• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I like this suggestion

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I want to know is this.

Aaron Hernandez was in the NFL for only 3 seasons. And he was only 23-24 years old when he stopped playing.
And yet after he died, he had one of the worst cases of CTE anyone had ever seen.

So how can you have such a severe case of CTE after just 3 seasons?

I will not be surprised if it is discovered that there is another major component to CTE and it has nothing to do with concussions.

Genetics takes a part of CTE risk.....

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A concussed player signing a waiver would be meaningless. It would be a cakewalk in court to prove he was not thinking clearly.....

You must be of sound mind to sign a waiver and even then it might fall apart in court.....
Yeah that's true makes sense. Maybe and most likely there is no clear cut answer, but I damn sure don't wan't an automatic one game medical ban.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes!! Why would Brady be any different? A concussion is a concussion. The only problem I would have, is who determines if it's a concussion or not?
Look up, you'll see it.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Aaron Hernandez was in the NFL for only 3 seasons. And he was only 23-24 years old when he stopped playing.
And yet after he died, he had one of the worst cases of CTE anyone had ever seen.

I will not be surprised if it is discovered that there is another major component to CTE and it has nothing to do with concussions.

Hernandez was also a full time PCP smoking gangbanger.
PCP does not do gentle things to the brain.
PCP also makes a person seem indestructible, allowing them to have terrible injuries inflicted on their bodies without them demonstrating any setbacks.
Gangbanging also has severe initiations rituals and involves a violent lifestyle.

Hernandez is not an average example.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a guy that has been hit on the head many times I say get back in there now.
Signed Wess Welker
Anyone Remember Tom Waddle? I think that guy was addicted to Smelling salts on the sidelines.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say make the players sign a medical waiver if they insist on playing, put the ball in their field.
if it is about safety you couldnt do that.

A. Most players would just say they are fine
or
B. the team basically makes you sign the waiver.

it would completely defeat why the rule was in place.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He played in college, high school and probably middle school before that. It's only been in recent years that they've been limiting contact for younger players.

Genetic factors? Maybe. Taking drugs, maybe steroids when he could get away with it? It wouldn't surprise me. But Hernandez didn't start getting blows to the head in Foxboro.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, we don't need anymore league rules to take players out of the game and make it even less fun to watch.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can you say "genetic predisposition"?

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There was a kid on my son's HS team that had to give up football as only a Jr because he had 3 severe concussions. Happens in pop warner, hs, college and then nfl

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you say "genetic predisposition"?

".......All people carry the APOE gene, which has many variations. A 2010 study found that athletes carrying three of the gene’s four minor variations were 10 times as likely as those who did not to have reported a concussion and more than eight times as likely to have suffered brain injury as a result."

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) this isn't about the AFCCG
2) this is about concussions
3) Packers need not be concerned.

I did read a concern about if playing in the AFCCG would you have to miss the Super Bowl? My suggestion is to not worry about it until you qualify for it.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are concussed to that point it's more than likely there is no way they are getting medical clearance. The proposal specifically states a game because it's about avoiding the contact to protect the player. If the player is asked a series of questions it would be obvious to a doctor if the thought processes were on point.

There is no easy answer to this problem, but if we shift the responsibility from the league to the player that lessens recourse at a later date.

Could potentially increase the liability on the league for putting the decision on a player that may not be able adequately make said decision.
Then injuring themselves further, which is exactly what they are trying to get away from.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a kid on my son's HS team that had to give up football as only a Jr because he had 3 severe concussions. Happens in pop warner, hs, college and then nfl
Not to mention hitting your head as a kid; bicycle, motocross, boxing or just screwing around. All those hits add up and effect everyone differently.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could potentially increase the liability on the league for putting the decision on a player that may not be able adequately make said decision.
Then injuring themselves further, which is exactly what they are trying to get away from.
What I was proposing is that a doctor ask a series of questions and the doctor determine if they are capable of rational thought, then put the decision in the players hands.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets first get to the AFCCG before we talk about anyone getting concussed in it.
It was an example did you not read where I stated it was an example.