• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fuck it...I just turned my much-maligned three-team trade proposal into a blog post

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next I'll include my Paul Millsap/HOF or my Joel Embiid/goon posts because, well, it's so much fun to piss off the frontrunners. :clap:

Three-Team Trade Proposal That Would Help Houston Land LeBron:

upload_2018-6-4_12-38-58.jpeg
Charlotte gets - Eric Gordon, Chinanu Onauku, and a future top 37-protected second round pick (from Sacramento)

Sacramento gets - Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, P.J. Tucker, Nene, a 2019 first round draft pick (from Houston), a 2022 first round pick (from Houston), and a future second round pick (from Houston)

Houston gets - Willy Hernangomez, and cap space to sign LeBron James

From Charlotte's perspective: With Kemba Walker and Dwight Howard set to hit unrestricted free agency in 2019 and along with limited trade value, now is the time to see what this core could do at its fullest before new team president Mitch Kupchak is forced to tear the house down. There aren't many worse fits next to Howard than MKG, a player that has really been in need of a change even before Howard's arrival, and would be finally getting a fresh start in Sacramento with this deal. Even though Gordon shot a pedestrian 35 percent for NBA standards from beyond the arc this season, his outside shooting ability is still a much better compliment to Dwight than MKG.

From Sacramento's perspective: The Kings are currently on the books for a payroll of $61 million for next season, and that number would shrink to $53 million if Garrett Temple opt out. As of right now, they don't currently own a 2019 first rounder, so there's going to be a little more urgency for Sacramento to win right away and hence continuing to spend money. The free draft picks in this deal are always nice, and assuming Luka Doncic is their guy with the #2 overall pick this year, this deal would also allow them to add a couple of defensive-minded role players to take some pressure off of their young guys and upgrade their 28th-ranked defense.

From Houston's perspective: Cap Space to sign the best player in the world - It don't get a whole lot more simple than that. Normally I'm not a fan of superteams, but this is one I am intrigued by and would root for in the western conference as long as they aren't playing my Nuggets. James Harden carrying the scoring load while the careers of LeBron and CP3 wind down seems like the ideal scenario heading into this summer. And you better believe that no team is going to miss 25 consecutive three-point attempts with LeBron James generating open looks, as Houston did in Game 7 against Golden State.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next I'll include my Paul Millsap/HOF or my Joel Embiid/goon posts because, well, it's so much fun to piss off the frontrunners. :clap:

Three-Team Trade Proposal That Would Help Houston Land LeBron:

Charlotte gets - Eric Gordon, Chinanu Onauku, and a future top 37-protected second round pick (from Sacramento)

Sacramento gets - Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, P.J. Tucker, Nene, a 2019 first round draft pick (from Houston), a 2022 first round pick (from Houston), and a future second round pick (from Houston)

Houston gets - Willy Hernangomez, and cap space to sign LeBron James

From Charlotte's perspective: With Kemba Walker and Dwight Howard set to hit unrestricted free agency in 2019 and along with limited trade value, now is the time to see what this core could do at its fullest before new team president Mitch Kupchak is forced to tear the house down. There aren't many worse fits next to Howard than MKG, a player that has really been in need of a change even before Howard's arrival, and would be finally getting a fresh start in Sacramento with this deal. Even though Gordon shot a pedestrian 35 percent for NBA standards from beyond the arc this season, his outside shooting ability is still a much better compliment to Dwight than MKG.

From Sacramento's perspective: The Kings are currently on the books for a payroll of $61 million for next season, and that number would shrink to $53 million if Garrett Temple opt out. As of right now, they don't currently own a 2019 first rounder, so there's going to be a little more urgency for Sacramento to win right away and hence continuing to spend money. The free draft picks in this deal are always nice, and assuming Luka Doncic is their guy with the #2 overall pick this year, this deal would also allow them to add a couple of defensive-minded role players to take some pressure off of their young guys and upgrade their 28th-ranked defense.

From Houston's perspective: Cap Space to sign the best player in the world - It don't get a whole lot more simple than that. Normally I'm not a fan of superteams, but this is one I am intrigued by and would root for in the western conference as long as they aren't playing my Nuggets. James Harden carrying the scoring load while the careers of LeBron and CP3 wind down seems like the ideal scenario heading into this summer. And you better believe that no team is going to miss 25 consecutive three-point attempts with LeBron James generating open looks, as Houston did in Game 7 against Golden State.

Much better trade compensation. If you had posted this earlier, it wouldn't have gotten flamed so hard. Although Charlotte is easily getting the best end of this deal. They get to trade MKG, receive Eric Gordon and a second?

Edit: After revisiting the trade proposal, I see that Sacramento is giving up a second round pick. Why would they do that. It'd be better off for Houston's second to go to Charlotte if you really wanted that compensation and just let Sacramento keep theirs, as it'll be a much higher pick.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
asi said the other day

only problem with this is even with Tucker and Gordon traded--- AND saying they let Capela walk---

with JUST cp3, harden and anderson hte payroll- there is not enough room to sign LBJ to a max. Cp3 and Lbj would ahve to take moderate-to-severe discounts.

as i said- pretty much the only realistic way LBJ gets Houston is if he opts in to the last year of his deal and the Cavs trade him.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
asi said the other day

only problem with this is even with Tucker and Gordon traded--- AND saying they let Capela walk---

with JUST cp3, harden and anderson hte payroll- there is not enough room to sign LBJ to a max. Cp3 and Lbj would ahve to take moderate-to-severe discounts.

as i said- pretty much the only realistic way LBJ gets Houston is if he opts in to the last year of his deal and the Cavs trade him.

Anderson's contract need to be moved for sure. That will take a lot of compensation to get done.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont get me wrong though--- mkg and tucker are precisely the type of wing defenders that everyone needs.

Id take either one in a second on the Cavs---- and if i was Sacramento id try and get a couple guys like that to protect the kids--- nothing saps a team more than a terrible terrible defense and most of the time young players stink at defense- they need help like hard nosed vets like MKG and Tucker

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont get me wrong though--- mkg and tucker are precisely the type of wing defenders that everyone needs.

Id take either one in a second on the Cavs---- and if i was Sacramento id try and get a couple guys like that to protect the kids--- nothing saps a team more than a terrible terrible defense and most of the time young players stink at defense- they need help like hard nosed vets like MKG and Tucker

Yes but you have to look at what you're trying to accomplish also. They're guys you definitely want on contenders, but really have no use on teams looking to rebuild. Tucker is an asset in that he's on a really reasonable contract that you could potentially flip. MKG doesn't hold nearly that much value. He's a liability on the offensive end. And I'm bashing MKG being a huge fan of his coming out of college. He just hasn't improved at all on that part of his game.

Sacramento also tried the vet route and they traded one guy in Hill, had two others in Z-Bo and Vince Carter. Z-Bo is on the team for another few years. If there's anyone who can check someone in the league, it'll be him for sure.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edit: After revisiting the trade proposal, I see that Sacramento is giving up a second round pick. Why would they do that. It'd be better off for Houston's second to go to Charlotte if you really wanted that compensation and just let Sacramento keep theirs, as it'll be a much higher pick.

Good idea...The post hasn't been published yet due to formatting issues, but I'll keep this in mind when I make my final edits.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now this makes some sense. Especially with the tweak from msgkings.

It'll be damn tough to pull off. But it makes sense if it can be done.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
asi said the other day

As Wiggy notes:

Harden: $30.4M
Anderson: $20.4M
Hernangomez: $1.5M
Paul: $35.3M cap hold
Incomplete roster hold (8 players): $6.5M (based on last year's charge per spot under 12 total)
Total: $94.1M
Cap: $101M
Space: $6.9M

Even with everyone else renounced and traded away, Paul would have to sign at a HUGE discount to make room for Lebron. Even if you ditch Anderson's contract for nothing, Paul still has to give up about 10M to make room for Lebron (and the team would have zero depth).

Houston would be MUCH smarter to keep Capela and build otherwise.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good idea...The post hasn't been published yet due to formatting issues, but I'll keep this in mind when I make my final edits.

Honestly feel like Charlotte should be giving up a pick to Sacramento too. Maybe not a first, but a second, maybe two. They're coming out way ahead on this getting rid of MKG and getting back some real fire power with Gordon.

Kemba and Gordon would be a dynamic backcourt.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Wiggy notes:

Harden: $30.4M
Anderson: $20.4M
Hernangomez: $1.5M
Paul: $35.3M cap hold
Incomplete roster hold (8 players): $6.5M (based on last year's charge per spot under 12 total)
Total: $94.1M
Cap: $101M
Space: $6.9M

Even with everyone else renounced and traded away, Paul would have to sign at a HUGE discount to make room for Lebron. Even if you ditch Anderson's contract for nothing, Paul still has to give up about 10M to make room for Lebron (and the team would have zero depth).

Houston would be MUCH smarter to keep Capela and build otherwise.
Maybe it's worth it for the owners to pay luxury tax penalties for a year or two for that ring?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's worth it for the owners to pay luxury tax penalties for a year or two for that ring?

I'm not talking luxury tax; this is the salary cap. Paul counts as $35.3M until he signs, then he counts as his actual contract. In order to clear $35M for Lebron, Paul would have to sign for about $7M (cold day in hell), or they would have to dump Anderson's contract on someone (another cold day in hell, lol).

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking luxury tax; this is the salary cap. Paul counts as $35.3M until he signs, then he counts as his actual contract. In order to clear $35M for Lebron, Paul would have to sign for about $7M (cold day in hell), or they would have to dump Anderson's contract on someone (another cold day in hell, lol).
i didnt realize PAul's cap hold was THAt big.....yikes

I mean--- JUST Harden and Paul-- ALONe is 65M..........the cap is 108

thats 43 left after just Paul and Harden--- they would have to pretty much clear the decks for LeBron to get to his 35 or so million and thats just not possible

only realistic scenario--- he "opts in" and is traded by the Cavs--- in that scenario I would assume the Cavs would get Gordon, and a couple first rounders and would then re-route Gordon for more picks/assets

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly- of course I want- LeBron to resign- and i think the Cavs are the favorites to sign him- but if he did leave id prefer to trade him to Houston and recoup some assets.

If the Cavs got Gordon and 2 first rounders- and also probably took some other salary back to make the contracts match---- they would be well on their way to a fairly quick rebuild.

They absolutely could trade Gordon for a first rounder.

They absolutely could trade Love for a solid first rounder- if not more---- he would be an AMAZING fit in Phoenix and they have a ton of assets. He would be a great fit a LOT of places actually.

I think they could even deal Korver- prob. not for a first- but for a couple 2nd rounders.

Considering they have the 8th pick--- they could add a bunch of assets pretty quickly, tear it down, wait for 2 years until their cap clears up TOTALLY--- and then shit--- get LeBron back. lol......

2 years from now if the CAvs have like 3-4 extra first rounders, totally clear books, and 2 lotto talents- that would actually be a helluva sales pitch!

obviously i want and hope he stays---- but unlike last time where the cupboard was TOTALLY and COMPLETELY bare with the likes of Shaq, Antwan JAmison, Mo Williams, Andy VArejao etc.....this time they would at least have assets and a road to a rebuild that would not take an inordinate amount of time like some of the rebuilds that have been going on in the NBA for seemingly ever like the Kings, Lakers, Knicks, Suns etc.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i didnt realize PAul's cap hold was THAt big.....yikes

I mean--- JUST Harden and Paul-- ALONe is 65M..........the cap is 108

thats 43 left after just Paul and Harden--- they would have to pretty much clear the decks for LeBron to get to his 35 or so million and thats just not possible

only realistic scenario--- he "opts in" and is traded by the Cavs--- in that scenario I would assume the Cavs would get Gordon, and a couple first rounders and would then re-route Gordon for more picks/assets

Cap is $101M.

2018-19 NBA Salary Cap To Stay Same As Preseason Projections, Lakers Project To Have Most Cap Room To Sign Free Agents - Lakers Nation

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There goes the Lebron hallucination....
its why i hold out hope for him remaining in CLE.

the only other 2 even semi-realistic options are Philly and LA.

LA is not ready. Philly would make him look like a mercenary.

At this point- how much can/would LeBron really add to his legacy by team-hopping for rings?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its why i hold out hope for him remaining in CLE.

the only other 2 even semi-realistic options are Philly and LA.

LA is not ready. Philly would make him look like a mercenary.

At this point- how much can/would LeBron really add to his legacy by team-hopping for rings?

I don't think he's hopping for rings anymore at this point. The Warriors have him locked out, barring injury. Cavs can't really get any better around him. He may just be hopping for comfort and a jump start on his next career, which would be LA. If the Simmons was deadly from 3 in the OTHER way, I could see the Sixers making a lot of sense. Sixers would have to do some trimming to make space as well, but very doable.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YIKES!!!....i was going off an estimate i saw of 108....i dunno- 101 seems rather small....

NOPE- you are right---- that is a really really low number.

I mean- after Paul and HArden making a combined about 65M that only leaves 36--- which is basically LeBron's max.

the ONLY ONLY ONLY way he gets to Houston is through him opting in with the Cavs and a trade. Pretty much no other possible way---- even if they let Capela walk, got rid of Tucker and Gordon- AND somehow got rid of Anderson it would be exceedingly difficult to to do with cap space.

This is why I think unless its LA- that he will opt in with Cleveland for one more year and check the landscape the following year- of course at that POINT- the CAvs would only have 1 more year of heavy contracts before the decks would be cleared and he could do whatever he wanted with teaming up with people in CLE.

itll be a fascinating offseason. That 101 figure really puts a crimp on a lot of plans though--- even the Lakers at 101 million will struggle to add much of anything after 2 max guys.

I mean look at their cap-

Deng 18M
Ball 7.5M
Ingram 5.8M
Kuzma 1.7M
Hart 1.7M

this is assuming they renounce Randle, renounce Zubac, Renounce Ennis.

those are their only "guarantees"---- with Deng they could "stretch" him and get his salary down to 7.2M.....lets say they do that---

Deng 7.2 (stretched)
Ball 7.5
Ingram 5.8
Kuzma 1.7
Hart 1.7
cap hold for first rounder- about 2M prob

= almost exactly 26M for those 5 players.

That leaves 74 million to work with----

LeBron- 35M
George- 32M

cap holds for roster spots would pretty much eat up the rest.