• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In tough times, let's look forward......

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without looking at free agents, who on the current team do you want/expect to see in the lineup next year? Here's my assumption:

1B - Montero (I want to see this, but Montero isn't locked into anything with this team)
2B - Cano
SS - ? (Marte is making a case, but no lock)
3B - Seager
LF - Gutierrez
CF - ?
RF - Cruz
C - Zunino
DH - Trumbo

B - Miller

Whether like it or not, these are the guy's that I think fill their rightful position. When looking at it, I really don't mind that lineup if we can get a professional CF & SS. Our focus clearly needs to be in order:

GM
Manager
Bullpen
Starting Pitching
Bats

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wouldn't be surprised if Z or whatever moron is in charge goes with something like that, but it's categorically awful.

i don't want cruz as an everyday outfielder.

a competent outfield capable of playing full time is one of the top priorities for this team, same as it ever was. guti would be a great backup. montero splitting time at 1B might be okay.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i meant montero splitting time at 1B with Trumbo.

sorry, i'm doing presentations for my incoming students today, and they all rushed in right as i was typing the last response.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without looking at free agents, who on the current team do you want/expect to see in the lineup next year? Here's my assumption:

1B - Montero (I want to see this, but Montero isn't locked into anything with this team)
2B - Cano
SS - ? (Marte is making a case, but no lock)
3B - Seager
LF - Gutierrez
CF - ?
RF - Cruz
C - Zunino
DH - Trumbo

B - Miller

Whether like it or not, these are the guy's that I think fill their rightful position. When looking at it, I really don't mind that lineup if we can get a professional CF & SS. Our focus clearly needs to be in order:

GM
Manager
Bullpen
Starting Pitching
Bats

1B Adam Lind.
2B Cano - yes
SS - Miller 120 starts/Marte 40 starts.
3B - Seagar yes
LF - Seth Smith 110 starts/Gutierrez 50 starts.
CF - Marte 100 starts/Rajai Davis 60 starts
RF - Cruz 110 starts/Chris Young 50 starts
C - Matt Wieters 115 starts/Mike Zunino 45 starts
DH - Montero 110 starts/Cruz 50 starts

GM - replaced
Manager - replaced
Bullpen - keep Furbush and Smith, get rid of the rest
Rotation: Hernandez, Iwakuma, James Shields, Walker, Paxton, Mongomery first on the depth chart. Elias second.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better yet, just burn everything to the ground. Less painful that way.
But before they do, trade Felix to a contender... he deserves better. the rest can fuck themselves.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better yet, just burn everything to the ground. Less painful that way.
But before they do, trade Felix to a contender... he deserves better. the rest can fuck themselves.

Not sure very many teams would want a $25 million/year pitcher with a 3.65 ERA and 2200 innings on his arm.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i meant montero splitting time at 1B with Trumbo.

sorry, i'm doing presentations for my incoming students today, and they all rushed in right as i was typing the last response.

Forgot that you were a teacher, kind of funny to think of.

What age group do you teach?

As for the thread topic, I'd like to see Seth Smith on the team going forward. He's one of the few professional hitters this organization possesses.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1B Adam Lind.
2B Cano - yes
SS - Miller 120 starts/Marte 40 starts.
3B - Seagar yes
LF - Seth Smith 110 starts/Gutierrez 50 starts.
CF - Marte 100 starts/Rajai Davis 60 starts
RF - Cruz 110 starts/Chris Young 50 starts
C - Matt Wieters 115 starts/Mike Zunino 45 starts
DH - Montero 110 starts/Cruz 50 starts

GM - replaced
Manager - replaced
Bullpen - keep Furbush and Smith, get rid of the rest
Rotation: Hernandez, Iwakuma, James Shields, Walker, Paxton, Mongomery first on the depth chart. Elias second.

Adam Lind: I could see some pretty nasty Mariner regression on his bat. But I said the same thing about Cruz. But there aren't many options at 1B right now.

LF: I like the idea of a Seth Smith and Gutierrez splitting time.
CF: I'd rather sign a guy like Dexter Fowler.
RF: Frequently I agree with you Cotton (Don't feel right calling you PolarVortex), but I hate the idea of Chris Young. He's an older, shittier version of Mark Trumbo. I'd love to see the Mariners go all in for Alex Gordon and make Nelson Cruz a full time DH (as he should be, we're all gonna get really pissed when he gets injured playing in the field).
C: I like the idea of Matt Wieters. High upside, and at worst he's no worse than Zunino is now.

Your ideas with mine probably would put us over budget, but who cares.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Smith, but isn't he a FA after this season? That was my assumption and why I didn't include him, but if he comes back I would like the OF platoon with Guti.

Also, how about getting Ruggiano back up here? Anybody oppose to that move once Lloyd is gone?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Lind: I could see some pretty nasty Mariner regression on his bat. But I said the same thing about Cruz. But there aren't many options at 1B right now.

LF: I like the idea of a Seth Smith and Gutierrez splitting time.
CF: I'd rather sign a guy like Dexter Fowler.
RF: Frequently I agree with you Cotton (Don't feel right calling you PolarVortex), but I hate the idea of Chris Young. He's an older, shittier version of Mark Trumbo. I'd love to see the Mariners go all in for Alex Gordon and make Nelson Cruz a full time DH (as he should be, we're all gonna get really pissed when he gets injured playing in the field).
C: I like the idea of Matt Wieters. High upside, and at worst he's no worse than Zunino is now.

Your ideas with mine probably would put us over budget, but who cares.

Wieters will be looking to rebuild his value and will probably take a one year deal. But I think he would rather be in a little park where his offensive stats would be inflated.

I'm sold on Marte. I want to see him at the top of the lineup. If he is in CF and Miller is at SS, then they save money to spend on other positions. Not sure Marte can master CF quickly enough to be ready by next April, but, maybe...

I agree, Lind is a regression gamble. He may be no better than Trumbo. But they have to keep trying/looking until they find something. Trumbo isn't the answer. Morrison isn't. And I don't think Montero is either.

Chris Young and Trumbo don't have the same game other than shitty BAs and high strikeout totals. But Young has more speed and when he only plays against lefthanders, he actually puts up good numbers. And he'll be alot cheaper than Trumbo because he doesn't expect to be paid starter money.

Rodney/Morrison/Wilhelmsen/Jackson coming off the books is about $20 million. And on top of that they need to raise payroll. Almost every team has a $100 million payroll nowdays. Even the Royals and Pirates. So Seattle realistically should be around $135-$150 million.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Take off your homer glasses and step in to realiity. I like Felix as much as any Mariner fan but I don't let my emotions control my understanding of his value on the open market.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Smith, but isn't he a FA after this season? That was my assumption and why I didn't include him, but if he comes back I would like the OF platoon with Guti.

Also, how about getting Ruggiano back up here? Anybody oppose to that move once Lloyd is gone?

I believe he is under contract next year, haven't checked though.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wieters will be looking to rebuild his value and will probably take a one year deal. But I think he would rather be in a little park where his offensive stats would be inflated.

I'm sold on Marte. I want to see him at the top of the lineup. If he is in CF and Miller is at SS, then they save money to spend on other positions. Not sure Marte can master CF quickly enough to be ready by next April, but, maybe...

I agree, Lind is a regression gamble. He may be no better than Trumbo. But they have to keep trying/looking until they find something. Trumbo isn't the answer. Morrison isn't. And I don't think Montero is either.

Chris Young and Trumbo don't have the same game other than shitty BAs and high strikeout totals. But Young has more speed and when he only plays against lefthanders, he actually puts up good numbers. And he'll be alot cheaper than Trumbo because he doesn't expect to be paid starter money.

Rodney/Morrison/Wilhelmsen/Jackson coming off the books is about $20 million. And on top of that they need to raise payroll. Almost every team has a $100 million payroll nowdays. Even the Royals and Pirates. So Seattle realistically should be around $135-$150 million.

Valid point on Wieters. I'd be willing to pay a premium in the form of extra money or extra years to land him though. Zunino has a lot of work that needs to be done.

I'd agree with you on the saving money part aside from the fact that I believe a guy like Dexter Fowler is a really good value player and what he brings to the team would be worth more than whatever contract he is valued at. Also, CF is the most important OF position defensively, not sure you want Marte to be learning that on the fly as the season goes on. I almost think it would be better to keep him at SS for the time being.

Valid point on Lind. Hopefully wouldn't cost too much. I'd be open to it depending on the type of deal he is looking for.

Valid point on Young as well. I just see the whole shitty defense, lot of strikeouts and bad ABs when I look at Young. Also the fact that he plays in Yankee stadium helps his case a lot. I'd still rather have Trumbo due to his youth though.

I crunched the numbers and assumed Seattle would add $10m in payroll and I think I came up with a number around $140 or so, honestly can't remember. It's around here somewhere.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot that you were a teacher, kind of funny to think of.

What age group do you teach?

I teach high school English.

This year, I've got 9th, 11th, and 12th graders.

Love my job most of the time.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take off your homer glasses and step in to realiity. I like Felix as much as any Mariner fan but I don't let my emotions control my understanding of his value on the open market.

Again... :L:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

You mean to tell me a "contender" wouldn't pick him up in a heartbeat right now? And yes, "contender" because that what I originally said.

And his "value" is perfectly fine, still in his prime despite the innings pitched over the course of his career. :L

You're right on one thing though... there aren't "very many" teams out there.. because there can't be very many contenders.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again... :L:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

You mean to tell me a "contender" wouldn't pick him up in a heartbeat right now? And yes, "contender" because that what I originally said.

And his "value" is perfectly fine, still in his prime despite the innings pitched over the course of his career. :L

I understand both sides you guys are coming from.

I've got to say that there likely would be plenty of teams interested in Felix. He has struggled at times this year, but we can't forget he just came off of a year in which he had a 2.14 ERA and should have won the Cy Young, and he's only 29.

I do expect him to rebound next year, I have to wonder if there is some injury that we don't know about. He's the type of competitor that would try to hide something like that and pitch through it.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. I always imagined that teaching high school would be a pain.
For both middle and high school, it's all about whether or not the kids know you like them and care about them being successful.

Takes a couple of weeks for me to establish that with my classes every year, but once I do, they'll do pretty much anything I ask.