take Texas' word for it? The fact that they were even talking about people moving shows the instability of the Big XII. Nebraska wanted stability. We moved to the Big Ten. The better question is, why do you care? We are pretty happy in the Big Ten, and according to most of the Longhorn fans, Nebraska isn't a great program anyways. So why get worked up about it?

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It had all moved so quickly. Over a span of just 12 days, Nebraska had gone from its first serious meeting with the Big Ten to tacit conference membership.

Still, Perlman wouldn't feel secure until it was all official. In the next five hectic days, he engaged with the Board of Regents, sneaked away to Chicago to work out some business details with Delany, and prepared the remarks he would deliver Friday to the board and the outside world.

Delany made a late decision to fly to Lincoln. So at 2 p.m. Friday, as the Regents voted unanimously to make application to the Big Ten, Delany was sitting in a suite at the Embassy Suites in downtown Lincoln, watching on TV and working the phones.

At 4 p.m., the Big Ten presidents met in teleconference and soon accepted Nebraska's bid.

“Welcome to the Big Ten,'' Delany told Osborne as they met for a 5 p.m. press conference. Perlman put on a Big Ten lapel pin. Delany sported a Big Red “N'' on his jacket.

Perlman was elated. He thought the day would prove a landmark in the history of both the university and the state. And he was both relieved and happy days later when the remaining Big 12 schools stayed together.

Now weeks later, Delany says he continues to be amazed at the near-universal plaudits for the move and the excitement it still generates.

Even as college football prepares to kick off the 2010 season — Nebraska's last in the Big 12 — fans already are talking about future matchups between the Huskers and other traditional titans like Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan.

Looking back, Delany said, there's a lot of serendipity in how it all came together.

“It wasn't predicted,'' he said. “It just worked.''

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas fans want everyone to think that they were just passive recipients of interest by other conferences.

They weren't.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Nebraska is supposed to just take Texas' word for it? The fact that they were even talking about people moving shows the instability of the Big XII. Nebraska wanted stability. We moved to the Big Ten. The better question is, why do you care? We are pretty happy in the Big Ten, and according to most of the Longhorn fans, Nebraska isn't a great program anyways. So why get worked up about it?

Because almost every Husker blames Texas for leaving the Big 12 and it isn't true.
Huskers left for money which isn't bad, but blaming another school for the move is wrong.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because almost every Husker blames Texas for leaving the Big 12 and it isn't true.
Huskers left for money which isn't bad, but blaming another school for the move is wrong.

Cry me a river. Again, why do you care who gets blamed? Did the poor wittle Longhorns fan get his feelings hurt on the internet?

And you are still missing the point if you think it was only about money. Money's nice, but stability is more important in the long term.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas fans want everyone to think that they were just passive recipients of interest by other conferences.

They weren't.

The worst thing that DeLoss Dodds did was state that Texas would be proactive in conference realignments. Dumbest move ever. I never wanted Texas to leave the Big 12 and most Longhorns agree with me. I'm glad that he's will retire and isn't making any more dumbass statements.

It's obvious that Delany used Texas and Missouri to get Nebraska. Osborne used propaganda, emotions and hatred of Texas, instead of logic, to justify the move to the Big Ten. Nebraska did it for money and I don't find anything wrong with that.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cry me a river. Again, why do you care who gets blamed? Did the poor wittle Longhorns fan get his feelings hurt on the internet?

And you are still missing the point if you think it was only about money. Money's nice, but stability is more important in the long term.

And you are ignoring the fact that Nebraska caused the instability, but it didn't kill the Big 12. It continues to be a viable conference.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you are ignoring the fact that Nebraska caused the instability, but it didn't kill the Big 12. It continues to be a viable conference.

:laugh3: Did you miss this quote from your article?

It had all moved so quickly. Over a span of just 12 days, Nebraska had gone from its first serious meeting with the Big Ten to tacit conference membership.

Of course there were talks prior to this, but you think Texas was sitting at home doing nothing at that time? Everyone was looking for options, because conference realignment was on the horizon and everyone needed to ensure that when it happened, they had a place to fall. Nebraska left BECAUSE of instability, instability that did NOT begin in Lincoln.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's just it, WE DON'T FUCKING CARE! Are you new to this board? We only respond when your fan base starts trolling and brings this shit up. Hell, I'm perfectly fine not talking about or bashing Nebraska if your trolls would move on....

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I will give NU credit for, at least they didn't whore themselves out to other conferences the way MIZZOU did. Fucking pathetic.....

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just it, WE DON'T FUCKING CARE! Are you new to this board? We only respond when your fan base starts trolling and brings this shit up. Hell, I'm perfectly fine not talking about or bashing Nebraska if your trolls would move on....

Went back up to check...and yep, this thread was not started by a Nebraska fan. I continued to review the posts, which were mostly about revenue and recruiting in the B1G, until I came across this gem:

HuskerinBig10 used to bitch & complain about the Big 12 HQ being in Dallas & how the Big 12 CCG was going to be held at Jerry World for the next 5 years before NU picked up their skirts and fled to the B1G. Dude has to be having a stroke by now seeing how the B1G HQ will be in NYC & the B1G CCG will be even further from Lincoln. He blamed Texas for all of that, wonder who he'll blame this time?

Now who was bringing this whole argument up again?

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The wrong in America is related to Husker fans that can't admit that they left the Big 12 for money. I have no problem with that, but blaming Texas is total BS. It's similar to shit head Republicans blaming the government for not responding to disasters while voting to reduce the budget and giving rich assholes tax breaks. smh

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...Nebraska left BECAUSE of instability, instability that did NOT begin in Lincoln.

Get a fucking grip on reality. Delany started this shit in Dec. and Perlman ran to Delany in January. So, you are right it didn't start in Lincoln, but Nebraska was always involved. Blaming Texas when Nebraska left for the Big Ten is a distraction and it doesn't work, except as amusement for the peanut eating gallery members.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get a fucking grip on reality. Delany started this shit in Dec. and Perlman ran to Delany in January. So, you are right it didn't start in Lincoln, but Nebraska was always involved. Blaming Texas when Nebraska left for the Big Ten is a distraction and it doesn't work, except as amusement for the peanut eating gallery members.

Did you even read the article that you were quoting? Perlman went to Delany because he got word that the Big XII was about to be picked apart. Turns out it was a good tip...Texas and friends were looking to move west. However, at that time, all of it was just talks. Nothing official, nothing even resembling a plan. That came later when Perlman did not feel comfortable with the way the Big XII meetings went, which were regarding the instability in the league.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you even read the article that you were quoting? Perlman went to Delany because he got word that the Big XII was about to be picked apart. Turns out it was a good tip...Texas and friends were looking to move west. However, at that time, all of it was just talks. Nothing official, nothing even resembling a plan. That came later when Perlman did not feel comfortable with the way the Big XII meetings went, which were regarding the instability in the league.

Instabilty = Nebraska and Perlman.

:lol:

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of the conference switching by so many schools, including mine, all looking for that "better fit" (translate, bigger paycheck) is coming home to roost. Traditional rivalries thrown away, fans ignored, integrity compromised, and the promised pot of gold proves as illusive as in the fairy tales.

It's kind of like the fellow who deserts his faithful, but boring wife to marry his mistress. Then he is shocked that she's already whoring with someone else before the ink on the wedding certificate is even dry.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of the conference switching by so many schools, including mine, all looking for that "better fit" (translate, bigger paycheck) is coming home to roost. Traditional rivalries thrown away, fans ignored, integrity compromised, and the promised pot of gold proves as illusive as in the fairy tales.

It's kind of like the fellow who deserts his faithful, but boring wife to marry his mistress. Then he is shocked that she's already whoring with someone else before the ink on the wedding certificate is even dry.

I don't know, I think MIZZOU doesn't mind being in the SEC. They were getting the shit kicked out of them in the Big 12 for so long and it even took 11 years before the Tigers played in their 1st Big 12 CCG and they almost win the SEC in their 2nd year.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, I think MIZZOU doesn't mind being in the SEC. They were getting the shit kicked out of them in the Big 12 for so long and it even took 11 years before the Tigers played in their 1st Big 12 CCG and they almost win the SEC in their 2nd year.

QUIET!

The SEC wants you to believe that the Earth stands still for a second when they enter the field. Suddenly, two middle of the road Big 12 teams join, and start acting like world beaters.:omg:

Maybe the SEC isn't as good as they think, ya think?:wtf2: