• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"I'd quit watching hockey if they took out fighting."

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

If more and more current and former players come out with this same opinion, I think the league should address it. As long as the players are informed of the risks, and are OK with it, then so be it. Hey, I don't like the designated roster spot for a figther (who are more inclined to take repeated head shots)... but I doubt DP has brain damage from getting punched by Johnson.

If you are really concerned about brain damage, stop all hitting period. Play tag football, and boxers should pillow fight.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always contended that professional wrestlers are fantastic athletes, whether or not it is considered a sport. Even if it looked at as entertainment, these guys are serious athletes. I had a friend in grade school and high school who ended up being the WWF (I think) for a while. We lost touch, but he worked out much harder than those of us on the football team, for sure. His name was Adam Birch. Quiet kid, but really nice. I do not know what name he wrestled as. An old friend mentioned that he had made it big, so I assume WWF.

If I remember correctly his ring name should be Joey Matthews (Mercury in the WWE), who was once released for drug problems but got his life back in order and returned. But yea, you know how hard these guys work and I know how hard I worked from my short time in an indy fed too so to see everything called "fake" until something horrible happens really irks.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how is it illogical to want to protect your star player? ... all players have different roles on a hockey team and its always been this way ... As a teammate you want your star player to succeed because his talent can take your team places

i wonder what kind of player OV could have been in a pre instigator era where he wouldnt have to be dodging knees from the likes of Matt Cooke types because they would have been put in there place by guys policing themselves

Tkachuk and Roenick only got to play a few years without the instigator ... what would there careers have been like if they could have focused on their immense talent

btw ... dinnertime so Ill let you have the last word

and eloco ... you can stop pm'ing me lovely messages

I guess this is unique to hockey. In football, for example, where size differences are much more heightened, you do not see an offensive linemen throw off his helmet and all out box with a linebacker after his star player (quarterback) get's hit from the blindside. I get that it is unique to hockey and somewhat entrenched in it's fabric, but when you step aside and really look at it for a second, it seems pretty damn barbaric.

just wanted to get back in on this one even though its stale dated from yesterday

i dont think what used to go on was barbaric at all ... maybe to some outsiders but when you do take a step back and think about what you used to see (not just take a snap judgement of the "visual"), you see its steeped in honour and respect

in terms of fighting, what we have now is frivolous and gratuitous, heavyweight on heavyweight right after a puck drop, because a Matt Cooke type threw a dirty hit and wouldnt answer the bell???

Last night I heard something from Oiler rookie Taylor Hall post game after his fight. "There comes a time when you have to. There's nothing wrong with stepping up and trying to defend yourself because eventually if you keep getting hit and people keep coming in for you, it's not a great feeling to be the guy that keeps on being rescued." Admirable, but 20 friggen years ago, he didnt need to answer the bell and he wouldnt have felt this emotion ... all he needed to do was focus on scoring goals and making plays

heard a radio interview with Keith Primeau yesterday talking about his brain injuries and when asked about the level of respect in todays hockey he talked about how much different hockey became when he compares the day he broke in to the NHL and the day he was "pushed" out

he said 2 things changed

1. the size and speed of players (ok thats 2 things right there)

2. respect ... when he broke in he said he remembers playing one of his first games at MLG and being fearful ... scared ... not of being injured by a blindside hit ... but of what would happen if he rubbed Vinnie Damphousse the wrong way and he would have to answer to Kevin Maguire or even Wendel Clark ... guys played with respect because they knew they would have to answer the bell

he said now there is no fear at all ... guys can throw reckless hits and hide behind a referree enforcing a rule

this is a guy who had his career ended by cumulative head shots and yet he wants the instigator gone

I have compassion for these guys who suffer brain injuries ... but it is their game ... and their game cant be compared to the game you might have played if it was a no fight league

the saddest part of that interview was when asked if he fears for his future, Primeau said he lived for today but hes coming to terms with the notion that
when "it" truly starts for him "it will probably be a fast decline"

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw ... dinnertime so Ill let you have the last word

but of what would happen if he rubbed Vinnie Damphousse the wrong way and he would have to answer to Kevin Maguire or even Wendel Clark ."

What was for dinner?

Debate over, decisive point made with a timely strategic mention of the great Vincent Damphousse.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was for dinner?

Debate over, decisive point made with a timely strategic mention of the great Vincent Damphousse.

my wife came up golden with a very tasty breaded Cod in butter sauce even after I complained that the night befores shrimp casserole was too greasy

that went over well

/probably too much mercury in my diet

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. respect ... when he broke in he said he remembers playing one of his first games at MLG and being fearful ... scared ... not of being injured by a blindside hit ... but of what would happen if he rubbed Vinnie Damphousse the wrong way and he would have to answer to Kevin Maguire or even Wendel Clark ... guys played with respect because they knew they would have to answer the bell

he said now there is no fear at all ... guys can throw reckless hits and hide behind a referree enforcing a rule
I have no dog in this fight (heh), as I see and respect both sides of the issue. This brings to light 2 points:

1. The instigator rule by itself is detrimental to the sport in general (no more fear of reprisal for making reckless or cheap shots).

2. The lack of any serious and consistent fines and/or suspensions for most of the thuggery also adds to the "no fear" factor.

So, if fighting is phased out of the NHL, then both points above MUST be strictly adhered to for it to work, or if fighting remains, then the instigator rule MUST go and the fighting MUST go back to the honor and respect aspect it had 20 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no dog in this fight (heh), as I see and respect both sides of the issue. This beings to light 2 points:

1. The instigator rule by itself is detrimental to the sport in general (no more fear of reprisal for making reckless or cheap shots).

2. The lack of any serious and consistent fines and/or suspensions for most of the thuggery also adds to the "no fear" factor.

So, if fighting is phased out of the NHL, then both points above MUST be strictly adhered to for it to work, or if fighting remains, then the instigator rule MUST go and the fighting MUST go back to the honor and respect aspect it had 20 years ago.

adding to your bolded point ... I heard that there is an option for players to actually take out "fine insurance" to protect themselves from loss of income

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but Matt Cooke was rejected for having a "pre-existing condition".
lol, I was in the middle of my reply when I saw this, basically the same joke I was about to make, except to say "Cooke, Gillies and others". :)