• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm Looking to Buy a Handgun

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking to buy a 2nd handgun. Like everything else, what you own gets old over time.

I'm not going to get into what I own now, but I'm serious about updating what I have in my house.

The gun is strictly for home protection. I have no desire to have a concealed gun permit.

I'm looking for something with a clip of say 10 rounds. I would say the maximum price would be $800-1000.

I know very little about handguns and don't know if my price is too high or too low.

It seems like a lot of people have knowledge of guns on this board, so that's why I'm asking.

There will be no arguing since I lack the knowledge to do so. This is not about gun control.

Serious thread. Suggestions?

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think so,,,anyone who knows as little about handguns as oscar needs something with as many safeties on it as possible and a glock only has one,,,,keep your finger off the trigger,,,,,with a glock he may shoot himself or someone else getting it out of the holster

grayghost668

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking to buy a 2nd handgun. Like everything else, what you own gets old over time.

I'm not going to get into what I own now, but I'm serious about updating what I have in my house.

The gun is strictly for home protection. I have no desire to have a concealed gun permit.

I'm looking for something with a clip of say 10 rounds. I would say the maximum price would be $800-1000.

I know very little about handguns and don't know if my price is too high or too low.

It seems like a lot of people have knowledge of guns on this board, so that's why I'm asking.

There will be no arguing since I lack the knowledge to do so. This is not about gun control.

Serious thread. Suggestions?

now what do you want,,,a revolver or a semi-auto

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so,,,anyone who knows as little about handguns as oscar needs something with as many safeties on it as possible and a glock only has one,,,,keep your finger off the trigger,,,,,with a glock he may shoot himself or someone else getting it out of the holster

I handle a gun pretty well. Just don't know much about them. Can we skip the nasty remarks.

BTW, dosen't the Glock have different models?

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What caliber do you have right now?

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You looking to up the stopping power of your current handgun?

What is it you want to "change" or spice up?

grayghost668

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I handle a gun pretty well. Just don't know much about them. Can we skip the nasty remarks.

I didn't think I was being nasty,,,I just don't want to see someone hurt,,,and yes a Glock has many different models,,,,me I don't like them so I wouldn't recommend one to anyone if a Glock is what you are interested in I can't help you

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.40 is a very good cal for home protection.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have a couple 9s (G19, Kahr CM9) because they're easier to carry/conceal, I usually keep one in the car, too. They're also cheaper to shoot. I've got a Remington 870 (shotgun) for the house that would be my go-to if something bad happened (hope it never does).

If I was in your situation, and wanted a pistol just for home defense, I would just get a 1911 .45. A well-known and reliable brand there is Springfield Armory. The 1911 is distinguished by the angle between the grip and the rest of the frame. If you were in the army in the 60s, that's probably what you shot. The barrel lengths are different - 5" might be best for the home. Only drawback here is that I believe the full size 1911's hold 7+1 (7 in mag, 1 in the pipe) - but 8 rounds of .45 will probably be enough for most situations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get a shotgun like the VP says. It will do you better for home defense. I would use number 4's and double OO buckshot and just rotate the shells. You might also want to go double OO and slugs.

BTW: Don't get a Glock unless you are very serious about learning to use the cot damn thing. If not your more likely to kill yourself with it or someone else. Sorry I'm former LE and I have seen a lot of idiots who should never own a Glock. If you must buy a pistol then get a S&W M&P .40 cal or 9mm.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Others have made good replies and all are valid. I prefer my Glock 19 as my main personal defense gun with Hornady hollow points.. As GrayGhost mentioned Glocks do not really have a safety though. I would consider myself a above average shooter. I am not worried about the non safety issue and in fact prefer it like that. If I pull my gun it is for a reason. I dont wanna be messing with some safety. Seconds count.

I guess it all depends on what your comfort level is with guns. Nothing wrong with any of the weapons mentioned. It all depends on you really.

WPDAWG08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want stopping power you must at least get a .45 or larger imo. Glock 21 sf(slim frame) was my last purchase. I love it and it only cost 500 bucks.

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got oscar blocked so I can't see what he asking . I would recommend a Beretta 92FS in 40 cal. That pistol has a safety and it is double action with a long trigger pull for the first shot.

WPDAWG08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got oscar blocked so I can't see what he asking and I have very little faith in his personal skills due to his actions on SportsHoopla. Due to that I would recommend a Beretta 92FS in 40 cal. That pistol has a safety and it is double action with a long trigger pull for the first shot.

That gun was made for women??

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You looking to up the stopping power of your current handgun?

What is it you want to "change" or spice up?

I want more stopping power, more shots but not more than 10, and I'm looking for something that looks a lot more "scary" to a potential criminal.