• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In tough times, let's look forward......

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Felix does get traded to a contender... It's gonna be a dam shame if he never sniffs the playoffs his entire career... If he stay's in Seattle that's most likely gonna be the case...
With players like Felix it is a true shame when we don't get to see them in a playoff setting and I would love to see him pitch in the playoffs soon, even if it isn't for the Mariners. It would be amazing if he got that chance for the Mariners but as we all know the Mariners are trash and likely to remain that way.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure any number of contenders would like to have him. But he wouldn't be a $25 million pitcher for any of them. He'd likely be an $18 million pitcher with the Mariners eating about $7 million a year on his deal.

Did you see what Cueto went for? Hamels? Price? Felix isn't going to fetch any more than those guys did.

Why not? There two big reasons reasons why a team should have to pay more for a pitcher like Felix...

He wouldn't be a rental like Cueto/Price potentially are, so the team trading for Felix would likely be getting a potential ace for a few years as opposed to 3 months.

And the remainder of his contract isn't bad at all (particularly if the Mariners eat some of it), considering the contract will be up before he's 35....so if he starts to go downhill in 2-3 years, his team won't be stuck with him for a ridiculously long term (like the Tigers with Verlander or Yankees with Sabathia).

Last edited:

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? There two big reasons reasons why a team should have to pay more for a pitcher like Felix...

He wouldn't be a rental like Cueto/Price potentially are, so the team trading for Felix would likely be getting a potential ace for a few years as opposed to 3 months.

And the remainder of his contract isn't bad at all (particularly if the Mariners eat some of it), considering the contract will be up before he's 35....so if he starts to go downhill in 2-3 years, his team won't be stuck with him for a ridiculously long term (like the Tigers with Verlander or Yankees with Sabathia).

Not true. Verlander's and Felix's contract expire the same year: 2019. Sabathia's expires after 2016.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. Verlander's and Felix's contract expire the same year: 2019. Sabathia's expires after 2016.

What I meant to say (probably phrased it poorly) was that those teams are likely stuck with their guys long after they're no longer good...

Verlander hasn't been any good in each of the past two seasons and the Tigers could potentially be stuck with 4 more years of that if he keeps pitching like this. As for CC, he's been crappy in 3 straight seasons and the Yankees are stuck with him 2 more years if his option for 2017 kicks in (which it will if he he doesn't miss significant time with a shoulder injury).

Whoever trades for Felix isn't going to be getting 5+ crappy seasons of Felix, considering his contract is only for 4 more years. Even if he's good for just 2 more years, the team trading for him would only have to deal with him for another 2 years, so it's not going to cripple a franchise.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I meant to say (probably phrased it poorly) was that those teams are likely stuck with their guys long after they're no longer good...

Verlander hasn't been any good in each of the past two seasons and the Tigers could potentially be stuck with 4 more years of that if he keeps pitching like this. As for CC, he's been crappy in 3 straight seasons and the Yankees are stuck with him 2 more years if his option for 2017 kicks in (which it will if he he doesn't miss significant time with a shoulder injury).

Whoever trades for Felix isn't going to be getting 5+ crappy seasons of Felix, considering his contract is only for 4 more years. Even if he's good for just 2 more years, the team trading for him would only have to deal with him for another 2 years, so it's not going to cripple a franchise.
Verlander is fucking Kate Upton. He has an excuse to pitch poorly. If I was fucking Kate Upton, I wouldn't be good for much else either.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this talk of trading Felix takes me back to when we traded RJ, and how it came full circle when he ended up in the HOF a D'BAG! NO, we have had to live this nightmare once before and I really don't want to see Felix in the HOF a BlueJay or Tiger. Randy was 34 at the time, Felix is only 29 and still has IT. We need to keep this guy, AND FIRE EVERYONE ELSE! Enough with the surprise/under the radar hirings, it's time we land a respected name in the game to lead us. Maybe we pry away Larussa to be GM, or somehow make a deal to take Billy Bean from Oaktown. I don't, grow some balls management!!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this talk of trading Felix takes me back to when we traded RJ, and how it came full circle when he ended up in the HOF a D'BAG! NO, we have had to live this nightmare once before and I really don't want to see Felix in the HOF a BlueJay or Tiger. Randy was 34 at the time, Felix is only 29 and still has IT. We need to keep this guy, AND FIRE EVERYONE ELSE! Enough with the surprise/under the radar hirings, it's time we land a respected name in the game to lead us. Maybe we pry away Larussa to be GM, or somehow make a deal to take Billy Bean from Oaktown. I don't, grow some balls management!!

Though I think RJ is the best pitcher in M's history, his trade did work out. Not only did we get 3 serviceable (Garcia being more than serviceable) players, it also got us Felix. So I can live with it though he is still my favorite.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though I think RJ is the best pitcher in M's history, his trade did work out. Not only did we get 3 serviceable (Garcia being more than serviceable) players, it also got us Felix. So I can live with it though he is still my favorite.

Would've rather had the 4 Cy Youngs he put up with the D'Backs.

Silly to argue in hindsight though, nobody could've guessed that from 1999-2002 at ages 35-38 he would have put up an average of 350 fucking strikeouts a year, let alone win 4 straight Cy Young awards. I'd be stunned if that ever happens again in baseball history. 372 strikeouts at age 37, absolutely mind blowing.

I mean even at age 40 he put up a season with a 2.60 ERA and 290 Ks in 245 innings. That is just incredible.

Mariners would've been better off with him (IMO), but there is no way anyone could've expected that kind of performance from him at that age.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Silly to argue in hindsight though, nobody could've guessed that from 1999-2002 at ages 35-38 he would have put up an average of 350 fucking strikeouts a year, let alone win 4 straight Cy Young awards. I'd be stunned if that ever happens again in baseball history. 372 strikeouts at age 37, absolutely mind blowing.

I mean even at age 40 he put up a season with a 2.60 ERA and 290 Ks in 245 innings. That is just incredible.

Mariners would've been better off with him (IMO), but there is no way anyone could've expected that kind of performance from him at that age.

even if keeping him meant never getting felix?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even if keeping him meant never getting felix?

No, but Freddy Garcia was just one of the reasons that Felix chose the Mariners. There were other factors as well. Would Felix have signed with the Mariners if Garcia didn't pitch for us? Maybe, maybe not. I say he probably still would have, but it's tough to be sure.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but Freddy Garcia was just one of the reasons that Felix chose the Mariners. There were other factors as well. Would Felix have signed with the Mariners if Garcia didn't pitch for us? Maybe, maybe not. I say he probably still would have, but it's tough to be sure.

he said garcia was the reason he chose us over yankees.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, then no.

it just makes the debate, after the fact, more interesting. but truth is, if rj stays we still don't win championship because of cheap ass ownership.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It won't happen again as long as they have somewhat effective roids screening. IMO, there is little doubt that RJ was on roids and HGH during those years and probably most of his career after 1996. Funny how most fo the pitchers, other than Clemens got a free pass during the big roids outings 10 years ago. Nolan Ryan was probably roided up too. What those two guys did was not normal. A player's prime is typically between ages 26-34 and a fastball pitcher's arm ages faster than those pitchers who rely more on location than speed.