• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Incident" at Boston Marathon

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another image...

Suspectinboat660300_20130420_160817.jpg

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course everyone cares about the situation in Texas. The Boston thing was a much more fluid situation...constant updates, an unstable situation. The Texas explosion is just as sad. We all realize that. It's horrible.

Plus the Pens were in Boston to play the Bruins later in the week, had their game postponed due to the aftermath, then played the Bruins in the 1st game after both guys were caught/killed.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it wasn't really directed at you, just more of a general statement. I tend to piss people off when I talk about the US government's foreign policy, so I have to choose my words carefully.

I hear ya. It's a touchy subject and I was doing the same. This stuff needs to come out, IMO.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this last night, and thought it was funny:

How true "They attacked a MacDonalds because they were mad at America, makes sense, An offensive cartoon from a Danish guy that's reprinted in France, Germany and Turkey so naturally it's out fault!"...makes sense.

Good line.

Edit: I didn't get the quote right but close enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How true "They attacked a MacDonalds because they were mad at America, makes sense, An offensive cartoon from a Danish guy that's reprinted in France, Germany and Turkey so naturally it's out fault!"...makes sense.

Good line.

Edit: I didn't get the quote right but close enough.

It's true though. No Country or Government is perfect, but the US has a lot of influence around the World, so naturally everything can be blamed on us for that.

I'm not saying the US is squeaky clean when it comes to their involvement in foreign affairs, but have you seen what other Countries are and have been doing?

The common denominator is people. If you live somewhere that is run by people, odds are good they've done some fucked up shit to someone.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agree. I'm not sure of the agencies and/or politicians want all these financial doings coming out though.

As for attacking the root, that can be interpreted in different ways. In many parts of the world (I've been to my share of these places) the US is perceived as a violent, evil and greedy neo-colonial power. This perception, be it justified or not, needs to be thoroughly explored. Honest questions need to be asked as to why so much hatred is focused on the USA. This examination has typically ended at the standard "they hate our freedom" or "they're jealous of our wealth as a nation". That's no longer good enough. These qualities apply to countries who are far less frequently targeted by these groups of people.

The US government needs to honestly and openly try to figure out what is fueling hatred towards itself and its people. If it happens to be self-induced then obviously widespread changes need to be made. Misconceptions about how evil the US is at regional scales worldwide need to de-bunked. In short, the image of the US on a global scale has been in need of an overhaul for some time. As a preventative measure, in the interest of its citizens safety, the US govt. needs to expend resources and some of its considerable brain power uprooting the underlying perceptions and misconceptions that are feeding all the hate.

It's a wonderful thought, but knowing that it all relies on the US caring about what anyone else thinks, it might just be easier to stop the existence of money.

Yeah, it wasn't really directed at you, just more of a general statement. I tend to piss people off when I talk about the US government's foreign policy, so I have to choose my words carefully.

You're absolutely right, though. We've made some really, really bad decisions that anyone with half a brain should have realized were totally the wrong thing to do. And never saying "we shouldn't have done that" makes it all worse.

Saw this last night, and thought it was funny:

I love that guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keith Yandle in Warm Up tonight

Kudos man

nhl_g_yandle_gb1_600.jpg

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canucks had the moment of silence last night with the ribbon on the jumbo tron for Boston and then played Sweet Caroline during the game stoppage....

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Russia probably reports everyone who comes to the US.

The media can :hdn: all they want, but there's nothing to that. No one wants to limit the red tape and free the three letter agencies to actually investigate the right way, and the list of people is hundreds of thousands.

Thanks to the Sequester, some agents aren't allowed to travel. So interviews with suspicious people (read: Farmers buying supplies) are happening over the phone.

If they answer.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russia probably reports everyone who comes to the US.

The media can :hdn: all they want, but there's nothing to that. No one wants to limit the red tape and free the three letter agencies to actually investigate the right way, and the list of people is hundreds of thousands.

Thanks to the Sequester, some agents aren't allowed to travel. So interviews with suspicious people (read: Farmers buying supplies) are happening over the phone.

If they answer.

Semi-related. I love it when returning to the US from international travel and there's a question on the immigration form asking if you are now or have ever been affiliated with a terrorist organization.

Seriously, who would check yes on that?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Semi-related. I love it when returning to the US from international travel and there's a question on the immigration form asking if you are now or have ever been affiliated with a terrorist organization.

Recruiter: Now, are either of you homosexuals?

John Winger: [John and Russell look at each other] You mean, like, flaming, or...

Recruiter: Well, it's a standard question we have to ask.

Russell Ziskey: No, we're not homosexual, but we are *willing to learn*.

John Winger: Yeah, would they send us someplace special?

Recruiter: I guess that's "no" on both. Now if you could just give Uncle Sam your autograph...

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
got to earn your stripes somehow eh Dash

Recruiter: Now, are either of you homosexuals?

John Winger: [John and Russell look at each other] You mean, like, flaming, or...

Recruiter: Well, it's a standard question we have to ask.

Russell Ziskey: No, we're not homosexual, but we are *willing to learn*.

John Winger: Yeah, would they send us someplace special?

Recruiter: I guess that's "no" on both. Now if you could just give Uncle Sam your autograph...

stripes.jpg

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Haha.. yeah.

Semi-related. Work personal self yearly review paperwork. Have to rate yourself as "walk on water" or whatever... or "moving ahead" or "great job all around" or "needs improvement in many areas" or similar (better worded than this, but the options are essentially this). I was asking a co-worker the other day, "Who the hell would pick 'needs improvement in many areas'?" and he goes, "Oh, this friend of mine in HR says a lot of people DO." <-- OMG, what?!