• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting take on this years QBs

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree..... could actually say we have had better luck outside of the 1st

Witten, Ratliff, Lee, Austin, Hatcher, Williams, Murray, just off the top of my head

I said help us year one. Witten was a long time ago and so was Ratliff. Hatcher did nothing year one, Lee was a backup and Murray played a few games.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell on our current team ...... 1st rounders .... We have Smith and Frederick Ware ... and alot will make a case for Dez who is still a work in progress going into his final year

I know you don't like Dez, but you need to be objective. Guy is easily one of our best players. If he is a work in progress (meaning getting better and better), then it is progress towards being one of the best players in the league.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QUARTERBACKS

Todd McShay
1. Teddy Bridgewater8, Louisville
2. Blake Bortles*, UCF
3. Johnny Manziel*, Texas A&M
4. AJ McCarron, Alabama
5. Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
6. Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech
7. Zach Mettenberger, LSU
8. Aaron Murray, Georgia
9. Tajh Boyd, Clemson
10. Derek Carr, Fresno State

Mel Kiper
1. Teddy Bridgewater*, Louisville
2. Blake Bortles*, UCF
4. Derek Carr, Fresno State
5. AJ McCarron, Alabama
6. Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
8. Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech
9. Brett Smith*, Wyoming
10. Aaron Murray, Georgia

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our late round drafting has been pathetic and the reason we have holes and no depth. There was an article I read the other day that highlighted this and compared us to Seattle. I think we were the worst in the league with picks later than the 4th round.

Look at our drafts since the disastrous 2009 draft:

Year one helped us: Dez 1st round
Good player for us: Dez 1st round; Lee 2nd round
Year one helped us: Smith 1st round
Good player for us: Smith 1st round; Murray 3rd round; Harris STs 6th Round
Year one helped us: Claiborne 1st round
Good player for us now: none?
Year one helped us: Frederick 1st round; Williams 3rd Round

We have not shown the ability to make anything other than early picks. There is no way I see us benefitting from making it harder on Jerry and moving back. Let him take his pick at #16 and move on from there.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QUARTERBACKS

Todd McShay
1. Teddy Bridgewater8, Louisville
2. Blake Bortles*, UCF
4. AJ McCarron, Alabama
5. Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
6. Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech
8. Aaron Murray, Georgia
9. Tajh Boyd, Clemson
10. Derek Carr, Fresno State

Mel Kiper
1. Teddy Bridgewater*, Louisville
2. Blake Bortles*, UCF
4. Derek Carr, Fresno State
5. AJ McCarron, Alabama
6. Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
8. Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech
9. Brett Smith*, Wyoming
10. Aaron Murray, Georgia

Interesting to see both lists side by side. Carr is the one that really jumps out as being different. I agree with both of their top 2. After that I don't know what to think. I guess you have to put Manziel 3rd. I think both of those two guys would be great picks if available at #16...just not for us. If we were the Browns, Texans, Jags or Raiders I'd be very happy taking either, but I'd hate to see us use a first round pick and watch him sit for years with all of our holes, which is why I said the more that go before we pick, the better.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our late round drafting has been pathetic and the reason we have holes and no depth. There was an article I read the other day that highlighted this and compared us to Seattle. I think we were the worst in the league with picks later than the 4th round.

Look at our drafts since the disastrous 2009 draft:

Year one helped us: Dez 1st round
Good player for us: Dez 1st round; Lee 2nd round
Year one helped us: Smith 1st round
Good player for us: Smith 1st round; Murray 3rd round; Harris STs 6th Round
Year one helped us: Claiborne 1st round
Good player for us now: none?
Year one helped us: Frederick 1st round; Williams 3rd Round

We have not shown the ability to make anything other than early picks. There is no way I see us benefitting from making it harder on Jerry and moving back. Let him take his pick at #16 and move on from there.
this to me shows a good reason to get more picks in the top 3 rounds.
Now I wont ever complain to get any stud picks in the trenches so if we got a stud OT instead of trading down. Well I wont complain.

However with that said. If a stud OT comes to us I am gonna guess it is a LT, which I don't think we are gonna replace Smith. Also if a stud OT (LT) fell to us we should be able to hold our pick for a pretty good ransom. Someone would pay to move up to snag a stud OT. Giving us more picks in the early rounds. As you pointed out We need early round picks. A stud OT falling to us would be perfect for trading.

One thing I know is it is gonna be hard for JJ to screw up this draft. With as many options you could go & as many needs as we can use in the draft.

Only two things would make me cringe in the 1st. Drafting a TE (which I think all can agree with) & trading up!

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The scouts seem to be able to find guys off the street that play better than our late round draft picks. Hopefully Jerrah has a severe case of diareah on draft day and is stuck on the porcelan.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this to me shows a good reason to get more picks in the top 3 rounds.
Now I wont ever complain to get any stud picks in the trenches so if we got a stud OT instead of trading down. Well I wont complain.

However with that said. If a stud OT comes to us I am gonna guess it is a LT, which I don't think we are gonna replace Smith. Also if a stud OT (LT) fell to us we should be able to hold our pick for a pretty good ransom. Someone would pay to move up to snag a stud OT. Giving us more picks in the early rounds. As you pointed out We need early round picks. A stud OT falling to us would be perfect for trading.

One thing I know is it is gonna be hard for JJ to screw up this draft. With as many options you could go & as many needs as we can use in the draft.

Only two things would make me cringe in the 1st. Drafting a TE (which I think all can agree with) & trading up!

Or we could take the stud Tackle and bookend him with Smith. I hate even thinking this, but it's not 100% Smith will be here a couple of years from now. Let Free and MB fight for the starting G spot and our entire OL becoimes a very big strength (assuming we hit on the OT in question).

I think the TE thing has taken on a life of it's own. I like to joke about it also, but there is no way we are taking a TE that early. Each time we've taken one it has been to replace one that recently left. Fasano - Bennett - Escobar. Not saying it was smart, but the formula we've followed won't hold true for this year. No chance we take a TE early in 2104.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont worry about LATE round draft picks ......

1st through 3rd ...... Which is why I would trade down if we gained an early 3rd or another 2nd ....

This particular draft is a gold mine in that area to me. Not saying all drafts are like this one I'm just saying this one is.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it all comes down to who you like in that "1A" to 2nd tier of player. If they have guys this year like Williams and Frederick from last year (not because they did well, but because we had higher grades on them than most teams) then trading down can work out great. I just have a feeling that we get a top 10 player at #16 IF we want him and hopefully it is at a position of need

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Harbaugh says he is impressed with Manziel and he will translate to the NFL well.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes yall so sure the Manzeil is gonna fail?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes yall so sure the Manzeil is gonna fail?

I think he is gone by pick #5, but since I don't want him I'd like to be certain someone takes him. He seems to be a polarizing player. Unlike many on here, I'm kind of torn on him. I think he could be a good NFL QB, but am not interested in taking on that risk even if we did need a QB.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We cant take him, I understand that. Im not saying I want him, I just think he is gonna do well. My opinion though of course

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading an article about Johnny Manziel's interview questions at the combine. I thought this was an interesting statement in general about the draft process....

"A prospect may never be worse, in terms of evaluation, than in the day before the draft and he might never be better, in terms of hope and optimism, than the day the team picks him."

I think that runs through the scouts, coaches, GM's to the football fans. I know I've been guilty.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that runs through the scouts, coaches, GM's to the football fans. I know I've been guilty.

Me too. Every year I fall for the same thing. We pick a guy in the 4th round and Jerry tells us they had a second round grade on him and I start plugging all these new starters in our lineup in my head thinking how much better we'll be!!!

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the QB position and that drives this league ...3 will be gone and maybe 4 by the time we pick even if a couple seem to be reaches. If you don't have a QB in this league you are working against the 8 ball. That's why they get so much money and that's why someone will take a chance on these guys before they probably should from a talent point of view. I still can't believe how early scrubs like Ponder and Locker went. Like that year, this is the best thing for us. We aren't taking one of them and they will push the talent back a few spots for us.

Locker is a solid QB.

It's a QB driven league but that doesn't mean you should throw away the pick for a guy who can't play and set yourself back even further at the position.

I think this class is better than the one from 2011. I do agree that there is no elite qb. Bortles has potential to be decent with the right coaching. Comparing Tebow to Manziel is ludicrous. Manziel is a far better prospect than Tebow. I actually like Murray in the later rounds.

Manziel to Tebow is a perfect comparison. Neither was worth giving a training camp roster spot as a UDFA. They are jokes and although the attitudes are outwardly different, both are selfish and neither resembles an NFL talent in any way. There is not one single thing either is above average at at the NFL level.