• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is everyone sleeping on the Spurs?

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spurs condoned it with Bruce Bowen for years so....

I don't like the Bruce Bowen argument. Was Bowen a dirty player? Yes..... but the NBA was also a much different league in his heyday. The game was much more physical. Teams tried to when games with toughness. Being a gritty and annoying player was applauded. The NBA is a finesse league now. People want to see 3's, they want to see guys blazing a trail up and down the court, fans no longer pay their money to see things like defense and rebounding.

I still think that Warriors fans can't diss us about Bowen tho, because at least Bowen was a classy guy who knew how to behave on the court. He didn't yell at the officials 50 times a game at the top of his lungs, he didn't get a ton of technicals, and he didn't call other teams / players out. Draymond Green is much more obnoxious and easier to hate than Bruce Bowen ever was.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the Bruce Bowen argument. Was Bowen a dirty player? Yes..... but the NBA was also a much different league in his heyday. The game was much more physical. Teams tried to when games with toughness. Being a gritty and annoying player was applauded. The NBA is a finesse league now. People want to see 3's, they want to see guys blazing a trail up and down the court, fans no longer pay their money to see things like defense and rebounding.

I still think that Warriors fans can't diss us about Bowen tho, because at least Bowen was a classy guy who knew how to behave on the court. He didn't yell at the officials 50 times a game at the top of his lungs, he didn't get a ton of technicals, and he didn't call other teams / players out. Draymond Green is much more obnoxious and easier to hate than Bruce Bowen ever was.

Bowen's prime was in the 2000s, not the 90s. The league had already cleaned up a lot of the physical crap by then.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ho-lee, SHITE, talk about a spin job. You talk as if Bowen's prime was in the early 90's, give me a break. He absolutely stood out as a piece of shit dirtbag during his time, no doubt about it. What is unacceptable today was also unacceptable in 2004, as far as "aggressive" play is concerned

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ho-lee, SHITE, talk about a spin job. You talk as if Bowen's prime was in the early 90's, give me a break. He absolutely stood out as a piece of shit dirtbag during his time, no doubt about it. What is unacceptable today was also unacceptable in 2004, as far as "aggressive" play is concerned

Still....... 2004 NBA ball is a lot different from 2017 NBA ball

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TL;DR: looks like a lot of typing to try to justify your dirty player and dis the other team's. Correct response: OK fair enough, it's basketball, moving on....

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Nightcrawler: if Green were a Spur you would love him and all his antics.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robert Horry was also a piece of shit and Ginobili used to be the worst flopper in the league. About the only player I didn't hate on the Spurs was Duncan.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF they get Irving, thats probably it for the Warriors. Irving playing 2nd fiddle to Leonard puts Spurs over the top no doubt with the BIGs. Warriors will be all kinds of fucked.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF they get Irving, thats probably it for the Warriors. Irving playing 2nd fiddle to Leonard puts Spurs over the top no doubt with the BIGs. Warriors will be all kinds of fucked.
Uh, no...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robert Horry was also a piece of shit and Ginobili used to be the worst flopper in the league. About the only player I didn't hate on the Spurs was Duncan.

Duncan was maybe the classiest player in the history of the NBA.

I had no problem with Tony Parker either. Or Sean Elliott.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's baaaaaaaack. Get your hot takes here! LOL

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duncan was maybe the classiest player in the history of the NBA.

I had no problem with Tony Parker either. Or Sean Elliott.
Yeah, I like David Robinson also. But I hated the Spurs so much during the Nash years. They ended so many seasons for the Suns. I still don't like them very much.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Pop still there? He is? Ok. Is Kawhi still there? He is? Ok.

No one is sleeping on the Spurs. Let's move on to talk about more interesting topics like Hassan Whiteside's Snapchat

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they get Irving they could be a team that may do some damage and possibly even upset the Warriors.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, no...

How you figure? They were getting pounded against a Parker-less, Spurs team before Leonard goes down.. Do you know a Spurs team with Irving does?

They would be no upset if Spurs beat them. They will be a better team with an MAJOR upgrade in the PG position and the heavy advantage inside

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True to standard off season form, no one is talking about the Spurs.

Yes, they are still boring.

They had a pretty boring draft and free agency. They didn't trade Aldridge and move up in the draft. They drafted late and took an old senior combo guard, Derrick White, that only people that watched the pre-draft combine even knew existed. They signed Rudy Gay at a discount to break him free from obscurity in Sacramento.

All standard Spurs off season stuff; making non-splashy moves that get forgotten among bigger NBA news. But they are almost always the right moves that keep San Antonio plugging along.

And by plugging along, I mean in title contention. They were only 5 games back of Golden State last year and had a winning regular season against them. And, oh yeah, the Spurs were blowing the Warriors out in game one of the WCS before Kawhi's ankle met its demise and pretty much ended the series.

With the history they have, the success of last season, and the off season to heal and make the usual small, quiet tweaks that the Spurs have made I am surprised that they never come up in the conversation and everyone is ready to hand the West to the Warriors for another season.
The Spurs have done the best job of consistency out of all of the teams out their from about 2000 to now over the last 17 years, but they aren't going to any finals and that's all there is too it.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,796.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How you figure? They were getting pounded against a Parker-less, Spurs team before Leonard goes down.. Do you know a Spurs team with Irving does?

They would be no upset if Spurs beat them. They will be a better team with an MAJOR upgrade in the PG position and the heavy advantage inside

You aren't so good at Engrish.