• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm Looking to Buy a Handgun

WPDAWG08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
women,,,lol

the configuration of the weapon is very safe and for a novice it would be a good choice

I am thinking of the 9mm that was adopted by the military in the 90s to adapt to the increase in female troops.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think I was being nasty,,,I just don't want to see someone hurt,,,and yes a Glock has many different models,,,,me I don't like them so I wouldn't recommend one to anyone if a Glock is what you are interested in I can't help you

Ok. Not interested in any one type. You guys claim you know guns. I believe that. Therefore I want to tap your knowledge. Since you don't like Glocks, then what do you recommend?

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a couple 9s (G19, Kahr CM9) because they're easier to carry/conceal, I usually keep one in the car, too. They're also cheaper to shoot. I've got a Remington 870 (shotgun) for the house that would be my go-to if something bad happened (hope it never does).

If I was in your situation, and wanted a pistol just for home defense, I would just get a 1911 .45. A well-known and reliable brand there is Springfield Armory. The 1911 is distinguished by the angle between the grip and the rest of the frame. If you were in the army in the 60s, that's probably what you shot. The barrel lengths are different - 5" might be best for the home. Only drawback here is that I believe the full size 1911's hold 7+1 (7 in mag, 1 in the pipe) - but 8 rounds of .45 will probably be enough for most situations.

I did shoot a .45 a few times in Germany during a training session. That in addition to an M-14 and a M-16 in Vietnam. I'll save your recommendations to a word file I started.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get a shotgun like the VP says. It will do you better for home defense. I would use number 4's and double OO buckshot and just rotate the shells. You might also want to go double OO and slugs.

BTW: Don't get a Glock unless you are very serious about learning to use the cot damn thing. If not your more likely to kill yourself with it or someone else. Sorry I'm former LE and I have seen a lot of idiots who should never own a Glock. If you must buy a pistol then get a S&W M&P .40 cal or 9mm.

Well I am serious about learning to shoot it. I'm tired of being laughed at, at the gun range because of what my gun looks like. I shoot well with it, but a lot of other shooters claim what I own is great for killing cats but not criminals.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
I want more stopping power, more shots but not more than 10, and I'm looking for something that looks a lot more "scary" to a potential criminal.

A criminal is not wondering what caliber the gun pointed at him is, the bullet will penetrate his body. Go to the range and try a few. Anything 9mm is a real good choice.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got oscar blocked so I can't see what he asking . I would recommend a Beretta 92FS in 40 cal. That pistol has a safety and it is double action with a long trigger pull for the first shot.

I shoot the weapon I own about twice a year and do rather well on the gun range. I just feel it's time to upgrade. I bought my current weapon in 1988 or 89.

Last edited by a moderator:

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oscar,,,,,,,,,if you really want to strike fear into a thief's heart go with a pump shot gun,,,,they all know what the pump sounds like when you cycle a round and a thief wants no part of that

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Others have made good replies and all are valid. I prefer my Glock 19 as my main personal defense gun with Hornady hollow points.. As GrayGhost mentioned Glocks do not really have a safety though. I would consider myself a above average shooter. I am not worried about the non safety issue and in fact prefer it like that. If I pull my gun it is for a reason. I dont wanna be messing with some safety. Seconds count.

I guess it all depends on what your comfort level is with guns. Nothing wrong with any of the weapons mentioned. It all depends on you really.

Yes they do.

What’s important with that time is what you do with it. We have no idea how he, we or anyone else will react in a situation where one must use a gun to defend themselves unless you have been trained continually on how to react to a threat. In the case of home defense the home owner should have ample time to take a safety off due to the house being somewhat defensible by design.

Having that added bit of safety is a wonderful thing because the gun owner must slow things down in their mind and focus on what they are doing. (They are not trained to react like a soldiers or LE.) This also gives them time to decide whether the perceived threat is real or whether it is a family member getting up for a snack. Just my thoughts….

BadMotoWeazal

Got Dirt?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oscar,,,,,,,,,if you really want to strike fear into a thief's heart go with a pump shot gun,,,,they all know what the pump sounds like when you cycle a round and a thief wants no part of that

This.... There is nothing more scary than hearing that action in the dark. I have a Remington 870 pump riot shot gun that is my weapon of choice for the crib.

this is just like mine, 7 shots when you have one already in the chamber.

870marine_mag-prod.ashx

For a little extra it can look like this.....

images

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I am serious about learning to shoot it. I'm tired of being laughed at, at the gun range because of what my gun looks like. I shoot well with it, but a lot of other shooters claim what I own is great for killing cats but not criminals.

Ok. What kind of firearm make, model and cal. do you own. Give me something to work with. If you can kill a cat with it, you can kill a bad guy too.

Oscar, Have you thought about making your home and landscape more defensible in addition to buying a firearm?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
A criminal is not wondering what caliber the gun pointed at him is, the bullet will penetrate his body. Go to the range and try a few. Anything 9mm is a real good choice.

THIS. Cheap to buy, cheap to shoot, and prob the most common mid caliber hand gun.

*couldnt believe the price difference in 9mm and 40cal.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I always tell people that a short barreled 410 is great for home protection.

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More than likely the only real advice that we can give to Oscar would be to get whatever he is comfortable with. I would recommend going to the range and using a "try" gun first before buying one. Good luck and be safe.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The wife won't let me buy a rifle.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. What kind of firearm make, model and cal. do you own. Give me something to work with. If you can kill a cat with it, you can kill a bad guy too.

Oscar, Have you thought about making your home and landscape more defensible in addition to buying a firearm?

38 automatic.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More than likely the only real advice that we can give to Oscar would be to get whatever he is comfortable with. I would recommend going to the range and using a "try" gun first before buying one. Good luck and be safe.

The "try" gun I assume is available at a range and not the gun dealer?