• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fuck it...I just turned my much-maligned three-team trade proposal into a blog post

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were doing OK until that Milwaukee trade. Parker isn't close to being a good enough player to be the lead in a Lebron trade. Lebron can also kill any of these trades by not agreeing on an extension if he doesn't want to go there. Any trade will have to be hand-picked by Lebron.

LAC didn't get a truckload for CP3.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what you're saying, and truthfully - I think the Lakers might be better off waiting two more years any way, but remember this:

Deng has 36 million for the next two years that means he gets 7.3 MILLION toward the cap and relieves them of 11 million in space - If the Lakers are going to go for a Paul George and LeBron James combo - they might need that 7 million a year for the next 5 years. The five years is a long time to be hammered with 7 million less than other teams. A better option would be if you could find a sucker, err team to make that trade - but Yes - get a first round pick back - so far the Lakers have done good with draft picks

That 7 million shouldn't matter beyond this season if all goes as planned. The Lakers will be over the cap and can always go over to extend their own free agents (Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, etc). By the time the last two come up, Lebron may have moved on or retired. Lakers have always been willing to spend over the cap (and into the luxury tax) when necessary to keep important players.

If the Lakers don't get 2 max players this year, they might be able to move Deng's contract as an expiring next summer.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were doing OK until that Milwaukee trade. Parker isn't close to being a good enough player to be the lead in a Lebron trade. Lebron can also kill any of these trades by not agreeing on an extension if he doesn't want to go there. Any trade will have to be hand-picked by Lebron.

Again, it was just an off the cuff idea. Those were off the top of my head without much thought behind it. I actually believe it wouldn't work anyways with Milwaukee after I was able to look into it because of some weird rule in the CBA about sign and trades.

But again, all I was alluding to was the fact that Lebron has more options than people think. Don't narrow it down to simply the free agent market alone. And of course it has to be hand-picked by Lebron. He's the one with the player option. He doesn't opt-in if he didn't specifically want to be traded to that team. The Cavs have ZERO leverage in this situation.

I know you're hoping that the Lakers are only one of 3 possible destinations for him, but in reality there are many more. Teams will find a way to get creative if they think they have a shot at Lebron. Hell I didn't even mention the Spurs. Lebron has always said he wants to play for Pop.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beverley and Lou are better players than Parker IMO.

That's fine. Parker still has the shine of a #2 overall pick with some upside.

I was never a fan of his, but if you're going to rebuild, you can go for Parker-types.

however, can CLE even receive players in a S&T? The nba made those rules unnecessarily complicated.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, it was just an off the cuff idea. Those were off the top of my head without much thought behind it. I actually believe it wouldn't work anyways with Milwaukee after I was able to look into it because of some weird rule in the CBA about sign and trades.

But again, all I was alluding to was the fact that Lebron has more options than people think. Don't narrow it down to simply the free agent market alone. And of course it has to be hand-picked by Lebron. He's the one with the player option. He doesn't opt-in if he didn't specifically want to be traded to that team. The Cavs have ZERO leverage in this situation.

I know you're hoping that the Lakers are only one of 3 possible destinations for him, but in reality there are many more. Teams will find a way to get creative if they think they have a shot at Lebron. Hell I didn't even mention the Spurs. Lebron has always said he wants to play for Pop.

I'm not even necessarily hoping for Lebron. If it happens, great. If not, on to next summer (Klay, Kawhi, Butler). Just adding George would be a big boost to this team; they need a vet scorer to add to the mix.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine. Parker still has the shine of a #2 overall pick with some upside.

I was never a fan of his, but if you're going to rebuild, you can go for Parker-types.

however, can CLE even receive players in a S&T? The nba made those rules unnecessarily complicated.

I think S&T players have to be traded on their own.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its why i hold out hope for him remaining in CLE.

the only other 2 even semi-realistic options are Philly and LA.

LA is not ready. Philly would make him look like a mercenary.

At this point- how much can/would LeBron really add to his legacy by team-hopping for rings?

How would Philly make him look like a mercenary and Houston or Boston would not?