• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hugh Freeze out at Ole Miss

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With probation around the corner, I imagine Ole Miss will have a very difficult time finding a new coach.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It gets him back into coaching.
They are about to get crushed by sanctions and recruit restrictions. He would have a better chance resurrecting his career with Rutgers. He can wait for a much better gig than that. He shouldn't be desperate.

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine any decent or young upcoming coach wanting any part of that ole miss job right now. You gotta think any good could get something better

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you imagine his offense with no talent.
Blind_3618d6_2710646.gif

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Went to the MSU-PSU game in 2004 hoping a horrible penn state team could win. After staggering through a boring first half, I watched drew stanton and MSU absolutely implode in the 3rd quarter to be down almost 30 points. That's when I realized how horrible of a coach John L was.

Sorry man

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine any decent or young upcoming coach wanting any part of that ole miss job right now. You gotta think any good could get something better
That's what I thought about Baylor.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I thought about Baylor.

He got paid though. Personally I think he picked the wrong conference for his style of play, but P5 head coaches have a fair amount of hubris about their abilities so I get it.

In his mind it's a no brainer. Life changing money at a place that is in a recruiting hotbed and has great booster support and facilities. Plus in his mind it's probably easier to win there than some place like Maryland or North Carolina State. If he gets his butt kicked he can say the fallout over their scandal was too much to overcome, he gets a DC position at a decent school and another shot in a few years. The problem is he has to win now in order to recruit talent that will keep him competitive long term. That probably won't happen. Baylor may be shady when it comes to getting talent but he can't completely sell out like his predecessor did and take kids other schools know are serious problems (not saying he would). He won't win many battles against Texas or OU so he has to find under the radar kids and beat out SMU and Houston for a decent portion of his roster. That works for schools that run fast pace offenses. You get decent talent and try and outscheme the blue bloods. Trying to shove the ball down their throat and getting three and outs doesn't work as well when the other team is filled with 4* talent and you have a handful of kids that could play there and a handful with two or three P5 offers.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus in his mind it's probably easier to win there than some place like Maryland or North Carolina State.

You may be right about "in his mind" it being easier to win at Baylor (I'm not so sure about it). But I don't think it will be considering what he inherited from Artie boy. Had he been hired immediately after Briles left and not lost the whole year of recruiting, he might be able to recover. I'm afraid next year might be his big recruiting nightmare if they get their teeth kicked in during conference play...which could very well happen.

Baylor may be shady when it comes to getting talent but he can't completely sell out like his predecessor did and take kids other schools know are serious problems (not saying he would).

This is just my opinion, but I'm not too sure a coach can win on a regular basis at the non blue blood schools WITHOUT taking a chance on some of those talented kids that have known problems. They can have flashes of competing for the conference title but really struggle to keep it going. They have to take a chance on some of the talented kids that are "rough around the edges character wise" knowing they will probably have to dismiss several of them along the way. That is where Briles messed up IMHO. Should have shown several of them the door early and he wouldn't have had to as much later on.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
53A4C340-9E90-490F-B6A4-46F4CB07299A_zpsg7y0pgk7.gif