• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I sorta miss it...I must be nuts

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is everyone talking like FA is over...there is still a huge pool of talent out there. While I dont expect us to throw money around I do see us signing a guy or two at positions of need that wont cost a ton. Our run defense was awful last year so we will likely get at least one rotational guy.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing about Hyde to safety worries me. Don't misunderstand me, I think he is a very good football player. I'm very glad he's on our team and think he has a bright future on this team. He's just a good old fashioned football player, line up and do it.

He'll contribute on this team no matter where they play him because is a football player. My concern is, I think his strengths play to a more hybrid position. Playing closer to the line, run support, breaking up quick passes etc. he can run with the fastest guys in a confined space and play defense.

This defense was much better with Collins, but collins isn't coming back. But I do believe we need someone back there that can cover a lot of ground quickly. We don't have that, I don't think Hyde brings that. I think he'd be exposed more than a guy with his talent to do other things should be playing that far off the LOS.

Maybe i'm wrong, but that's my initial impression of the situation. I think our defense is better back there with him than we were last year. But I think it's even better if he's closer to the LOS and we have a rangy safety back there instead of him.

I suspect our defense will get better and noticeably so. They were good the first 3rd or so of the season. Damn good. Stuffing the run, holding to FG's or less. They faced some of the best backs in the league the first 5 weeks of the season. Week after week and they did very well against them. Then Rodgers went down, we had injury after injury rotation on defense and things just tanked.

We need to improve, but number one, we need to stay healthy. A healthy GB team last year has a much different season than they did. I know we have holes, and I also know health will help fill those. That seems to be a big IF around Green Bay lately though.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with all of this. TT isn't going to change his ways and start signing guys to horrible contracts. I wish he would get a little more involved, maybe in the second wave of signings that will come. That would be a nice place to get some mid level guys at a good price to plug a couple holes. Maybe along the d line or add some depth to the secondary or linebacking corp.
Seattle IMO does it well. They built their team through the draft (and have drafted real well) over the last 2 or 3 years and added some pieces at good prices. They got Avril last year on a 2 year 13 mil. deal and Bennett was 1 year around 4 or 5 mil.
What bugs me the most are the fans who whine about Seattle and San Francisco being active in free agency and in the trade market and how that makes them so much better. First off, both teams have the luxury of paying their QBs basically like punters. That will change for both when contract time comes and Kap and Wilson have to be paid. You are already seeing it the last couple years with SF basically getting rid of the Pro Bowl secondary they had in 2011. They also have the luxury of paying some of their core guys on rookie or outdated contracts. Plus both teams have drafted better over the last 2 to 3 years then any other team IMO.
If we are going to stand pat again this year, then Teddy better hit a home run in this draft because that defense isn't going to get that much better with the same guys healthy or not.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better to worry you have a couple of holes to fill and feel as if you're GM isn't being productive in the F/A market, then have a team with a LOT of starting caliber holes that need to be filled with starting quality F/A that you end up, in desperation, overpaying (the situation my Bears are in)for. I'm not looking for sympathy, no not on this forum. Only trying to suggest your situation isn't as bad as it may appear. A Solid draft can cure a few holes, while there aren't enough picks for other situations to be handled with a draft alone.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see the want for TT to be active in free agency because if we got 1 or 2 mid to upper level free agents like D Ware, TJ Ward or Whitner, etc we could make a real push for another title but that would very possibly cost us either Nelson or Cobb. If this team could just stay healthy and get a thumper of a S and a solid playmaking ILB in the draft we could kick some serious ass next year.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better to worry you have a couple of holes to fill and feel as if you're GM isn't being productive in the F/A market, then have a team with a LOT of starting caliber holes that need to be filled with starting quality F/A that you end up, in desperation, overpaying (the situation my Bears are in)for. I'm not looking for sympathy, no not on this forum. Only trying to suggest your situation isn't as bad as it may appear. A Solid draft can cure a few holes, while there aren't enough picks for other situations to be handled with a draft alone.

I loved the Houston signing by Chicago. Curious to see what they do at S

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved the Houston signing by Chicago. Curious to see what they do at S

I agree...I think the Houston signing was a home run for them.

On the other hand, the two people they brought in at safety are huge question marks(Mundy and Jennings)

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree...I think the Houston signing was a home run for them.

On the other hand, the two people they brought in at safety are huge question marks(Mundy and Jennings)

I do not know about it being a home run... I question if he is so good why Raiders did not resign him with all the salary cap room they have for one.

But then again... I question some of the other moves Raiders have made the FA already. Maybe Reggie is not going to last long as a GM.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not know about it being a home run... I question if he is so good why Raiders did not resign him with all the salary cap room they have for one.

But then again... I question some of the other moves Raiders have made the FA already. Maybe Reggie is not going to last long as a GM.

The Raiders do not do anything right lol. Reggie showed some promise last year but the whole Saffold situation was an embarrassment. I liked the DMAC prove it deal but they have a ton of money and are barely using any.

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see the want for TT to be active in free agency because if we got 1 or 2 mid to upper level free agents like D Ware, TJ Ward or Whitner, etc we could make a real push for another title but that would very possibly cost us either Nelson or Cobb. If this team could just stay healthy and get a thumper of a S and a solid playmaking ILB in the draft we could kick some serious ass next year.

We may have been competitive the last few years , but it's the same down fall in the playoffs each season. The defense has too many holes and realistically we will be one and done with the same type of defense. The safety play has to be the worst in the league. Shields is now paid as a top 5 corner. The inside linebackers and olb opposite Clay is weak. The defensive line is really nothing to be happy about either. Granted it's the first day we still missed out on some huge playmakers we could of made a play on.

Ask and ye shall receive, allday!

Byrd would have been a good sign...Peppers?? No he is a 4-3 DE. Revis? Green Bay does not sign "I" guys.

I disagree with this strongly, and Peppers has been itching to play in a 3-4 (which he considers his area of strength) since before leaving Carolina. He's a freak athlete who will be able to display more of his skills this way, though he would have benefitted a bit more a few years back - how healthy/strong is he as a player overall at this point?

I came here after the ESPN boards closed down, and the moderator kept giving me warnings whenever I disagreed with him on threads, so I booked. As people have mentioned, if you want pure hysteria, just listen to local (Milwaukee more than anywhere else in the state) radio, comments under articles, Twitter/Facebook etc.