• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If you were building a team for the next decade...

Which player would you take to build a franchise for the next ten years?

• Kawhi

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Giannis

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple question/poll - Which player would you take if you were building a team for the next ten years?

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Giannis because he's younger and has more upside as a playmaker...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giannis, Towns, Porzingis, Davis, Simmons are five of the immediate guys that come to mind for me.

IF you could guarantee me he was healthy- it would be Embiid without a second thought.

neither Fultz nor Ball is on that list. Just so hard to effect the game hugely from the PG position. Plus both guys have some warts--- Ball is basically Jason Kidd without the defense----- amazing vision and passing, great size, but a poor outside shot and zero D. Fultz just isnt a dominate enough athlete like a Wall or Rose when they first came out.

My dark horse is Booker from the Suns. He seems to be the games best young SG. Id take Booker over Wiggins at this point.

Kawhi is interesting since hes not that old yet--- but it does take him into his mid thirties. Hes the only real contemporary star who is still young enough to be a solid consideration i think.

its scary to think the Sixers have 3 guys who would be in the top 15--- Fultz, Embiid, Simmons.

Last edited:

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good poll. Went with the 3 yrs. younger Giannis.

ManuForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kawhi is the better player right now, so I would take him. But I definitely see the argument for Giannis being younger.

Also, OP, do you have something against Kawhi? I've seen you debate strongly against Kawhi being better than Russ (which he has an argument to be), and now this poll. Although this poll could be a simple question and just me overthinking it. My apologies if it's the latter.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kawhi. He's already had so much tutelage under Pop that carries significant value imo. He's already the best perimeter defender in the game. He's a very good outside shooter and has improved at getting to the rim and with his handle too.

The reason I would pick Kawhi over Giannis is because I believe Kawhi's game makes it easier for you to really build a championship caliber team in may different ways whereas Giannis will require specific types of teammates. If I'm a GM, I choose a guy who's had success at the highest level and gives me the greatest flexibility to build around.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kawhi. He's already had so much tutelage under Pop that carries significant value imo. He's already the best perimeter defender in the game. He's a very good outside shooter and has improved at getting to the rim and with his handle too.

The reason I would pick Kawhi over Giannis is because I believe Kawhi's game makes it easier for you to really build a championship caliber team in may different ways whereas Giannis will require specific types of teammates. If I'm a GM, I choose a guy who's had success at the highest level and gives me the greatest flexibility to build around.
Agreed. The 4 age year difference is the only thing that gave me pause, but I'd still take Kawhi.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if you opened it up- i think youd have to consider Towns, Davis and Embiid as well...

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you opened it up- i think youd have to consider Towns, Davis and Embiid as well...

If you did open it up, Kawhi I think would still be my #1. However, I think I'd choose KAT and AD also over Giannis. Again comes down to my ability to build a surrounding cast around each to maximize their potential. If I had Giannis, I would use him as a PG, and put another ball handling SG next to him, but one that could also shoot the 3.

With Towns and AD both being able to step out to hit the mid range, both having solid inside out games and both being pretty good passers and ball handlers, you could go in any number of ways in trying to put a championship caliber roster around them. Their games are so versatile.

Embiid would be a distant 5th due to injury concerns of those 5. I might even consider Porzingas and Jokic over Embiid at this point. His talent and skill set it phenomenal though.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JaVale fuckin McGee y'all!

j/k Kawhi

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree.

Kawhi is still pretty young. He has not even reached his prime and he is in the conversation for best player in the league. Giannis could someday get there too, but he isn't yet. Since we are looking at the next 10 years, Kawhi is going to be elite for the next 6-8. I am just not sure 10 years of Giannis is worth more than 10 years of Kawhi.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giannis, Towns, Porzingis, Davis, Simmons are five of the immediate guys that come to mind for me.

IF you could guarantee me he was healthy- it would be Embiid without a second thought.

neither Fultz nor Ball is on that list. Just so hard to effect the game hugely from the PG position. Plus both guys have some warts--- Ball is basically Jason Kidd without the defense----- amazing vision and passing, great size, but a poor outside shot and zero D. Fultz just isnt a dominate enough athlete like a Wall or Rose when they first came out.

My dark horse is Booker from the Suns. He seems to be the games best young SG. Id take Booker over Wiggins at this point.

Kawhi is interesting since hes not that old yet--- but it does take him into his mid thirties. Hes the only real contemporary star who is still young enough to be a solid consideration i think.

its scary to think the Sixers have 3 guys who would be in the top 15--- Fultz, Embiid, Simmons.

Hard to impact the game as a PG?

Curry, Westbrook and Harden are all consensus top 6 players and have won the last 3 MVPs. Paul, Wall and Lillard are in that next tier of 6-8 guys. That doesn't even consider guys like Kyrie and IT.

Two way wings are usually more impactful for sure (LeBron, Kawhi, KD and someday Giannis). I am also not ready to anoint Ball and Fultz until I see what they can do in actual NBA games. But your PG comment is not correct.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to impact the game as a PG?

Curry, Westbrook and Harden are all consensus top 6 players and have won the last 3 MVPs. Paul, Wall and Lillard are in that next tier of 6-8 guys. That doesn't even consider guys like Kyrie and IT.

Two way wings are usually more impactful for sure (LeBron, Kawhi, KD and someday Giannis). I am also not ready to anoint Ball and Fultz until I see what they can do in actual NBA games. But your PG comment is not correct.
In the history of the NBA - what teams have won a championship building around a PG?

I can think of 3-- Isiah Thomas, Steph and Magic---- and Steph and Magic each had/have multiple other hall of famers around them that were arguably just as good as they are or close to.

For the next 10 years is their a PG in the league you would consider building your franchise around over Kawhi, Giannis, --- or even Towns, Davis, Embiid (if healthy--- and if healthy- hes my #1 without much of a 2nd thought).

this answer is of course no.

I dont think a PG would even be top 10 on my list to build around for the next 10 years simply because- as i said- through out the history of the NBA its incredibly rare for a PG to be the best player on a championship team.

you dont need to coach pee wee basketball to know that.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you did open it up, Kawhi I think would still be my #1. However, I think I'd choose KAT and AD also over Giannis. Again comes down to my ability to build a surrounding cast around each to maximize their potential. If I had Giannis, I would use him as a PG, and put another ball handling SG next to him, but one that could also shoot the 3.

With Towns and AD both being able to step out to hit the mid range, both having solid inside out games and both being pretty good passers and ball handlers, you could go in any number of ways in trying to put a championship caliber roster around them. Their games are so versatile.

Embiid would be a distant 5th due to injury concerns of those 5. I might even consider Porzingas and Jokic over Embiid at this point. His talent and skill set it phenomenal though.
Kyrie would be a RIDICULOUS fit with Giannis.....Giannis would supply the D and the size and the all around game--- Kyrie the scoring. That would be a fun back court to watch.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the history of the NBA - what teams have won a championship building around a PG?

I can think of 3-- Isiah Thomas, Steph and Magic---- and Steph and Magic each had/have multiple other hall of famers around them that were arguably just as good as they are or close to.

For the next 10 years is their a PG in the league you would consider building your franchise around over Kawhi, Giannis, --- or even Towns, Davis, Embiid (if healthy--- and if healthy- hes my #1 without much of a 2nd thought).

this answer is of course no.

I dont think a PG would even be top 10 on my list to build around for the next 10 years simply because- as i said- through out the history of the NBA its incredibly rare for a PG to be the best player on a championship team.

you dont need to coach pee wee basketball to know that.

Why do feel the need to go there with the last line? I laid out my credentials on the other thread. That is literally why I had you on ignore and why most here can't stand you. You make everything personal. Just like your boy Hurricane. You can't help yourself.

The point is that in the NBA today, the PG is more important and more relevant than ever before. You can't look at history because until recently the game has been dominated by big men. The exact opposite is true today.

Would I choose a young PG over Giannis, AD or KAT? Well, you could make the case that Giannis is a PG. but no. I said before that I would take a great 2 way wing over a great big man or a great PG. I don't see a young PG that is great, at least not yet, but if one of those guys emerges they could possibly end up being better than all those other guys. Towns and Davis are already the best big men in the NBA, like Kawhi is already a top 3 overall player.

2 way wings are where it is at. For the next 10 years, the top 3 players to build around are Kawhi, Giannis and KD. So yes, I am taking KD over those bigs because the next 5 years for him will be superlative. And it is easier to build around a great wing.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do feel the need to go there with the last line? I laid out my credentials on the other thread. That is literally why I had you on ignore and why most here can't stand you. You make everything personal. Just like your boy Hurricane. You can't help yourself.

The point is that in the NBA today, the PG is more important and more relevant than ever before. You can't look at history because until recently the game has been dominated by big men. The exact opposite is true today.

Would I choose a young PG over Giannis, AD or KAT? Well, you could make the case that Giannis is a PG. but no. I said before that I would take a great 2 way wing over a great big man or a great PG. I don't see a young PG that is great, at least not yet, but if one of those guys emerges they could possibly end up being better than all those other guys. Towns and Davis are already the best big men in the NBA, like Kawhi is already a top 3 overall player.

2 way wings are where it is at. For the next 10 years, the top 3 players to build around are Kawhi, Giannis and KD. So yes, I am taking KD over those bigs because the next 5 years for him will be superlative. And it is easier to build around a great wing.
lol, when you say KD I have to think you mean Kevin Durant- the guy who will turn 29 before the next NBA season starts.

5 years from now he will be 34 and his decline will have already started- just as it will be for 'Bron soon.

I couldnt pick a guy who will start his decline likely before even the halfway point of the 10 year time frame.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just think its funny that you think coaching children qualifies you in some special way to comment on the NBA.

Its akin to the guy who played high school football acting like he knows what he is talking about in regards to the NFL.

Usually those guys are old sad bastards not willing to let go of the glory days and somehow think their experience is relevant to professional sports and gives them some special insight- which it doesn't- not even in the slightest.

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think its funny that you think coaching children qualifies you in some special way to comment on the NBA.

Its akin to the guy who played high school football acting like he knows what he is talking about in regards to the NFL. Usually those guys are old sad bastards not willing to let go of the glory days and somehow think their experience is relevant to professional sports and gives them some special insight- which its not- not even in the slightest.

shut the fuck up