• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fuck it...I just turned my much-maligned three-team trade proposal into a blog post

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking luxury tax; this is the salary cap. Paul counts as $35.3M until he signs, then he counts as his actual contract. In order to clear $35M for Lebron, Paul would have to sign for about $7M (cold day in hell), or they would have to dump Anderson's contract on someone (another cold day in hell, lol).
I thought you could go over the cap if you are willing to pay big penalties?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deng 7.36 (stretched)
Ball 7.46
Ingram 5.75
Kuzma 1.69
Hart 1.65
Randle (cap hold): 12.45
open roster spots (cap hold for 6): 4.89M
Total: 41.25M
Cap: 101M
Space: 59.75M

To keep Randle, Lebron/George would have to take a little less (say approx 33 and 27 respectively). I think George would be open to it, given he's coming home. Lebron? Who knows.

Does the open roster spot charge increase as players are renounced, as I'm assuming? I've never paid this close of attention before, lol.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking luxury tax; this is the salary cap. Paul counts as $35.3M until he signs, then he counts as his actual contract. In order to clear $35M for Lebron, Paul would have to sign for about $7M (cold day in hell), or they would have to dump Anderson's contract on someone (another cold day in hell, lol).

Not only that, but they'd have to sign CP3 prior to signing Lebron to clear up additional cap space, at a discount too.
its why i hold out hope for him remaining in CLE.

the only other 2 even semi-realistic options are Philly and LA.

LA is not ready. Philly would make him look like a mercenary.

At this point- how much can/would LeBron really add to his legacy by team-hopping for rings?

Lots of sign and trade options. If he tells the Cavs he's leaving, it at least gives them an opportunity for some compensation. He's not just limited to the Free Agent Market.

Also he's getting up there in years. He's had to shoulder a huge burden this past year and it's not likely to improve any time soon. The Cavs are hamstrung with their cap and have a lot of tough contracts to move on the books. Most notably, JR, Korver, Thompson and Hill. Even Clarkson's deal is looking bad and Rodney Hood is going to be a free agent.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that, but they'd have to sign CP3 prior to signing Lebron to clear up additional cap space, at a discount too.

Lots of sign and trade options. If he tells the Cavs he's leaving, it at least gives them an opportunity for some compensation. He's not just limited to the Free Agent Market.

Also he's getting up there in years. He's had to shoulder a huge burden this past year and it's not likely to improve any time soon. The Cavs are hamstrung with their cap and have a lot of tough contracts to move on the books. Most notably, JR, Korver, Thompson and Hill. Even Clarkson's deal is looking bad and Rodney Hood is going to be a free agent.

Not a S&T really, as long as he doesn't opt out (which would allow him to put pressure on his new team again next summer). Still, is he going to prefer a S&T to joining a team that doesn't have to give up much to add him WITH George (Lakers), or minor trimming to a #3 seed this year (Sixers)? They still seem in the driving seat to me, unless he decides to stay (and I don't think he's willing to tolerate ownership any longer in Cleveland, but that's just a hunch).

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a S&T really, as long as he doesn't opt out (which would allow him to put pressure on his new team again next summer). Still, is he going to prefer a S&T to joining a team that doesn't have to give up much to add him WITH George (Lakers), or minor trimming to a #3 seed this year (Sixers)? They still seem in the driving seat to me, unless he decides to stay (and I don't think he's willing to tolerate ownership any longer in Cleveland, but that's just a hunch).

Yeah, I meant opt-in, like CP3 did last year. But same premise. He has options based on him being able to be on a contract and be traded.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I meant opt-in, like CP3 did last year. But same premise. He has options based on him being able to be on a contract and be traded.

Problem is, Houston's best assets are FA (IMO). Obviously Capela, along with Paul and Ariza. Gordon has his moments.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is, Houston's best assets are FA (IMO). Obviously Capela, along with Paul and Ariza. Gordon has his moments.

Oh I'm not talking about the Rockets. I'm talking about the Celtics. Miami. Washington. Milwaukee. All teams that could put together a package of youth, picks and quality players.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I'm not talking about the Rockets. I'm talking about the Celtics. Miami. Washington. Milwaukee. All teams that could put together a package of youth, picks and quality players.

But what would be left on those rosters afterward? Better than the Sixers (or the Lakers with space for another star player)?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for LeBron?

Yep. Like CP3, if he goes to management and says he's not intending to stay with them. He could potentially opt in for his contract to facilitate a trade to another team. The reason it's not a bluff is because he has options to leave, very viable ones.

Let's say the Wizards offered Bradley Beal, Cap filler and a 1st round pick. Would that be better than losing Lebron outright?

What if the Celtics offered Gordon Hayward and the 2019 Sacramento pick? (forget the Kyrie situation, he can be moved easily for additional pieces).

Milwaukee with a sign and trade involving Jabari Parker, picks and fillers.

Lots of options out there that benefit the Cavs to potentially facilitate a sign and trade if that's what Lebron wanted. The biggest caveat here is IF Lebron wants to play for any of these teams.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Like CP3, if he goes to management and says he's not intending to stay with them. He could potentially opt in for his contract to facilitate a trade to another team. The reason it's not a bluff is because he has options to leave, very viable ones.

Let's say the Wizards offered Bradley Beal, Cap filler and a 1st round pick. Would that be better than losing Lebron outright?

What if the Celtics offered Gordon Hayward and the 2019 Sacramento pick? (forget the Kyrie situation, he can be moved easily for additional pieces).

Lots of options out there that benefit the Cavs to potentially facilitate a sign and trade if that's what Lebron wanted. The biggest caveat here is IF Lebron wants to play for any of these teams.
i guess i dont see any of those places as options

from the start i always thought it would be LA or CLE---- but i guess i have to relent and say Philly is a possibility.

LeBron's legacy is not going to be advanced by winning rings on a self made super team at this point. Durant will never be a top 10 player ofall time riding the rest of the Warriors to titles- he will never get that respect.

LeBron isnt gonna advance past michael by forcing his way onto another super team and winning a title

its why i expect it to be LA or CLE---- his legacy is more important to him than pure ring count.--- and its why i think he is MOST LIKELY to stay in Cleveland - though that might be under a 50% chance if you get what im saying- dude is going to Boston or Washington and being a mercenary going to some place he has no ties to

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess i dont see any of those places as options

from the start i always thought it would be LA or CLE---- but i guess i have to relent and say Philly is a possibility.

LeBron's legacy is not going to be advanced by winning rings on a self made super team at this point. Durant will never be a top 10 player ofall time riding the rest of the Warriors to titles- he will never get that respect.

LeBron isnt gonna advance past michael by forcing his way onto another super team and winning a title

its why i expect it to be LA or CLE---- his legacy is more important to him than pure ring count.--- and its why i think he is MOST LIKELY to stay in Cleveland - though that might be under a 50% chance if you get what im saying- dude is going to Boston or Washington and being a mercenary going to some place he has no ties to

I get what you're saying and of course my trade proposals are just off the cuff. All I was alluding to was that it's not outside the realm of possibility for this to happen. Numerous things would need to go right for this type of situation to take place.

But I disagree with you on the mercenary thing. Lebron is about his legacy right now. If he's able to win a championship with a 3rd team, how many NBA players in the history of the league can say that? He'd be the only superstar player, unquestioned best player on his team, to be able to accomplish such a feat. That would be more impressive than his finals record. Being able to take 3 different teams to the finals and win a championship as the MVP of the team would be an amazing accomplishment.

It's not as if Lebron is some role player, tacking on rings. He's going to be the best player on his team wherever he goes.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
literally the only problem with this deal is that it leaves Houston so bereft of assets that they couldn't move Anderson.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deng 7.36 (stretched)
Ball 7.46
Ingram 5.75
Kuzma 1.69
Hart 1.65
Randle (cap hold): 12.45
open roster spots (cap hold for 6): 4.89M
Total: 41.25M
Cap: 101M
Space: 59.75M

To keep Randle, Lebron/George would have to take a little less (say approx 33 and 27 respectively). I think George would be open to it, given he's coming home. Lebron? Who knows.

Does the open roster spot charge increase as players are renounced, as I'm assuming? I've never paid this close of attention before, lol.
I would want to keep and resign Julius Randle if Lebron and George sign - and perhaps a better way would be to give up Ingram and Hard or some one for a sucker to take Deng. That would be a huge loss, but well worth it.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would want to keep and resign Julius Randle if Lebron and George sign - and perhaps a better way would be to give up Ingram and Hard or some one for a sucker to take Deng. That would be a huge loss, but well worth it.

I wouldn't give up young talent for Deng's contract without getting a 1st rounder back. Deng is only on the roster for 2 seasons and can be worked around via the stretch provision.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You were doing OK until that Milwaukee trade. Parker isn't close to being a good enough player to be the lead in a Lebron trade. Lebron can also kill any of these trades by not agreeing on an extension if he doesn't want to go there. Any trade will have to be hand-picked by Lebron.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't give up young talent for Deng's contract without getting a 1st rounder back. Deng is only on the roster for 2 seasons and can be worked around via the stretch provision.
I understand what you're saying, and truthfully - I think the Lakers might be better off waiting two more years any way, but remember this:

Deng has 36 million for the next two years that means he gets 7.3 MILLION toward the cap and relieves them of 11 million in space - If the Lakers are going to go for a Paul George and LeBron James combo - they might need that 7 million a year for the next 5 years. The five years is a long time to be hammered with 7 million less than other teams. A better option would be if you could find a sucker, err team to make that trade - but Yes - get a first round pick back - so far the Lakers have done good with draft picks