• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 09.24.23 Free Fallers in Lala land

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even more nonsense! Instead of putting Bailey in at catcher and moving Sabol to left field (and Haniger to right, or Sabol to right), Kapler further burns through his bench with bringing in Slater to play outfield and keep Sabaol at catcher! What the heck!?!? Now you have only one guy left to catch in this tied game in extras and less bats on the bench! Or maybe you've decided the Dodgers score here so you can go home?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is absolutely ridiculous. Huge pedigree, young, no much time in the big leagues. He struggles in the upper minors for about one full season and they give up on him?!?!
I have to assume they know what they are looking at. They talk to him. They see him in the weight room. They see him doing drills. All we have are numbers on a spreadsheet (and those numbers actually agree with their apparent opinion of him).

I agree that I would rather see him play than Conforto, Haniger or Pederson. But if they have already concluded he isn’t worth it, I have to go with that. I dont have the utmost faith in their decision making, but they have a shit ton more data at their disposal than I do.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to assume they know what they are looking at. They talk to him. They see him in the weight room. They see him doing drills. All we have are numbers on a spreadsheet (and those numbers actually agree with their apparent opinion of him).

I agree that I would rather see him play than Conforto, Haniger or Pederson. But if they have already concluded he isn’t worth it, I have to go with that. I dont have the utmost faith in their decision making, but they have a shit ton more data at their disposal than I do.
I know I have a play the guys from the farm bias but I look at the lack of production from the guys that they trust, I look at the win-loss record and I look at the general history of this franchise under the current FO leadership and I cannot help but question their decisions, even on Ramos.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I have a play the guys from the farm bias but I look at the lack of production from the guys that they trust, I look at the win-loss record and I look at the general history of this franchise under the current FO leadership and I cannot help but question their decisions, even on Ramos.
I get it. And you know I agree. When you look at this FO’s w/l record on their decisions, it just isn’t pretty. We are not in a position to complain about any single decision, but all the decisions as a whole have just been gawd awful.

But what REALLY gets me is the fact that these guys play unwatchable ball. No heart. No apparent effort. The Bonds teams didn’t win a lot, but they were fun to watch. There was a reason to go to the park. A reason to turn on the TV and watch. With his team, I found myself anticipating the end of the game so I could go do something else. That is BAD and ownership needs to address that.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate losing to the Dogs, but have to remember a loss is probably a win at this point. Although with baseball drafts, it’s really a crapshoot. Dodgers have lost Bauer, goggles, Buehler and May and still are great. I hate it.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looking at Ramos' 69 games in the big leagues, his numbers suck. But consider the history of playing time:
April 10th - 14th, 2022 - First look in the big leagues. PLayed in 4 games. Went 2 for 6 with a walk and 2 Ks.
May 31st - June 1st, 2022 - Went 0 for 3 in 1 game.
June 11th - 13th, 2022 - Went 0 for 4 with 1 K in 2 games
Sept. 17th - 19th, 2022 - Went 0 for 7 with a walk and 2 Ks in 2 games
April 9th - 23rd, 2023 - Went 5 for 26, with 2 doubles, 1 walk and 8 Ks in 9 games
August 9th - 22nd, 2023 - Went 4 for 15, with 2 doubles, 1 home run, 4 walks and 6 Ks in 8 games
August 25th - 29th, 2023 - Went 1 for 7 with 1 walk and 4 Ks in 3 games
September 23rd, 2023 - Has gone 0 for 1, with 1 K in 2 games thus far

The dude just isn't getting a decent look. And the stretch in early/mid August he actually looked good. He needs regular playing time.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate losing to the Dogs, but have to remember a loss is probably a win at this point. Although with baseball drafts, it’s really a crapshoot. Dodgers have lost Bauer, goggles, Buehler and May and still are great. I hate it.
Hey, they didn't do any worse in LA than they did in Colorado. :L

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Padres won today, which means the two teams head into their midweek series tied in the division. Both are 2 games from elimination from the Wild Card. I wonder if both teams will play spoiler to each other or if the Padres manage to survive in the playoff hunt once the series is over.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And look where it has got us.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it. And you know I agree. When you look at this FO’s w/l record on their decisions, it just isn’t pretty. We are not in a position to complain about any single decision, but all the decisions as a whole have just been gawd awful.

But what REALLY gets me is the fact that these guys play unwatchable ball. No heart. No apparent effort. The Bonds teams didn’t win a lot, but they were fun to watch. There was a reason to go to the park. A reason to turn on the TV and watch. With his team, I found myself anticipating the end of the game so I could go do something else. That is BAD and ownership needs to address that.
But shouldn’t the manager address this and fix this unwatchable ball ? There is where I think it goes beyond the players. At this point I don’t think it will matter who we get to replace our voids. We have a much deeper problem than the players and I think the players know it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But shouldn’t the manager address this and fix this unwatchable ball ? There is where I think it goes beyond the players. At this point I don’t think it will matter who we get to replace our voids. We have a much deeper problem than the players and I think the players know it.
Of course it goes beyond the players. The players are not to blame. And Kap is hardly to blame either. He may agree with the strategy, but it is FZ who is implementing it and Kap is doing what is expected of him.

I don’t like him, but he is not the engineer of this train.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it goes beyond the players. The players are not to blame. And Kap is hardly to blame either. He may agree with the strategy, but it is FZ who is implementing it and Kap is doing what is expected of him.

I don’t like him, but he is not the engineer of this train.
So Kap doesn’t decide the lineup or the pitching changes ? No doubt the higher ups has a hand in the decisions for the trades and signings but the attitude and what seems the lack of direction comes from Kap and to a lesser degree the other coaches. I think it would be silly to think signing new players is going to change the wins for this team unless the new player (s) are leaders and the players follow them instead. If it is the hitting or pitching coach doesn’t Kap have a say in that or is that also only FZ making those decisions. I think it is both of them that have made this team to what they are. After Posey left the team became Mediocre.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Kap doesn’t decide the lineup or the pitching changes ? No doubt the higher ups has a hand in the decisions for the trades and signings but the attitude and what seems the lack of direction comes from Kap and to a lesser degree the other coaches. I think it would be silly to think signing new players is going to change the wins for this team unless the new player (s) are leaders and the players follow them instead. If it is the hitting or pitching coach doesn’t Kap have a say in that or is that also only FZ making those decisions. I think it is both of them that have made this team to what they are. After Posey left the team became Mediocre.
There was criticism about his managing style in Philadelphia. The expectation in 2018 and 2019 was supposed to be much better than the actual results. His managerial record currently stands at 455-408. Subtract 2021 and it is 348-353.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was criticism about his managing style in Philadelphia. The expectation in 2018 and 2019 was supposed to be much better than the actual results. His managerial record currently stands at 455-408. Subtract 2021 and it is 348-353.
So 2021 was a magical year :)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 2021 was a magical year :)
If you enjoyed it, more power to you.

Personally, I found little joy in it because it felt like a fraud. No part of it could be explained. I can sit and explain to you how the Giants won in ‘10, ‘12 and ‘14. Be beat the odds, but those were calculated, understandable odds that made sense. ‘21 made absolutely zero sense. I could not even begin to explain why the Giants won. And I don’t find joy or pleasure or happiness in feeling ignorant.