• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Is Marshawn Lynch a Hall of Fame Running Back?

Choose Two!

• Yes

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 74 71.8%
  • I'm just here so I won't get banned.

Votes: 30 29.1%

• Total voters

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The overall numbers between Brady and Manning in the post season are nearly identical. Brady has more TD's, Manning has less interceptions. Manning also has a higher yards/attempt and completion %. Their QB ratings are nearly identical. There just isn't much difference between the two except for team success. You can keep beating on the 'one and done' and playoff choker and whatnot, but he's still got a better record head to head vs Brady. How does a 'playoff choker' accomplish that against a supposed 'playoff hero?' Answer? It doesn't. As a previous poster also stated, Manning hasn't had an undefeated team fold up in the SB or blown a massive lead against Brady - 2006 AFCCG.

And speaking of 'defenses bailing out Manning/fumbles'.....if anyone should know better, it 'should' be a Pat fan. Tuck rule? Marshawn Lynch not getting the ball? That's potentially 2 lost SB's as well. Anyone can play that game, for or against.

In the end, I don't really even care about either Manning or Brady. I simply know that they are more equal than either side cares to admit.

Ouch! :L

LOL @ Tom *Brady

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vote and discuss.

His best games were as good as any, but he wasn't that good before Seattle signed him and was only that good for what 3 yrs maybe....He was a terror during that time but I don't think his numbers will stagger anyone in the HOF and more over, he is highly disliked among the league suits....We know that it's got a lot to do with popularity today and his bust would have the inscription ; "I'm only here so I don't get fined"
And Mike Tyson introducing him as.....

super-bowl-xlix-memes_20_zpsuxa3zeyo.jpg :D

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His best games were as good as any, but he wasn't that good before Seattle signed him and was only that good for what 3 yrs maybe....He was a terror during that time but I don't think his numbers will stagger anyone in the HOF and more over, he is highly disliked among the league suits....We know that it's got a lot to do with popularity today and his bust would have the inscription ; "I'm only here so I don't get fined"
And Mike Tyson introducing him as.....

View attachment 118171 :D

Lynch had a three year stretch as good as any. But it's no coincidence that it was his only 3 years with Wilson.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montana is only considered good because of playoff no# reg no#s are ok. He would not be known in salary cap era. Manning is a rich man Favre, Brees

Montana then sucks He had the no# 1 D giving uo 7 points first year. Learn football and then waste my time jerkoff

Substance abuse in action.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well like I said guys, that's just how his case will be built. I didn't really take a side (other than saying I think he probably doesn't get in, so maybe I agree with you). But I think it's also a bit hasty to so easily waive off the best run in playoff history. We aren't talking about Timmy Smith here, either. Lynch was on top for several years and racked up good #s.

So who was the better player -- Bettis or Lynch?

Bettis

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats aren't everything but his just aren't there to justify him getting in. Great player, his style of running was just nasty and mean. Not many guys could have lasted as long as he did.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No He gave the Pts a 4 point lead late in game with 2 min, D needs to stop a TD

Yay... he scored a TD!! Wasn't that his first since the opening drive in that game? Seriously, what's the last time 14 points won a SB??? What other way would you define saving the worst offensive game of the season by up to then the best and most dominant team in NFL history for the Superbowl???

Greatest offense ever and can't overcome 17 points given up by the D is an OFFENSIVE issue no matter how you want to look at it. And that D did well, all but two drives ended in turnovers or punts... The ONLY reason that TD wasn't just a garbage touchdown late in a blowout was their D was playing at an elite level almost all game.

I'd be impressed with scoring a 14 points and 3 turnovers (two incompletes on 4th down, 1 fumble lost) by Dilfer, but to try and revisionist history that into anything but a complete and utter disaster by the offense is a joke.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There, or in jail.

Or in a Sunset Strip gay bar.

Dude's a liar, a cheat and I fear he may be bi.
Hammer only "fears" Brady might be bi because it would cut into his pool of available men.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call them 12's it gets a better reaction.
Hammer though not very smart and quite a terrible judge of talent is fiscally wise. He doesn't want to get sued by the Aggies for using their trademark.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh please, you know better than that. Beast Mode was solid in short yardage.
Beast had a success rate of 20% that year on short and one.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say 55% no, 45% yes. He didn't have the longevity, but he was every bit as good as many of the other RBs who have made it. Most forefront example: Jerome Bettis. Lynch's case will be mostly built on the idea of "Can you tell the story of Pro Football without talking about him?" He has arguably the best run in the history of the league and was among the best players at his position in his era. It might not be enough to get him in, but it's not like he hasn't had a career worthy of consideration.

IDK if the NFL voters are like MLB, but this is where the engaging personality of JB (Bettis) was probably an easier sell than the pretty much non-engaging personality.

Production...yes, he's been one of the best to play the position.

Media and whatever other criteria they use...no.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bettis played 13 NFL seasons; in 9 of those, he didn't even top 3.8 ypc! Garbage. Career 3.9 ypc, and about a half yard less in the playoffs. One of the most overrated players ever.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bettis played 13 NFL seasons; in 9 of those, he didn't even top 3.8 ypc! Garbage. Career 3.9 ypc, and about a half yard less in the playoffs. One of the most overrated players ever.

Bettis was a pretty-much guaranteed 1st down every other play. He's a HUGE reason why the Steelers were able to be successful for the majority of his tenure in Pittsburgh. Sure, his career YPC isn't the greatest, but he never went down on the 1st hit, he struck absolute fear in the hearts of most defenders who tried to "out-physical" him at the point of attack, once the Steelers got a 7-10 point lead it was "goodnight Dorothy" for the other team, just hand it to Bettis the rest of the game, and he did that to help the team win MANY times.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bettis was a pretty-much guaranteed 1st down every other play. He's a HUGE reason why the Steelers were able to be successful for the majority of his tenure in Pittsburgh. Sure, his career YPC isn't the greatest, but he never went down on the 1st hit, he struck absolute fear in the hearts of most defenders who tried to "out-physical" him at the point of attack, once the Steelers got a 7-10 point lead it was "goodnight Dorothy" for the other team, just hand it to Bettis the rest of the game, and he did that to help the team win MANY times.
That's a good story. Not much objectivity in it though.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And Jerry Rice can't even crack the top 200 in yards per reception. Kenny Britt averages over a full yard more per catch...

I would think YPC would be the last thing you would want to be using here as Lynch was above the league average in YPC in a season twice in his entire career. (Bettis 4 times, doubled him up).

You are right. Bettis didn't turn many 20 yard runs into 80 yard runs (biggest jumper of YPC), he also didn't run draws (not a good receiver out of the backfield, which is a real knock against him), and got almost all the short yardage carries.

And yes, his post 30 career brought his career YPC down from 4.1 to 3.9. (Marshawn is 4.3, meaning based on his career average we are talking about 50 yards per season more rushing with that better efficiency (3-4 yards per game).

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Jerry Rice can't even crack the top 200 in yards per reception. Kenny Britt averages over a full yard more per catch...

Jerry Rice vs Kenny Britt? I'm not moved even a smidge by this comparison.

I would think YPC would be the last thing you would want to be using here as Lynch was above the league average in YPC in a season twice in his entire career. (Bettis 4 times, doubled him up).

You are right. Bettis didn't turn many 20 yard runs into 80 yard runs (biggest jumper of YPC), he also didn't run draws (not a good receiver out of the backfield, which is a real knock against him), and got almost all the short yardage carries.

And yes, his post 30 career brought his career YPC down from 4.1 to 3.9. (Marshawn is 4.3, meaning based on his career average we are talking about 50 yards per season more rushing with that better efficiency (3-4 yards per game).
I appreciate the longevity that Bettis had. He compiled yardage the last 4 years or so of his career to end up with an impressive total. That and playing for the Steelers is why he's in the HOF. Not because he was some dangerous runner with the ball in his hands. Pretty much all of his career #s are uninspiring except for the 1 that comes from playing a long time. Like I said before, vastly overrated.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Rice vs Kenny Britt? I'm not moved even a smidge by this comparison.

Exactly, me either, there is so much more than yards gained per play when talking about players, I couldn't make that a defining reason to call a player over or under rated without taking into context how they played the game.

I think the analytics, the deeper looking into that number people had gotten so hung up on is a big part of why he did get into the HOF. People see that 3.9 and freak out. And I remember before the voting, Pittsburgh's analytics team showed how in nearly every situation his YPC looked good, just he was carrying the football in the bad ones a lot. Plus top 10 in rushing and rushing TD's didn't hurt.

Now I don't think he's one of the better HOF RB's, but he kind of sets you up with the minimums.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, me either, there is so much more than yards gained per play when talking about players, I couldn't make that a defining reason to call a player over or under rated without taking into context how they played the game.

I think the analytics, the deeper looking into that number people had gotten so hung up on is a big part of why he did get into the HOF. People see that 3.9 and freak out. And I remember before the voting, Pittsburgh's analytics team showed how in nearly every situation his YPC looked good, just he was carrying the football in the bad ones a lot. Plus top 10 in rushing and rushing TD's didn't hurt.

Now I don't think he's one of the better HOF RB's, but he kind of sets you up with the minimums.

I would say WR is just a bit different than RB though when comparing yards. I mean with the WR position you have so many different types of WR's. Now given I understand some RB's are speedsters that get to the edge where others pound it up the middle but all RB's are still required to run it up the middle the majority of the time. Where with WR's they can have certain routes they run a majority of the time with those with great speed being the deep threat. A great example was the 2012 Ravens. They had Torrey Smith a guy with incredible speed that they used as their deep threat where they had Bolden who was a possession receiver and was used on the shorter routes with very little chance for yards after catch. 2 different types of receivers that got their yards in different ways but yet still 2 very good receivers.

Again I do understand that Bettis was a pound it up the middle guy so yes his yards per carry is going to be a bit lower because of that but still 3.9 is still pretty low for a HOF player. I mean Lynch didn't have great speed and was a pound it up the middle guy and yet he was still able to break some long runs and have an average over 4 per carry. Bettis while I like the guy and I do think he was a really good player in this league was not deserving of the HOF. he is in that next class.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not Hall worthy, but he certainly made his mark in the playoffs.. He had some of the most epic runs at key moments...

Clearly those runs were because of the Seattle Defense:thumb: