• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I wish we could draft Kony Ealy but he wont be there

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean get a second for moving down, like we did last year? Lol

Jerry is not capable.

If people would take a moment they'd realize that at the time of the trade, SF's primary target Vacarro and Dallas targets an OLman were all off the board. Dallas desire to trade down grew while SF desire subsided. Both teams chose to wait on the until they knew if their guy was still there. If Vacarro was still there SF probably gives fair trade value.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If people would take a moment they'd realize that at the time of the trade, SF's primary target vacarro and Dallas targets an OLman were all off the board. Dallas desire to trade down grew while SF desire subsided. Both teams chose to wait on the until they knew if their guy was still there. If Vacarro was still there SF probably gives fair trade value.

Are you honestly trying to defend Jerry? Say what you want about how it all played out, but Jerry most definitely came out the loser on that one. And who is to say Eric Reid wasnt SF's target all along? I can recall several draft experts saying they coveted him. And as much as I like Travis Frederick, Reid would have been a fine pick for Dallas in the first.

Remember, the offense has never been the real problem with this team. The one year Dallas had a dominant D (2009) we happened to win a playoff game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you honestly trying to defend Jerry? Say what you want about how it all played out, but Jerry most definitely came out the loser on that one. And who is to say Eric Reid wasnt SF's target all along? I can recall several draft experts saying they coveted him. And as much as I like Travis Frederick, Reid would have been a fine pick for Dallas in the first.

Remember, the offense has never been the real problem with this team. The one year Dallas had a dominant D (2009) we happened to win a playoff game.

It's not defending defending Jerry. If you think about it going into the draft Last season. Church was having a very nice year before his season ending injury and there was hope with the other safeties for the FS spot. Yes in hindsight S should have been a higher priority than it was but the OL was and should have been the#1 need. By the trade chart we were robbed, but if your trade partner doesn't have a great need to move up he will offer less. SF may have thought they could get Reid at 31, and if not take another position. Dallas needed the trade more hence the lower value. It was no secret Dallas needed OL above all else.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not defending defending Jerry. If you think about it going into the draft Last season. Church was having a very nice year before his season ending injury and there was hope with the other safeties for the FS spot. Yes in hindsight S should have been a higher priority than it was but the OL was and should have been the#1 need. By the trade chart we were robbed, but if your trade partner doesn't have a great need to move up he will offer less. SF may have thought they could get Reid at 31, and if not take another position. Dallas needed the trade more hence the lower value. It was no secret Dallas needed OL above all else.

there were just too many good players available to justify the trade down and Frederick would have probably been there when we came up in the 2nd

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If people would take a moment they'd realize that at the time of the trade, SF's primary target Vacarro and Dallas targets an OLman were all off the board. Dallas desire to trade down grew while SF desire subsided. Both teams chose to wait on the until they knew if their guy was still there. If Vacarro was still there SF probably gives fair trade value.

We got bent over and when we came up for air, we got bent over again in that trade. We lucked out with Frederick (who I still say there was WAY more likely to be there for our 2nd pick than not) but that doesn't justify how badly we were ripped off and that is why everyone in our war room was dumbfounded...well, except Jerry and Stephen who thought it was 'high five time'...

I remember reading an article (I'm pretty sure on the DMN website) about how we had a very long meeting on this exact same topic of what we would and wouldn't accept in return from SF with a trade there and everyone in the war room agreed and was at that previous meeting except for Jones #1 and Jones #2 who were at (I think) a funeral or a fund raiser or something they had to jet around the Country the day before the draft for. The decision made in that meeting and the decision on draft day were drastically different.

IMO, we have proven we are too dumb to be trusted with trades. We may come out ahead (well maybe even) once in a while, but I just don't think it is often enough to make the trades. There are great players at all draft spots. Put your top 16 on a piece of paper and pick from the ones that are left when it's your turn unless something really unexpected happens or an incredible offer comes up.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We have needed a safety for a long time. Going into last years draft Church had started 3 NFL games. The other guys we had were McCray who played and was horrible and Johnson who never played an NFL snap. I disagree that safety was anything other than an absolutely HUGE need last April, as it is this May and was in April of 2012 and 2011, etc...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have needed a safety for a long time. Going into last years draft Church had started 3 NFL games. The other guys we had were McCray who played and was horrible and Johnson who never played an NFL snap. I disagree that safety was anything other than an absolutely HUGE need last April, as it is this May and was in April of 2012 and 2011, etc...

safety was as big a need as center and has been for some time now.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there were just too many good players available to justify the trade down and Frederick would have probably been there when we came up in the 2nd

Frederick very well nay have been there but we will never know. What was known is OL was the biggest need. As the Draft progressed and OLmen were scooped up Dallas had less options. I remember most here thinking we'd take Warford before the trade and most of us would have been happy. But in hindsight that would have been wrong considering he went in the 3rd round. IMO the trade was the right thing to do but I do wish we had gotten more in the deal.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Brent could possibly get probation. I wonder if Jerrah brings him back if he gets off? I think that would be a mistake.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the guys I really liked was Warford. I was very upset when Jerrah took Escobar instead of Warford.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frederick very well nay have been there but we will never know. What was known is OL was the biggest need. As the Draft progressed and OLmen were scooped up Dallas had less options. I remember most here thinking we'd take Warford before the trade and most of us would have been happy. But in hindsight that would have been wrong considering he went in the 3rd round. IMO the trade was the right thing to do but I do wish we had gotten more in the deal.

Would have been wrong? Didn't he win NFC Offensive Rookie of the Year?

Funny thing about Warford was that EVERYONE here wanted him...chalk one up for the message board guys over the Cowboys GM. I remember reading Broaddus tweeting all day on day one of the draft (he kept getting asked) saying we won't be taking Warford because he wasn't even on our draft board. Still a head scratcher...IMO That was a case of outsmarting ourselves and thinking he wouldn't fit our system. I still say good players can for the most part play in any system...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Brent could possibly get probation. I wonder if Jerrah brings him back if he gets off? I think that would be a mistake.

I agree. He sure would fill that 1 Tech need and fill it cheaply. But I too hope we pass...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still looking for a cowboy fan that liked the escobar pick in round two.

it was always OL and safety OR safety and Oline for me and for multiple years now

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Safety has been an even bigger need. The offense has been a top 10 over the past several seasons - you could even argue top 5. And yet, it seems like every 3 drafts out of four are dominated by offensive picks. The one year they go defense, they screw it up by making a major trade up for Claiborne - that guy looks like a bust.

I'm getting off topic, but my point is they haven't ever made a real effort to truly replace Darren Woodson. Not since Roy Williams has a high pick been spent on a safety.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No argument, but like I said earlier Church did look good before his injury ended his season, and Jerry was high on his project FS Johnson.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Funny thing about Warford was that EVERYONE here wanted him...chalk one up for the message board guys over the Cowboys GM. I remember reading Broaddus tweeting all day on day one of the draft (he kept getting asked) saying we won't be taking Warford because he wasn't even on our draft board. Still a head scratcher...IMO That was a case of outsmarting ourselves and thinking he wouldn't fit our system. I still say good players can for the most part play in any system...

I mean it would have been wrong considering he went in the 3rd. We message board guys went ballistic when Jerry took the TE over him in the 2nd. Hell I was giddy as a school girl when I thought we got a C and a G.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Safety has been an even bigger need. The offense has been a top 10 over the past several seasons - you could even argue top 5. And yet, it seems like every 3 drafts out of four are dominated by offensive picks. The one year they go defense, they screw it up by making a major trade up for Claiborne - that guy looks like a bust.

I'm getting off topic, but my point is they haven't ever made a real effort to truly replace Darren Woodson. Not since Roy Williams has a high pick been spent on a safety.

safety and center have been the missing lincs in Dallas since Romo started taking snaps.
This is why I have no issues with the Fredrick pick....matters to me if kipper see's draft value or not, give me a guy you plug in for the next 8 to 10 years and at last....they have that at center.

This year it's DT and safety.....two starters must be drafted. That's round one and two. No way jerry pulls a diamond out in round 3 or 4....not at safety he won't

The absolute biggest problem in Dallas remains the evaluations. Total group effort rather it's the draft or the talent already assembled on the team.

btw.....I may be one of the very few but I this think Mo Claiborne will be an NFL above average CB. I can't kick that can based on his first two seasons. I'm more concerned with our 50M CB at this juncture

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument, but like I said earlier Church did look good before his injury ended his season, and Jerry was high on his project FS Johnson.

Opinions vary on Church.
He comes up and will lay the wood, no question there. He has shown to be serviceable after this season. He's a liability in coverage and certainly needs to continue to better his game. No way you settle on Church as a sure fire starter at this point. Competition with quality talent evaluation is still the question in Dallas

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it would have been better if we had

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he was on everybody's draft board except JJ's