• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Guess The LA Chargers Didn't Grease His Palm?

Eugene Baker III

"Oh a stitch in time, just about saved me..."
Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
L.A. mayor on Chargers: 'We wish them luck'

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti wants Chargers to stay put

The mayor of Los Angeles won't be advocating for the addition of a second NFL team.
Instead, Eric Garcetti says he would like to see the Chargers stay in San Diego.

"We'd welcome any team to come here, but I love the idea of a great rivalry to the south," Garcetti said Wednesday. "We wish them luck."
Garcetti, speaking as a guest on ESPN Radio's Capital Games podcast, said he also hoped theRaiders would stay in Oakland.

The NFL's owners OK'd the Rams' bid last week to relocate to Los Angeles; the Chargers or Raiders could still join them. The Chargers have one year to see if they can make it work in San Diego with the hope of securing a new facility. The Raiders would then get a shot.
Garcetti said his advice to other mayors is, "Don't be so desperate for a sports franchise and don't put your city in debt for decades." Garcetti and Rams owner Stan Kroenke met on Monday night and discussed the possibilities of new events coming to the city when the estimated $1.1 billion complex opens in 2019 on the site of the former Hollywood Park horse racing track.
Officials from the Rams and Chargers also met Monday about a potential partnership in the Inglewood stadium project. This discussions, which the teams said would remain private, was believed to be more of an exploratory discussion as the Chargers continue to weigh their options.

Garcetti, who said he grew up a Rams fan, added that the NFL chose the Hollywood Park site because it would give the NFL a home in the West, a new location for the NFL Network and a chance for the NFL to host major events with celebrities.
The Rams played in Los Angeles from 1946-1994. The Raiders played in Los Angeles from 1982-1994.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were a resident of the area, I would be pissed at such comments.

Why would you tell roughly 35 millionaires and a couple of guys worth 10's of millions that your city doesn't want them to live there and help pay the taxes?

Makes zero sense. It doesn't cost the area a single penny more than what they are already paying to attract another business that generates $250M in annual revenue....and the mayor is saying thanks but not thanks?!?

Also he is quite the ass in having the gall to tell other cities that they shouldn't spend $$$ on NFL teams. A place like STL doesn't have any choice but to open up their wallets to keep/get an NFL franchise and all that comes with it. A place like LA because of it's size can play hardball that way and not have to dump tons of cash into it.

Dude is out of touch. After reading his comments, I am really rooting for this venture back into LA to fail all over again.

Last edited:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
L.A. mayor on Chargers: 'We wish them luck'

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti wants Chargers to stay put

The mayor of Los Angeles won't be advocating for the addition of a second NFL team.
Instead, Eric Garcetti says he would like to see the Chargers stay in San Diego.

"We'd welcome any team to come here, but I love the idea of a great rivalry to the south," Garcetti said Wednesday. "We wish them luck."
Garcetti, speaking as a guest on ESPN Radio's Capital Games podcast, said he also hoped theRaiders would stay in Oakland.

The NFL's owners OK'd the Rams' bid last week to relocate to Los Angeles; the Chargers or Raiders could still join them. The Chargers have one year to see if they can make it work in San Diego with the hope of securing a new facility. The Raiders would then get a shot.
Garcetti said his advice to other mayors is, "Don't be so desperate for a sports franchise and don't put your city in debt for decades." Garcetti and Rams owner Stan Kroenke met on Monday night and discussed the possibilities of new events coming to the city when the estimated $1.1 billion complex opens in 2019 on the site of the former Hollywood Park horse racing track.
Officials from the Rams and Chargers also met Monday about a potential partnership in the Inglewood stadium project. This discussions, which the teams said would remain private, was believed to be more of an exploratory discussion as the Chargers continue to weigh their options.

Garcetti, who said he grew up a Rams fan, added that the NFL chose the Hollywood Park site because it would give the NFL a home in the West, a new location for the NFL Network and a chance for the NFL to host major events with celebrities.
The Rams played in Los Angeles from 1946-1994. The Raiders played in Los Angeles from 1982-1994.

Good for him and I agree, but I don't think he is going to win that battle. The building being used by the Chargers is really in bad shape. In the last decade there has been times that it was flooded due to heavy rain and parking is a real bitch. If the city had began working on a plan for a new stadium sooner I think there would be a better chance at keeping them Even now the mayor of San Diego still is willing to help get one built and make it work, but I get the impression that the owners of the Chargers are ready to leave. It's going to be tough to get them to stay. If memory serves me correctly I think the team is now owned by the children of the owner who passed in the last decade. That's the way I remember it any way

Eugene Baker III

Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him and I agree, but I don't think he is going to win that battle. The building being used by the Chargers is really in bad shape. In the last decade there has been times that it was flooded due to heavy rain and parking is a real bitch. If the city had began working on a plan for a new stadium sooner I think there would be a better chance at keeping them Even now the mayor of San Diego still is willing to help get one built and make it work, but I get the impression that the owners of the Chargers are ready to leave. It's going to be tough to get them to stay. If memory serves me correctly I think the team is now owned by the children of the owner who passed in the last decade. That's the way I remember it any way

Sure....Qualcomm's plumbing is crazy stupid.

On the other hand, Spanos thinks he is on the verge of crazy money in LA.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were a resident of the area, I would be pissed at such comments.

Why would you tell roughly 35 millionaires and a couple of guys worth 10's of millions that your city doesn't want them to live there and help pay the taxes?

Makes zero sense. It doesn't cost the area a single penny more than what they are already paying to attract another business that generates $250M in annual revenue....and the mayor is saying thanks but not thanks?!?

Also he is quite the ass in having the gall to tell other cities that they shouldn't spend $$$ on NFL teams. A place like STL doesn't have any choice but to open up their wallets to keep/get an NFL franchise and all that comes with it. A place like LA because of it's size can play hardball that way and not have to dump tons of cash into it.

Dude is out of touch. After reading his comments, I am really rooting for this venture back into LA to fail all over again.
Because various experts and analysts have indicated that a second team would be too much saturation and not necessarily good for the area. Think about it: Los Angeles already has one football team, a hockey team, two baseball teams and two basketball teams not accounting the arena football. There is a good chance that the Chargers would be playing second fiddle to the Rams like the Clippers. I am betting, however the Chargers would have no problems filling the seats and making their money

Eugene Baker III

Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because various experts and analysts have indicated that a second team would be too much saturation and not necessarily good for the area. Think about it: Los Angeles already has one football team, a hockey team, two baseball teams and two basketball teams not accounting the arena football. There is a good chance that the Chargers would be playing second fiddle to the Rams like the Clippers. I am betting, however the Chargers would have no problems filling the seats and making their money

I read an article where the guy questioned whether the Chargers would draw 30K.

I have been in the Coliseum with 100,000 other people for The Who in 1981. Dodgers pulled 100k in 1959 there.

Hell, USC pulls around 50,000. UCLA 40-50K.

LA Rams gonna be 50K. 100k when the Raiders come to town.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest reason, however is that it's more fun to have one team in Los Angeles too root for and would be a lot more fun to see the Clippers(NBA) The Angels(MLB) and the Chargers(NFL) and the Duck(NHL) all in San Diego not to mention it would be fun to make a special trip once in a while to go down there to see a game. I know I am in the minority, but I just think it would be a better balance all the way around.

Eugene Baker III

Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest reason, however is that it's more fun to have one team in Los Angeles too root for and would be a lot more fun to see the Clippers(NBA) The Angels(MLB) and the Chargers(NFL) and the Duck(NHL) all in San Diego not to mention it would be fun to make a special trip once in a while to go down there to see a game. I know I am in the minority, but I just think it would be a better balance all the way around.

I do sneak up to Anaheim to watch the Ducks a couple times a season.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read an article where the guy questioned whether the Chargers would draw 30K. I have been in the Coliseum with 100,000 other people.

Hell, USC pulls around 50,000. UCLA 40-50K.

LA Rams gonna be 50K. 100k when the Raiders come to town.
Oh, I think the Rams will be sold out with standing room only in the first few years. After that the pressure will be on them to get better. I think the Chargers would draw the 50K without a problem, but I still like them better in San Diego and draws a better balance. The Rams will be the top NFL team though

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do sneak up to Anaheim to watch the Ducks a couple times a season.
I like the Duck - they quacked themselves to a championship real nice a few years ago which is remarkable considering they haven't been in the league that long

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers should stay in San Diego, but I'm not feeling good about that happening.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers should stay in San Diego, but I'm not feeling good about that happening.
It doesn't look good and honestly I think think they will be in Los Angeles when the season starts this year if they can get a deal without helping to much with the cost of the stadium and Rams owner has the money - He doesn't need any one's help - that's what makes this sweet for everyone. San Diego, however could negotiate a deal with the Raiders and give them control over the renovation of Qualcomm Stadium and let them move into the new stadium once it is done. It wouldn't be as good as keeping the Chargers, but I think the Raiders would draw the crowds nicely and everyone except Oakland wins

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't look good and honestly I think think they will be in Los Angeles when the season starts this year if they can get a deal without helping to much with the cost of the stadium and Rams owner has the money - He doesn't need any one's help - that's what makes this sweet for everyone. San Diego, however could negotiate a deal with the Raiders and give them control over the renovation of Qualcomm Stadium and let them move into the new stadium once it is done. It wouldn't be as good as keeping the Chargers, but I think the Raiders would draw the crowds nicely and everyone except Oakland wins
San Diego Raiders...:puke:

Eugene Baker III

Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know what to expect, it seems like SD Chargers is the best place for them but it's on Spanos to work with the city to make it happen instead of just focusing on LA.

Interesting the writer sat John and AG probably want to stay and Dean does nit...

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting the writer sat John and AG probably want to stay and Dean does nit...
Dean has pissed off San Diego fans plenty, I'm not surprised he wants to get out of town. He should seriously look at keeping them in SD, the question is will he?

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If chargers stay in SD and the raiders move to LA.....
They will instantly become the 4th place NFL franchise in Cali. I'd Imagine any "real" fans buying tickets in LA will jump ship too.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do he know he could get killed out here, telling the Raiders to stay away?