• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Coach K "unfireable"?

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knight won 2 tourney games in his last six years at Indiana.

Coach K has won 13 tourney games the last six years.

Yep, totally comparable.....

You missed his point. Coach K has not reached the point where people in Duke nation will start calling for his head because he has still been very good of late even if you do include a few first round upsets.

But as soon as it starts to go south for an extended period of time, things change.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% this.

There's never been anyone less fireable than Bobby Knight at Indiana basketball.

And he got fired.

It's time for a change at Duke.

Didn't Knight go down because he kept being physically agressive/abusive with his players?

His firing was more than just about not winning a few NCAA games, but it had a much wider scope, right?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knight won 2 tourney games in his last six years at Indiana.

Coach K has won 13 tourney games the last six years.

Yep, totally comparable.....

Tournament wins/losses had absolutely nothing to do with Bobby Knight's firing. He could have stayed at Indiana til the day he died if not for his pride. Period.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You missed his point. Coach K has not reached the point where people in Duke nation will start calling for his head because he has still been very good of late even if you do include a few first round upsets.

But as soon as it starts to go south for an extended period of time, things change.

Well, not really, since he was calling for a change immediately. But either way, Duke won't collapse. Other than a supreme talent (Jabari), this team didn't have a lot of natural talent. Their #2 player was debatably the third best player on Mississippi State. He lost a ton of talent from a team that made an Elite Eight and lost to the eventual champs, and they still finished #2 the ACC.

He's got a loaded class coming in next year. He's clearly a top five head coach (I'd put him at #2 behind Self). A "down" year is 28 wins. He's the winningest coach ever by games, and he has 5 titles and 11 Final Fours. And he's done it with no implications of severe NCAA violations. He took over a subpar program which is now the best program in America.

In other words, he is literally the most unfireable coach in history. Again, this thread is disgustingly ESPN.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, not really, since he was calling for a change immediately. But either way, Duke won't collapse. Other than a supreme talent (Jabari), this team didn't have a lot of natural talent. Their #2 player was debatably the third best player on Mississippi State. He lost a ton of talent from a team that made an Elite Eight and lost to the eventual champs, and they still finished #2 the ACC.

He's got a loaded class coming in next year. He's clearly a top five head coach (I'd put him at #2 behind Self). A "down" year is 28 wins. He's the winningest coach ever by games, and he has 5 titles and 11 Final Fours. And he's done it with no implications of severe NCAA violations. He took over a subpar program which is now the best program in America.

In other words, he is literally the most unfireable coach in history. Again, this thread is disgustingly ESPN.

I created this thread to raise intellectual talk about a great coach that has struggled a bit of late. Not to offend anyone. I never said that he was or should be fired right now. I do however feel that any coach can be fired for either A) doing something illegal or B) lack of performance. The length of the latter being determined by how much prior success is had.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Knight was a total jackass who wore out his welcome at Indiana when he was no longer winning championships, plus the whole physical violence against players stuff, not even comparable.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If your me telling Hood, Sulaimon, Mine as well throw in Cook, Jefferson, Dawkins aren't talented your nuts. These just didn't have there usual Duke flavored defense and a great Center but the team has talent, let's not get it twisted.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Knight was a total jackass who wore out his welcome at Indiana when he was no longer winning championships, plus the whole physical violence against players stuff, not even comparable.

But it was ok to be a jackass when he was winning and in contention every year.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing Bob Knight and Coach K is pointless. Knight was an embarrassment to the University on account of his childish actions. And an absolute fucking dinosaur. Coach K just lost a tournament game he should have won. Let me know when top recruits stop showing interest in his program.

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
go-white-boy.gif

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You don't know much about Indiana basketball. In Indiana you had God and Bobby Knight; just not necessarily in that order. Only difference in the two was God didn't think he was Bobby Knight.

And I can assure you that Coach K is not one bit less arrogant than The General.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Knight go down because he kept being physically agressive/abusive with his players?

His firing was more than just about not winning a few NCAA games, but it had a much wider scope, right?

He was set up by a booster that hired a guy (his own son if I remember :L) much like the dude in happy gilmore to push him over. Knight would have never been fired otherwise.

images

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in total shock knowing that there are folks out there who are calling for the Dismissal of coach K. Still one of the very best coaches out there, caring individual, and when he loses, he shows up like a man....what's not to like about that guy?

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in total shock knowing that there are folks out there who are calling for the Dismissal of coach K. Still one of the very best coaches out there, caring individual, and when he loses, he shows up like a man....what's not to like about that guy?

Seriously? He's one of the biggest assholes in sports.

"Caring individual?" Puhlease. He cares about himself and winning.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? He's one of the biggest assholes in sports.

"Caring individual?" Puhlease. He cares about himself and winning.

Sorry; I have never seen or heard of Coach K being anything but a great coach and a great gentleman. That said, all coaches are competitive and he is no different. If you have some "for instances" I'm all ears...or in this case; all eyes.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't know much about Indiana basketball. In Indiana you had God and Bobby Knight; just not necessarily in that order. Only difference in the two was God didn't think he was Bobby Knight.

And I can assure you that Coach K is not one bit less arrogant than The General.

Methinks some people have not followed cbb fpr too long.

Im surprised indiana never dropped "hoosiers" for "bobby knights"'

The fact is, he was the most unfireable coach ever, until he wasnt.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bobby Knight is still a God in Indiana, period.

And oh by the way, that National Championship run IU made with Davis as coach, that was Bob Knight's team.