• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Huskies 2017 Season

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@WizardHawk @mcnabb7542 @AlaskaGuy

What do you guys think the odds are that Josh Rosen has a good game against the Huskies? Our secondary is quite deep, and has performed extremely well this year, but we are down our initial #1 and #2 corners.

I was thinking about it, and I honestly can't remember the last time an opposing QB had an objectively "good game" against the Huskies. Dawkins had a good game against us last year, but most of his contribution was on the ground.

Sam Darnold is really the only one I can think of in the last two years, and he even threw 2 picks. I think in terms of talent, Rosen is on pair, maybe better than Darnold depending on what traits you value. What can we expect from Rosen at UW? Is there any chance that Rosen tears up the UW secondary and keeps UCLA in this game?
He will get some throws in and I don't see UW holding them under 17, but I also don't see him lighting it up.

If you look at his numbers in conference this year he has as many INT's as TD's (6 each I believe). His rating in conference is quite low as well. They have no running game to force you to keep your safeties home. Rapp and that whole back end will be free to bracket and focus entirely on the pass game.

UW hasn't had the sacks this year they had last season, but I don't think you really have to get to Rosen to contain that pass game.

UCLA has had 3 road games this year: Memphis, Stanford, and Arizona. All 3 were losses. Even at home against Colorado and Oregon they managed 27 and 31 points respectively against those passing defenses.

I honestly see this thing going like 45 to 17 or something like that. That would still be the most points allowed this year by that defense. At most maybe they score 23? I can't see them going over 25 without any real run threat. I just can't.

As I said in the Pac12 thread, if they can't score over 40 I don't want to even hear about the playoffs again this year. That defense is horrible on the road and simply can't even slow down anyone's running game. This is their 'get right' game for sure and a tune up before beating the ever loving shit out of Oregon again.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will get some throws in and I don't see UW holding them under 17, but I also don't see him lighting it up.

If you look at his numbers in conference this year he has as many INT's as TD's (6 each I believe). His rating in conference is quite low as well. They have no running game to force you to keep your safeties home. Rapp and that whole back end will be free to bracket and focus entirely on the pass game.

UW hasn't had the sacks this year they had last season, but I don't think you really have to get to Rosen to contain that pass game.

UCLA has had 3 road games this year: Memphis, Stanford, and Arizona. All 3 were losses. Even at home against Colorado and Oregon they managed 27 and 31 points respectively against those passing defenses.

I honestly see this thing going like 45 to 17 or something like that. That would still be the most points allowed this year by that defense. At most maybe they score 23? I can't see them going over 25 without any real run threat. I just can't.

As I said in the Pac12 thread, if they can't score over 40 I don't want to even hear about the playoffs again this year. That defense is horrible on the road and simply can't even slow down anyone's running game. This is their 'get right' game for sure and a tune up before beating the ever loving shit out of Oregon again.

Good post.

My bigger concern is that I believe Rosen to be one of the most talented players in the country at QB right now. Both in terms of his future NFL value and his ability to rip your defense apart. That's a variable that is difficult to account for. Even with how bad UCLA's defense is, I'm surprised that Rosen hasn't won them more shoot outs.

I was kind of surprised that the Bruins were able to limit the Ducks to 4 YPC. Although that was also probably a product of the Ducks having absolutely no threat through the air.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post.

My bigger concern is that I believe Rosen to be one of the most talented players in the country at QB right now. Both in terms of his future NFL value and his ability to rip your defense apart. That's a variable that is difficult to account for. Even with how bad UCLA's defense is, I'm surprised that Rosen hasn't won them more shoot outs.

I was kind of surprised that the Bruins were able to limit the Ducks to 4 YPC. Although that was also probably a product of the Ducks having absolutely no threat through the air.
Exactly, the UCLA D did to the ducks, what everyone else has been doing to them. You can't be one dimensional in this league or you can't score many. UW has struggled running and when they do they suffer.

Rosen is the best QB in the conference, but he doesn't have the pieces around him to compliment it right now and with no running game at all that offense just isn't nearly the threat it should be.

If UW goes out and asserts the run the way they should it will open up a lot more of those deep passing routes. We will see how well Browning does with them, but they should be there to hit. I expect quite a few explosive plays on the ground and through the air.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say if the UW DL doesn't put pressure on him. I think if they get to Rosen a few times early on they can rattle him some.

Yeah UCLA Oline isn't the greatest thing, I believe they can pressure with the front 7 and the back end can man up with safety help over the top...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It didn't look good and the way Coach Pete stated it that's his way of code for, "yeah gone for the season!"

Seeing as how Bryant emerged as Browning's clear second best option, that's tough.

Last time I checked, PFF apparently had him ranked as the best freshman in the country. He was playing really well.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, not good at all. Does look like they are close to getting Murphy back though.

This is always the time of year where these things start piling up. This is why you keep more than just your scholarship limit on the sidelines. Shouldn't be desperate enough to burn red shirts, but they now do need someone else to emerge as a WR threat. Should be able to run all day on the ducks though so there's that.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bryant news isn't surprising. It didn't look good.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what I want to see? Points on the first offensive series. Even just a field goal would work, at least that means the kicker still works after last week.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what I want to see? Points on the first offensive series. Even just a field goal would work, at least that means the kicker still works after last week.
First points this coming week will be on a defensive return for TD. Book it.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First points this coming week will be on a defensive return for TD. Book it.
That's fine, just want the first offensive series to be points, too.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pac-12 Week Nine review: Analyzing the top players, games, coaches and statistics

Stat of the quarter century: Washington.

The ’91 Huskies, possibly the greatest defense the conference has ever known, allowed 237.1 yards per game.

The ’17 Huskies are allowing 236.3.

:nutswing:

Quite incredible how this defense has been able to pick up right where it left off after losing 3 members of the secondary to the 2nd round of the NFL draft. Even more impressive when you consider the injuries this team has suffered.

Back in 1991 teams didn't put up the offensive yardage numbers that they do today. In 1991, only 7 players managed to pass for more than 3,000 yards. In 2016, 37 players managed that feat.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite incredible how this defense has been able to pick up right where it left off after losing 3 members of the secondary to the 2nd round of the NFL draft. Even more impressive when you consider the injuries this team has suffered.

Back in 1991 teams didn't put up the offensive yardage numbers that they do today. In 1991, only 7 players managed to pass for more than 3,000 yards. In 2016, 37 players managed that feat.
Big part of that is all the pussy ass rules now that basically makes it so you can't play defense. Not sure how many more points would have been scored in the early 90's if you couldn't hit guys over the middle, had the stupid targeting rule, the extra protection of the QB's, etc. But undoubtedly it would have been higher.

Still, They will be closing out against 3 of 4 teams that can roll up points in a hurry and this is where we will see just how solid this defense is and/or how much of it was their early lighter schedule. They have to stop Freeman, Love, and Falk (or the other kid) and keep the overall yardage down on those teams to accept those numbers.

Obviously the one I'm most worried about is Stanford on the road with as bad of a road team as we have been. That offense can't sleep through that game and let the D get gassed all day or that 4th quarter will be brutal.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notes:
Did you all notice that Vizcaino hit 8 of 8 balls through the upright Saturday? (including PAT's of course). He hit FG's of 24, 26, and 31 yards (in that order even). None of them looked like wounded ducks. They were all end over end kicks that just looked like a kick is supposed to. Couple of different guys from the team said he sort of looked a lot more relaxed and dialed in after making that first one and getting his confidence back. Wouldn't trust him with a 40+ yarder with anything major on the line, but we need him to be a lot more confident the rest of the way. It was better than it has been in weeks and hopefully he builds off of that.

Brock and Mora got into a little back and forth after Huard called out the toughness of Rosen during the broadcast and Mora said basically don't listen to anything football Brock has to say. Said he's known him a long time and don't listen to him. :lol: They both kind of dialed it back a bit after that. More of a pillow fight than a Leach style hit job or anything.
UCLA’s Jim Mora fires back at former Huskies QB Brock Huard after Josh Rosen comments

Of all of the incredible stats right now on this UW defense, maybe the most impressive is that their opponents are scoring 55% of their season average when playing against that unit. In contrast, the '91 defense held opponents to something around 64% of their season average. So they might be facing some weaker teams, but no one is holding them as low as UW is no matter how good/bad their offense is against other teams. And it's not even close.
Lots of other historical context to the many insane things this defense is doing from the Times article:
The best defense in college football? Key numbers make the case for the Huskies

All of this talk about Herbert possibly being ready to return has stirred the pot around this weeks game.
Herbert looked 'ready' to play Tuesday, but Taggart remains coy
He's back in practice and making big plays there. That's not the same thing as facing Vea coming at you like a freight train though and there is no way anyone will know who is going to start until just before kickoff on Saturday. Is this just an attempt to keep UW off balance in their prep? Are they really on the fence? Who knows.

Vegas has responded though. The line that opened around -26 for the dawgs is now down to -17.5 on most of the boards. That's certainly a fair drop considering how much more dangerous Herbert is, even if almost no one thinks it will change the outcome.

Play him early and at least have a shot at an upset? Save him for those last few games and their bowl and have better odds of him making it through to the end? This is where we find out what kind of coach Taggart really is and how reckless/conservative he is vs what he says to the press.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see both QB's and Herbert is limited in the plays they give him.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas can drop it all it wants, but my gut tells me the Dawgs roll them big time. There is still the bad taste in their mouths from losing in the desert, and now that the first poll came out for the playoffs, they will come out with a chip on their shoulders and smack the Ducks around!

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas can drop it all it wants, but my gut tells me the Dawgs roll them big time. There is still the bad taste in their mouths from losing in the desert, and now that the first poll came out for the playoffs, they will come out with a chip on their shoulders and smack the Ducks around!
Oh they are going to beat the ducks to a pulp, but not because they care about any of that. They can deny all they want what the rivalry means to them vs the fans and other students, but you don't think they hear about it on campus? From family? Friends? Social media?

They want their streak to send the same message as last year.