• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Is Marshawn Lynch a Hall of Fame Running Back?

Choose Two!

• Yes

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 74 71.8%
  • I'm just here so I won't get banned.

Votes: 30 29.1%

• Total voters

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Seattle would have just given him the ball they would have all had one more Super Bowl ring, and that's the fact Jack.
Crazy possibility that costs him the HOF too. Second SB, Everlasting Image of him scoring the last second game winning TD in people's minds,etc.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been a Seahawk fan since they came into existence. Not a lot of ups till recently. But yeah, the rhetoric that we're all bandwagon johnny come lately's kinda' pushes my buttons.
So you were the one!!! :thumb:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which one doesn't belong?

Ummm, let me see...

The one who's a liar, a cheater and I fear may be bi? :noidea:
I'm calling bull shit. You have to at least attempt to be fair. That is a bold face lie. He isn't "bi", he's clearly 100% gay...

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say WR is just a bit different than RB though when comparing yards. I mean with the WR position you have so many different types of WR's. Now given I understand some RB's are speedsters that get to the edge where others pound it up the middle but all RB's are still required to run it up the middle the majority of the time. Where with WR's they can have certain routes they run a majority of the time with those with great speed being the deep threat. A great example was the 2012 Ravens. They had Torrey Smith a guy with incredible speed that they used as their deep threat where they had Bolden who was a possession receiver and was used on the shorter routes with very little chance for yards after catch. 2 different types of receivers that got their yards in different ways but yet still 2 very good receivers.

Again I do understand that Bettis was a pound it up the middle guy so yes his yards per carry is going to be a bit lower because of that but still 3.9 is still pretty low for a HOF player. I mean Lynch didn't have great speed and was a pound it up the middle guy and yet he was still able to break some long runs and have an average over 4 per carry. Bettis while I like the guy and I do think he was a really good player in this league was not deserving of the HOF. he is in that next class.

Ok, I can see some of that and I will say he is borderline for me, I wouldn't cry if Bettis wasn't in but don't think it was wrong to put him in either.

I still think that the YPC is a bit overblown for the backs... Looking into the numbers.

Bettis 4.049 YPC, @ age 29
Marshawn Lynch 4.250 YPC @ age 29

0.201 yards per rush better for Lynch. About 42 yards a season based on the carries for Lynch, or 2.7 yards per game he would get more than Bettis.

But what about the being much better in short Yardage? I can't use Bettis' rookie seasons (one of his better ones but too old), but these are Bettis vs. Lynch for their careers minus Bettis' rookie year. Bettis was just insane at converting short yardage. Wasn't as flashy of a powerful runner, but more effective, and I do think that gets forgotten when we don't have the numbers staring us in the face. Beast mode highlights are more fun than Bettis dragging a LB and falling forward for one more yard.

Bettis 68.3% first down conversion rate on 3/4th down and 3 or fewer yards.
Lynch 54.3% conversion rate (same situation). (Bettis 13.1% better on successful runs in "1 yard to go situations)

And what about running out the clock? Who was better at keeping the flags moving and not turning it over?

Bettis, 3rd/4th down conversion rate with the lead in the 2nd half? 60.0% conversion rate, 0.8% fumble rate
Lynch, same exact situation conversion rate? 40.7% conversion rate, 2.2% fumble rate

And for those who talk about the goal line ability to punch it in and how huge that can be for a team...

Bettis on "and goal" situations on 3rd/4th down 61.3% conversion rate.
Lynch on same situations? 33.3% conversion rate. (I really was amazed to see how different that one was, double checked it and yes it is real. Bettis was almost twice as likely to punch it in than Lynch).

Bettis truly was on a level all his own there. We can talk about how good Lynch was in short yardage (and he was), but he was literally not even close to Bettis.

But I agree, Bettis is a marginal HOFer. I personally think Lynch is just a little step back from him.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I can see some of that and I will say he is borderline for me, I wouldn't cry if Bettis wasn't in but don't think it was wrong to put him in either.

I still think that the YPC is a bit overblown for the backs... Looking into the numbers.

Bettis 4.049 YPC, @ age 29
Marshawn Lynch 4.250 YPC @ age 29

0.201 yards per rush better for Lynch. About 42 yards a season based on the carries for Lynch, or 2.7 yards per game he would get more than Bettis.

But what about the being much better in short Yardage? I can't use Bettis' rookie seasons (one of his better ones but too old), but these are Bettis vs. Lynch for their careers minus Bettis' rookie year. Bettis was just insane at converting short yardage. Wasn't as flashy of a powerful runner, but more effective, and I do think that gets forgotten when we don't have the numbers staring us in the face. Beast mode highlights are more fun than Bettis dragging a LB and falling forward for one more yard.

Bettis 68.3% first down conversion rate on 3/4th down and 3 or fewer yards.
Lynch 54.3% conversion rate (same situation). (Bettis 13.1% better on successful runs in "1 yard to go situations)

And what about running out the clock? Who was better at keeping the flags moving and not turning it over?

Bettis, 3rd/4th down conversion rate with the lead in the 2nd half? 60.0% conversion rate, 0.8% fumble rate
Lynch, same exact situation conversion rate? 40.7% conversion rate, 2.2% fumble rate

And for those who talk about the goal line ability to punch it in and how huge that can be for a team...

Bettis on "and goal" situations on 3rd/4th down 61.3% conversion rate.
Lynch on same situations? 33.3% conversion rate. (I really was amazed to see how different that one was, double checked it and yes it is real. Bettis was almost twice as likely to punch it in than Lynch).

Bettis truly was on a level all his own there.

But I agree, Bettis is a marginal HOFer. I personally think Lynch is just a little step back from him.
All good stats. And that does show the ability of Bettis. It doesn't really upset me either that he is in just don't think he was deserving. I have the same thought towards Lynch. Very good RB that deserves to be in the Hall of Very Good just not quite to the level needed.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good stats. And that does show the ability of Bettis. It doesn't really upset me either that he is in just don't think he was deserving. I have the same thought towards Lynch. Very good RB that deserves to be in the Hall of Very Good just not quite to the level needed.

I guess I would lean with you there for the reason that I think the HOF really favors offensive players more than defense. No problem with it favoring QB's due to the importance of the position but I think it's been about 3 offensive guys per defensive getting in. But it's tough to say no to a RB who's 6th all time in rushing yards too.